2020 Disasters just keep on coming

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Veritable Quandry

You’re probably already aware, but why not rub it in.
The definitions and notes in the dictionaries are worth reading. Where, exactly, is it commonly used? Any idea? (and don't saw the WoW forums! :p)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
What about inverse non-irregardlessness?

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
English is a mess of a language and it evolves in strange ways. I for one like that.
So the TV is on in the next room and I keep hearing someone saying "asshole road" so I go over to see what prompted this on daytime TV.

"Asphalt road." Pronunciation around the world is weird, yo.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
So the TV is on in the next room and I keep hearing someone saying "asshole road" so I go over to see what prompted this on daytime TV.

I was talking on the phone to a friend that I met in SL in 2007 the other day. He lives in Hawaii. He said, "I love hearing your accent as it has been awhile since we last spoke in person. I was like, "Say what, I don't have an accent and I definitely don't say, you betcha."

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
I was talking on the phone to a friend that I met in SL in 2007 the other day. He lives in Hawaii. He said, "I love hearing your accent as it has been awhile since we last spoke in person. I was like, "Say what, I don't have an accent and I definitely don't say, you betcha."
Relative who's lived in Greater Vancouver, BC all their life once told me, "Vangcouver* is the only place in the world where people don't speak with an accent."

*intentional spelling

Then again I originate from Emuntun which is north of Calgree, and that's nowhere near Trona or Mon Tree All.

Add: Midwest/Great Lakes people sound mostly accent free to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
My mom swears I don't have an accent, and maybe she's right - or rather I've a very neutral USian one. But then I spent my formative years living in Frankfurt W Germany, Augusta GA, Harrisburg PA, Point Pleasant Beach NJ, and was born in Stuttgart. Then in Munich and then Atlanta for 40 years, watching lots of British TV shows.

So, its possible its just I don't have any sort of regional one, so that counts, right?

• 1Like

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Relative who's lived in Greater Vancouver, BC all their life once told me, "Vangcouver* is the only place in the world where people don't speak with an accent."

Then again I originate from Emuntun which is north of Calgree, and that's nowhere near Trona or Mon Tree All.

Add: Midwest/Great Lakes people sound mostly accent free to me.
See now, those all sound perfectly fine to my ears, except maybe Trona would sound more like Tarono. :)

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I was like, "Say what, I don't have an accent and I definitely don't say, you betcha."
Accents are funny things which only other people have. To other people, I am an other person, so I guess I have an accent (NZ with a more-or-less RP tinge).

• 1Like

Jopsy Pendragon

Democracy was a nice experiment while it lasted.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Accents are funny things which only other people have. To other people, I am an other person, so I guess I have an accent (NZ with a more-or-less RP tinge).
A high school friend from Australia once exclaimed "You lost your accent!"
"Nah, I know where it is. But I seem to have found yours. ;)"

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Um. So are accents another one of the 2020 disasters?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Lexxi

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

It's not your fault, it's not my fault, it's the asphalt ... :ashamed: