2020 U.S. Presidential elections

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Here you go - not sure about the reliability of the NY Post, but this isn't the first time I've heard it. Democrats want to drop Joe Biden for Andrew Cuomo, poll finds
The NY Post is a shit newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch. In order of reliability the NY papers are the Times, Daily News, and the Post. The Wall Street Journal is also owned by Murdoch, and leans conservative. But since their main focus is financial news its not the same as the other three.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
You may not have noticed the dateline on that story

and the poll itself was from a partisan source
I am not a New Yorker but Cuomo seems pretty awesome to me.But Biden is doing just fine.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I am not a New Yorker but Cuomo seems pretty awesome to me.But Biden is doing just fine.
So, while once the shit hit the fan, Cuomo did a good job, but, from things I've heard, he'd gotten rid of some of those essential pandemic supplies before this hit - so some of why it hit NYC so bad is his fault [this from New Yorkers I know.]

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So, while once the shit hit the fan, Cuomo did a good job, but, from things I've heard, he'd gotten rid of some of those essential pandemic supplies before this hit - so some of why it hit NYC so bad is his fault [this from New Yorkers I know.]
I don’t hold lack of perfection per se against people.

bubblesort

I just stumbled across this Wikipedia page: The Curse of Tippecanoe. It might be an argument for voting for Biden, but it's kinda weird.

The way the curse works is that presidents who get inagurated in a year ending in zero get assassinated or die in office. It happened with Harrison in 1840, Lincoln in 1860, Garfield in 1880, McKinley in 1900, FDR in 1940, and JFK in 1960. The curse seems to have been broken by Regan, who was elected in 1980. He was shot, but did not die from it. Also, Bush the lesser was inagurated in 2000, and did not die. Somebody tried to kill him with a grenade that didn't go off so he escaped the curse of Tippecanoe.

What does this have to do with Biden?

Lets say we are superstitious, and superstitious people believe weird things, so we can ignore that Bush and Regan didn't die in office, because we want to believe the curse is still in effect. That means we believe that whoever wins this presidential election will die in office and his VP pick will take over.

That means you can make a voting calculation based on who you would rather see shot, and who do you want to take over when the president is shot.

As far as who has to take the bullet... that's a toss up for me. They're both assholes, I don't care about either of them.

The VP pick could tip the balance, though. Do people want Pence? Probably not. Warren? Yes! I'd vote for Warren (she isn't my ideal pick, but she's at least a halfway reasonable compromise for me). Anybody else? If they are better than Pence, then yes.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Cuomo had his chance to throw his hat in the ring for the presidential nomination, just like everyone else. He didn't do it, so whether or not some Democrats would have preferred him, it's a moot point; he didn't run. Barring some unforeseen emergency (which 2020 has been good at providing), Biden is our nominee. I can imagine a scenario where Biden was unable to proceed, in which case drafting a candidate could open the field back up again, but I can't imagine a scenario where Biden was replaced by Cuomo.

• 2Agree
Reactions: bubblesort and Eunoli

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
That Tweet leads an article which had this quote:
"With the leadership change in the campaign, there's understandably a review and fine-tuning of the campaign's strategy. We'll be back on the air shortly, even more forcefully exposing Joe Biden as a puppet of the radical left-wing," a senior campaign official told CNN.
:ROFLMAO:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Cuomo had his chance to throw his hat in the ring for the presidential nomination, just like everyone else. He didn't do it, so whether or not some Democrats would have preferred him, it's a moot point; he didn't run. Barring some unforeseen emergency (which 2020 has been good at providing), Biden is our nominee. I can imagine a scenario where Biden was unable to proceed, in which case drafting a candidate could open the field back up again, but I can't imagine a scenario where Biden was replaced by Cuomo.
Its sort of like all the 'Should Biden pick Michelle Obama as his running mate?' things - she does not want it, she keeps saying she doesn't want it, and its utter BS to keep trying to force the issue with these freaking polls.

PaperB

Oops I necro'd again...
SL Rez
OK you blue beauties, twitterati regardless of whatever may come:

I'ma remind you... Remember remember the 3rd of November (that one desrves a re-write)

• 1Like
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

danielravennest

SLU Posts
OK you blue beauties, twitterati regardless of whatever may come:

I'ma remind you... Remember remember the 3rd of November (that one desrves a re-write)
Indeed. Not too early to check your voter registration, in case you have been "mysteriously" dropped from the rolls. If your state allows it, find out how absentee/mail-in/early voting works in your area. They will help you avoid lines, and any last-minute fuckery at the polls. Check with your family, friends, and neighbors to make sure they are doing this as well.

PaperB

Oops I necro'd again...
SL Rez
oh and remind @HamillHimself , cause those Tatooine boys get lost in the sand. Jarjar no your done dude jarjar life don't matta..

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The Horrifying ICE Documentary Trump Doesn’t Want You to See

In 2017, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), in their infinite wisdom, granted a pair of filmmakers unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to their officers and facilities. And for nearly three years, Christina Clusiau and Shaul Schwarz captured the human toll of Trump’s zero tolerance immigration policy, which saw undocumented families ripped apart and placed in ruinous detention centers.

According to Clusiau and Schwarz, ICE—who were contractually allowed to review cuts of the series but to only request edits for privacy violations or factual errors—demanded that the series’ release be held until after the 2020 election, and that the request came from “all the way to the top,reported The New York Times. Despite governmental pressure, the resulting 6-part docuseries, Immigration Nation, is hitting Netflix on Aug. 3.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/democrats-demand-answers-from-us-ambassador-after-reports-he-asked-brazil-for-favor-to-help-trump-in-2020/2020/07/31/9e131c1c-d392-11ea-8c55-61e7fa5e82ab_story.html?hpid=hp_politics1-8-12_brazilusamb-1225am:homepage/story-ans

In a letter Friday to Ambassador Todd C. Chapman, House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Rep. Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.) and Western Hemisphere subcommittee Chairman Albio Sires (D-N.J.) cited a report in prominent Brazilian newspaper O Globo depicting Chapman telling Brazilian officials about “the importance for the [President Jair] Bolsonaro government of maintaining Donald Trump as U.S. President.” In the article, according to the letter, Chapman also communicated to Brazilian officials that it was important for their “government to do the U.S. a favor” by reducing ethanol tariffs, as those are important in the state of Iowa, a potential “key player” in 2020.