Yay! Biden/Harris WIN

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
There is no "strong" message that we can craft that will magically crack the Right/Conservative bubble created by Fox News and social media.
There never is, never has been and never will be any of that kind of magic. True progress comes slowly and it's always two steps forward and one step back.

• 1Agree
Reactions: RodeejahUrquan

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There never is, never has been and never will be any of that kind of magic. True progress comes slowly and it's always two steps forward and one step back.
Time to use the nuclear option:

Armies of men of color dolled up in the most extreme, salacious satanic drag-queen outfits, sashaying about, lewdly screeching sincere support for all the typical right-wing talking points.

"Defund Plaaaned ParuntHood baby! Defund it! Women don't need no ma'am-o-grams!"
"Free Market Honey! Free Market is QUEEN! Don't you put your regulations on me! Nuh uh!"
"Build that wall! I don't want my cousin Pedro coming up here and takin my yob!!"
"States Rights! You don't like the laws in your state, YOU CAN LEAVE honey!"
"The only global warming 'round here is ME, cause I'm so dayum HOT!"
/groping crotch "You can have my gun when you pry it from my crusty old PANTIES!!"

The more ridiculous the better. Get them on talk shows, get'm on the news, get'm on the republican ballot.

Make the racist christianist homophobic republicans too damned embarrassed to be associated with the rhetoric. And keep running images of Rudy Ghouliani in Drag getting motorboated by Trump.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Not me... I lived in the southern part of Germany as a kid, so the Bavarian / Schwäbisch is easier to follow but high german sounds alien. :D
We've got this 30 year old Syrian refugee, who came in 2015 into the country. He decided to be able to better blend in he should not only be able to speak Standard German, but Schwäbisch and Badisch as well. So now he is giving dialect classes for refugees.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I don't agree with her party - but in times like this, I'm glad to have a chancellor who has a doctorate in quantum chemistry.
Adenauer and Kohl were chancellors in for Germany historically more important eras, but Merkel is IMHO the best chancellor Germany ever had so far and she has been very important for where the EU stands now, politically and economically.

• 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Adenauer and Kohl were chancellors in for Germany historically more important eras, but Merkel is IMHO the best chancellor Germany ever had so far and she has been very important for where the EU stands now, politically and economically.
We Germans normally tend to have rather long term serving chancellors, which is a bad thing for a democracy. Our chancellor is only head of the government but not the head of state, which is our president instead. Our president though has almost no real power, pretty much like the Queen of England. This is a result of the Weimar republic, where the president Hindenburg was able to bypass through executive orders many parts of the constitution without anything holding him in check. Last thing our founding fathers wanted to have is an unknown Ex Nazi as president, which could do harm to the fledgling state.

To give you some numbers: Adenauer (CDU, born 5th of January 1876) was the first ever chancellor, and he ruled for 14 years from 1949 to 1963.
Helmut Kohl (CDU) ruled for 16 years from 1982 to 1998.
Angela Merkel (CDU) rules now since 15 years, starting in 2005.

We also had some chancellors which ruled quite much less from the SPD mostly. But overall the chancellors ruling 14+ years are in the majority. So we got since 71 years of the foundation of the Federal Republic of Germany three chancellors, which make up 45+ years alone, which is just crazy 63%!

In my opinion no matter how good a politician is, (s)he will definitely grow stale over time in the office. This is why I definitely favor putting a hard limit on number of terms, like it is for the US president, in place. The limit should be 2 terms, which is 8 years.

Merkel for sure is a very smart woman, I mean she's got a PhD in theoretical physics she earned in the GDR. In fact her major power is that many people still do underestimate her totally, so the cemetery of her former political opponents is huge. Aside that she's since the last election basically a lame duck, just sitting there and waiting to get replaced, because she is also responsible for the biggest loss her party got in history in 2017. But she also shredded her party so much into pieces that internal opponents, if any, are rather weak.

Aside that she's not one of the best, but worst chancellors we had in our history. She's been a major grave digger and dividing force to the EU, and her political merits on the interior are nothing short about a desaster area of legendary proportions.

Last edited:

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Aside that she's not one of the best, but worst chancellors we had in our history. She's been a major grave digger and dividing force to the EU, and her political merits on the interior are nothing short about a desaster area of legendary proportions.
Eh?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Maybe we should open up a seperate thread for this discussion; suffice to say is that Merkel's only constant in politics is doing all to stay power, all other things are just variables to be used and abandoned as being seen fit.

Aside that her lasting, historical achievements in the interior are miniscule, on EU scale as well. She's been ignoring more of the pressing problems than solving them. In fact for example she was one of the biggest players on EU scale against implementing climate change politics on a large and necessary scale.

She's a make-believe giant, nothing more, nothing less - and waiting since 2017 to just get replaced.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Not me... I lived in the southern part of Germany as a kid, so the Bavarian / Schwäbisch is easier to follow but high german sounds alien. :D

Even so, she has a beautiful speaking voice, and I could follow about 30%-40% without the subtitles. :D

I so very much look forward to having a U.S. President once again able to actually conduct themself with as much dignity, class, and whatever the gender-neutral form of 'statesmanship' is.
I was born in Stuttgart, moved back to the US for 3-4 years, then to Frankfurt and then Munich - two years each. I can puzzle out reading German [I guess high german] and say a few words, but I can't write in it, because I don't have the foggiest - I guess my language is a mutt - and also, It has been over 40 years since I was around it much at all.

Also, hear, hear! I just hope we can continue to fend off the coup attempts. We shouldn't laugh since enough of our fellow citizens are buying it hook, line and sinker.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

President Donald Trump, on the other hand, appeared to have not said anything about the crash as of Thursday afternoon and instead focused on criticizing Fox News and complaining about the election he lost.
Add Business Insider to those who stopped giving a shit about catering to the ego of Trump.