2020 Disasters just keep on coming

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't think anybody expects things to be better on January 1, 2021. I think there is just a hopeful expectation that "things" will be better on December 31, 2021 than they were on December 31, 2020; and I don't think that hope is so unreasonable.
I'm unwilling to make predictions about the future right now, since there are so many unknowables.

I know the next few months are going to be very difficult for everyone because of Covid-19, particularly these new superspreader strains, and the US and the UK both have their own additional problems, in the form of Donald Trump and Brexit.

On the other hand, vaccines and new treatments should soon be making some kind of impact, so I'm looking no further than the late spring or early summer. Assuming I'm still around then, I'll see how things look at the time.

I'm hoping by then I'll have been vaccinated and that I can feel safe enough to visit a coffee shop or a pub for the first time since January or February this year. That'll be enough for me, but I'm very conscious of how privileged I am having a nice flat that I own outright, a job I do from home anyway that's not really affected by Covid, and I live alone and have no close family to worry about. How things are looking to people less fortunate than am I, I just don't know, but I can't imagine they're looking that good.

Things will look different this time next year, certainly, and it's certainly not unreasonable to hope that the virus will be better under control this time next year, but beyond that, I don't like to speculate.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have a concert ticket for a show that was supposed to be in July but is rescheduled for June 2021. I hope to be able to see a live show by then.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I'm hoping 2020 will be over by the end of 2021, but then I remember September 1993.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I think Trump will turn up like a bad penny in 2024; but even if he goes away completely (like to jail), he's going to leave a festering legacy in the US of voter factions that are personality-centered rather than party- or ideology-focused, and that wound will take a long time to go away....if it ever does.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I still expect that four years from now Trump will be sitting in a wheelchair drooling, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.
Ah, but Trump will be drooling in code that the next iteration of fanatic, QAnon-ish followers will be able to decipher.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Let's have kind disasters in 2021?

Well, it's certainly a nice hope. And unusual.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Lexxi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
No more new 2020 disasters in Europe, now the UK finally has 2021 too. New Year has arrived.

Happy New Year everyone.
Well, other than Brexit finally happening...

Sid

When life gives you lemons, trade them for coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Well, other than Brexit finally happening...
That agreement is an 2020 achievement.
And that it will not be a total disaster like a no deal, is an 2021 improvement, I guess.

Last edited: