2020 Democratic Primary

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
American politics are of global relevance. More than ever. A lot of people all over the world are watching these primaries and the coming election anxiously. An America that refuses to acknowledge and fight climate change, that incites new wars instead, and that has a health care system that will allow deadly viruses to spread even faster is a threat to us all. So, yes, we form opinions, too, and we even might have favorite candidates.
We appreciate global interest in our politics but may be a little sensitive just now about any sort of foreign intervention Such as trying to influence someone’s vote.
 
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Ishina

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 11, 2018
Messages
355
SL Rez
2002
Not Your Candidates, Not Your Fight. I consider your participation in this and other threads in regards to the American Presidential Election of 2020, to be the very height of chaos-agent trolling and asshattery. You're not just making general comments about the American political system or asking honest questions. You are actively promoting a single candidate and bashing all the others.
I've attacked Bloomberg and Biden for what I believe honestly to be good reasons. I like Sanders. I like Warren. The others I don't even remember saying anything about, positive or negative.

Your suspicion about my motives and dismissal of me as a forum troll has no substance behind it. You're flailing wildly.

You have crossed the line.
Stop putting it in a stupid place then.
 

Plurabelle Laszlo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
164
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
We appreciate global interest in our politics but may be a little sensitive just now about any sort of foreign intervention Such as trying to influence someone’s vote.
I really don't know if voicing opinions about Democratic candidates on VVO qualifies as 'foreign intervention'

edited to add - I think you changed your post the moment I answered to elaborate "such as trying to influence someone's vote." But my comment stands. Exchange of opinions is not 'intervention', it's a normal process of political communication. Even when heated. And on an international forum you can't expect all non-Americans to shut up.
 
Last edited:

CronoCloud Creeggan

Eliza, because Free says so.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
2,598
Location
Central Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
278
Holy shit, "chaos agent".
I can't even be mad, this is fruit loops.
Yes. Ishina has no skin in this game. Maybe she's a super-liberal social-democrat type in the UK, but here all she does is egregious Bernie-bro-ism. Huge numbers of posts on American politics. Did I post a dozen times a day in support of Boris Johnson and Brexit, or Jeremy Corbyn and not-Brexit? No! Because I'm an American and I don't have in depth knowledge of the sublying issues involved.

American politics are of global relevance. More than ever. So, yes, we form opinions, too, and we even might have favorite candidates.
Why yes, I quite agree. Having opinions is fine, but we're a little bit sensitive right now, so keep them close to your vest. Some of us know how Americans online have butted in to the discussions of politics of other nations when we shouldn't have. (Not even taking into the account the things our government has done over the years). I personally consider general statements, questions and jokes to be fine. Or saying "of all these candidates, I like X" that's okay, but if you start posting a dozen posts on X, especially if it's not generally known you're not an American...well lets just say I would get VERY testy.
Ahh well flamewar it is at least for now. Sleep.
The thread wants what the thread wants. I know, I'm contributing to the heat.
 

CronoCloud Creeggan

Eliza, because Free says so.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
2,598
Location
Central Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
278
I've attacked Bloomberg and Biden for what I believe honestly to be good reasons. I like Sanders. I like Warren.
Keep your opinions about specific candidates to yourself. You have no skin in our game. I would NEVER had done so in Brexit threads, what you have done in these American election threads. It would be...Rude.

Your suspicion about my motives and dismissal of me as a forum troll has no substance behind it. You're flailing wildly.
No, I'm quite sure you're a troll, or you wouldn't have the tag "Bernie Bro". Maybe you're a real-progressive, but you do like riling others up for the lolz, of that I am sure.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
I really don't know if voicing opinions about Democratic candidates on VVO qualifies as 'foreign intervention'
I mean the persistent aggressive lobbying type of voicing opinions. And however interested foreigners are, I don’t think anyone but an American can feel the grief and anguish we live with every day. It’s not academic, it is a relentless attack we daily endure, especially the most defenseless among us. It is traumatizing. We are desperate to restore our democracy, desperate for our votes to count for something. We want desperately to get this right. We really don’t benefit from outside spectators telling us how we should vote.
 

CronoCloud Creeggan

Eliza, because Free says so.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
2,598
Location
Central Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
278
Long time SLU/VVO user having a political opinion = Chaos agent is some damn fine hyperbole.
I'm not saying she's working for anyone, just doing it for the lulz. Let me restate, she has a LOT of posts on a country's primary election that does not involve her. I mean, how would the folks in the UK feel if I had done something similar in regards to Brexit or Scottish Independence. Or Canadians in their elections.

Besides, I'm not for sure that you're unbiased, I have the same doubts about you that I would if Charlemagne Allen started posting in political threads.
 
  • 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Monica Dream

Plurabelle Laszlo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
164
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
I mean the persistent aggressive lobbying type of voicing opinions. And however interested foreigners are, I don’t think anyone but an American can feel the grief and anguish we live with every day. It’s not academic, it is a relentless attack we daily endure, especially the most defenseless among us. It is traumatizing. We are desperate to restore our democracy, desperate for our votes to count for something. We want desperately to get this right. We really don’t benefit from outside spectators telling us how we should vote.
I have voiced my opinion about Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro and whoever quite loud and often (just not as often on this forum). I don't mind people commenting on German politics or politician, either - if I feel they lack knowledge, I am happy to share. We come from different political cultures. But be assured, watching what is going on in your country and -not- being able to change anything, to vote for anyone, is hard to endure, too. I have never watched the US inner politics so closely like in the past years, I have never really followed the primaries before. I do it now because it is relevant and painful to us, too. We want you to restore your democracy, for your own and the planet's sake. It -does- involve us, and we are grateful for those who fight this fight.
Nobody here is in the position to pressure you into voting for a specific candidate. I believe we are still entitled to voice our opinions and to share our perspectives.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
WTF?
Did I just get transported into another Mirror Universe even worse than the one I got put into in 2016?
I expected supposedly Super-Liberal Minnesnowta to go Bernie, even before Klobuchar dropped out. WTF happened Minnesnowta? If you didn't want Bernie, why not Warren? But you go Biden?
And American Samoa I don't know WTF is up with you, was Bloomberg spam Super-Effective with your small population?
I was surprised at first since last time we did go Sanders, but Veritable is correct.

Biden 38.69%
Sanders 29.93%
Warren 15.5% <<<<<My vote
Bloomberg 8.31%
Klobuchar 5.43%

Sanders and Warren split the progressive vote.
It could be argued that Bloomberg's presence and Klobuchar votes split the other direction, as well,

If we gather Warren votes under Sanders we get 45.43%. If we gather Bloomberg/Klobuchar votes under Biden we get 52.43% though Klobuchar's 5.43% might actually go either direction or be somewhat split.
 

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,395
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
9113
I'm not saying she's working for anyone, just doing it for the lulz. Let me restate, she has a LOT of posts on a country's primary election that does not involve her. I mean, how would the folks in the UK feel if I had done something similar in regards to Brexit or Scottish Independence. Or Canadians in their elections.

Besides, I'm not for sure that you're unbiased, I have the same doubts about you that I would if Charlemagne Allen started posting in political threads.
This is a public international board and she has the right to discuss international topics, the us election being one if she chooses so.

Having an opinion that doesn't line up with yours doesn't make her a troll nor does that make it "lobbying".
 

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,395
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
9113
Also I'm from the moon, but your earths gravity fucks with my station so I'd say i'm invested in the election too.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
Joined
Sep 22, 2018
Messages
892
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
2999
WTF?
I expected supposedly Super-Liberal Minnesnowta to go Bernie, even before Klobuchar dropped out. WTF happened Minnesnowta? If you didn't want Bernie, why not Warren? But you go Biden?
^This.

WTF happened tonight? Biden wins a state he was supposed to win and suddenly he's hot? Or, Buttigieg's say-so made it okay to vote Biden? Does anyone think he's going to hold up going forward? What's going to happen when he's on the debate stage with fewer people and they give him more time to talk? And then alone with Sanders? And then alone with Trump? How long is the gaff reel going to get this season before people wonder WTF they've done?

Sometimes I think the system is totally unfair, and sometimes I think we get just the result we deserve for being so easily manipulated.
 
Last edited: