2020 Democratic Primary

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
There is no point in continuing to tell me you have dirt on Sanders if you are not going to let me see it.
Seriously? You have not heard any of the problematic behaviors of Sanders? I assumed you just decided to support him in spite of it. In any case, you want to see it, there is Google.

I don’t hold it against him, tho. It was a long time ago.
 

Aeon Jiminy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2018
Messages
489
When I googled " Bernie Sanders Problematic Behaviors"
I got a pages of articles about his online supporters and one article about his indulgence regarding homes.
 

Ishina

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 11, 2018
Messages
355
SL Rez
2002
I just found out that he started COVID-19 so Americans would realise they need healthcare.
 
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer

CronoCloud Creeggan

Eliza, because Free says so.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
2,596
Location
Central Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
278
Nobody wants to hear actual facts.
Your "facts" are actually opinion pieces from people trying to rile up emotions. Some of them are from men who aren't actually democrats, and I'll say again, you aren't a Democrat either. Go on tell me who you voted for in past presidential elections and primaries as an "Independent". That goes for Ishina, Aeon, Anya, and Darnk too. It's a trust thing. You say you can't trust the "sell-out centrists"? Well how do I know that you're not just trolling autistic-libertarian-tech-bros who want to break the system for lulz, like I have seen on Slashdot.



I'll say it again, I like Bernie, but I don't think he has the right temperament for the Presidency. I like Biden too, but I don't think he has the right temperament for the Presidency. IMHO they should have both said, "you know what, if I run it's like I'm trying to make Fetch happen" and decided to not run. As I've said, I'd love to see Bernie as Secretary of Labor and Joe as Secretary of Transportation.

Was this about this time period?
Bernie could say the the things he did because he wasn't an elected official until 1981 and wasn't in Congress till 1991. He didn't have to deal with the political fallout. And even after he was in Congress, he had a safe district/state full of liberal gentrifiers.

A devout Catholic like Joe Biden couldn't say what Bernie did in 74, even if he wanted to, if he wanted to keep his seat. if He did, some NY or Boston Cardinal would have written something saying good catholics shouldn't support Joe Biden.
Warren is not a centrist, and I'm so sick of the constant slurs saying otherwise.
Me too.
Yeah, Bernie could do that, safe seat, and was an "I", no consequences for him. 1996 was after the Democrats received a drubbing in 1994 with Newt. They were afraid of it happening again so were scared of saying ANYTHING controversial. And Gay Marriage most certainly was to even Democrats in 1996. Remember, Bill Clinton was president because Democrats thought "we need a Less Liberal Southern Democrat, not a scary Super-liberal Damnyankee, to compete in the south for electoral votes" Even don't ask/don't tell was super-controversial at the time. Any Democrat in a competitive seat was going to have a hard time selling that vote to voters, that was the political reality of 1996

Bashing Democrats for pragmatically dealing with that reality is not reasonable

People forget that it was Biden pushing and getting out ahead of Obama on gay marriage that brought it about when it happened.
Indeed, and Transgender issues too.
Ok.
And Sanders got there in 1996.
Really that just makes Obama look bad.
Sanders is aSenator and former congressman from liberal gentrified Vermont, Obama was President of the Entire fucking country. Sanders could say all sorts of things he didn't have to worry about dealing with the fallout from because: Not literally a Democrat, and Vermont. Though he has NOT learned he can't do that running for President. Oh sure, I have no doubt that some of Castro's policies made life better for Cubans, but he could have done those things WITHOUT being Dictator for Life and having secret police. Americans have had decades of anti-commie dialog/media to seep into their brains, Red Dawn! Chuck Norris! Rambo! The Myth and Legend of Reagan. How did Bernie think the general public would react, not even taking into account the "Exiles" in Florida.

dragged USA into a war with Iraq,
Yeah, Biden was just a young kid of 60 years old when he sent America to invade Iraq. Let's give him chance to grow and mature.
How the fuck old are you? Were you a child in 2001? After 9/11 any Democrat who opposed intervention was branded a lover of muslim-terror who hated America and our Military. It would have been a tough vote for ANY Democrat who expected ANY competition for their seat. Bernie of course, didn't have to deal with any fallout, unlike a lot of other Democrats. Can you imagine the political ads that could have been used against Biden if he had voted against it?

I thought it was George and George W Bush who invaded Iraq (separate invasions, of course).
Oh you know how certain people on VVO are, Bernie is a Saint who can do no wrong, and every Democrat is a Satan barely better than Trump.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I voted today, not for the person that I feel can best beat Trump, but for the person that I truly wanted and have always wanted (aside from Castro who dropped out some time ago). SHE may not have a prayer in the end, but as so many are fond of saying here, I voted my conscience.

In the general I will vote for whichever person they present to me, but this is not that time.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,864
SL Rez
2007
I found this interesting because I was wondering myself.

Saw this earlier and it made me think of how siloed most in America are in their local communities... I work in a big office in a city with other young people who mostly all hate Trump except for two men who seem weird because of it... but we are nice to them.

On the other hand, many Trump supporters live in small towns where EVERYONE supports Trump except the weird goth girl on the corner, which makes it hard for them to accept polling data that says more people voted for Hilary.
 

Ishina

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 11, 2018
Messages
355
SL Rez
2002
How the fuck old are you? Were you a child in 2001? After 9/11 any Democrat who opposed intervention was branded a lover of muslim-terror who hated America and our Military. It would have been a tough vote for ANY Democrat who expected ANY competition for their seat. Bernie of course, didn't have to deal with any fallout, unlike a lot of other Democrats. Can you imagine the political ads that could have been used against Biden if he had voted against it?
I was living in a council flat in Manchester, England, the granddaughter of Pakistani Muslim immigrants. Tell me more about what the world was like after 9/11.
 

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
Joined
Sep 22, 2018
Messages
892
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
2999
I voted today, not for the person that I feel can best beat Trump, but for the person that I truly wanted and have always wanted (aside from Castro who dropped out some time ago). SHE may not have a prayer in the end, but as so many are fond of saying here, I voted my conscience.

In the general I will vote for whichever person they present to me, but this is not that time.
Good for you. I hope everyone does this. Let the votes, not the media, tell us who is most electable.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Your "facts" are actually opinion pieces from people trying to rile up emotions. Some of them are from men who aren't actually democrats, and I'll say again, you aren't a Democrat either. Go on tell me who you voted for in past presidential elections and primaries as an "Independent". That goes for Ishina, Aeon, Anya, and Darnk too. It's a trust thing. You say you can't trust the "sell-out centrists"? Well how do I know that you're not just trolling autistic-libertarian-tech-bros who want to break the system for lulz, like I have seen on Slashdot.
1. Wow. Such assumptions. You didn't list me among the posters, maybe because I'm tired of internet / VVO / SLU flamewars and only post about politics here a small amount. I will tell you A. I almost always agree with Cristalle's political postings. B) I have voted exclusively democratic for president my entire life.

2. Slashdot? It used to be a board of wonder, in the 90s and early 2000s. Now it is a barely a twinkle of its former self. It is sad. I haven't heard anyone even mention it for years. It's a kind of pathetic small place nowadays. The discussion is terrible.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,523
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Your "facts" are actually opinion pieces from people trying to rile up emotions. Some of them are from men who aren't actually democrats, and I'll say again, you aren't a Democrat either. Go on tell me who you voted for in past presidential elections and primaries as an "Independent". That goes for Ishina, Aeon, Anya, and Darnk too. It's a trust thing. You say you can't trust the "sell-out centrists"? Well how do I know that you're not just trolling autistic-libertarian-tech-bros who want to break the system for lulz, like I have seen on Slashdot.



I'll say it again, I like Bernie, but I don't think he has the right temperament for the Presidency. I like Biden too, but I don't think he has the right temperament for the Presidency. IMHO they should have both said, "you know what, if I run it's like I'm trying to make Fetch happen" and decided to not run. As I've said, I'd love to see Bernie as Secretary of Labor and Joe as Secretary of Transportation.


Bernie could say the the things he did because he wasn't an elected official until 1981 and wasn't in Congress till 1991. He didn't have to deal with the political fallout. And even after he was in Congress, he had a safe district/state full of liberal gentrifiers.

A devout Catholic like Joe Biden couldn't say what Bernie did in 74, even if he wanted to, if he wanted to keep his seat. if He did, some NY or Boston Cardinal would have written something saying good catholics shouldn't support Joe Biden.

Me too.

Yeah, Bernie could do that, safe seat, and was an "I", no consequences for him. 1996 was after the Democrats received a drubbing in 1994 with Newt. They were afraid of it happening again so were scared of saying ANYTHING controversial. And Gay Marriage most certainly was to even Democrats in 1996. Remember, Bill Clinton was president because Democrats thought "we need a Less Liberal Southern Democrat, not a scary Super-liberal Damnyankee, to compete in the south for electoral votes" Even don't ask/don't tell was super-controversial at the time. Any Democrat in a competitive seat was going to have a hard time selling that vote to voters, that was the political reality of 1996

Bashing Democrats for pragmatically dealing with that reality is not reasonable


Indeed, and Transgender issues too.

Sanders is aSenator and former congressman from liberal gentrified Vermont, Obama was President of the Entire fucking country. Sanders could say all sorts of things he didn't have to worry about dealing with the fallout from because: Not literally a Democrat, and Vermont. Though he has NOT learned he can't do that running for President. Oh sure, I have no doubt that some of Castro's policies made life better for Cubans, but he could have done those things WITHOUT being Dictator for Life and having secret police. Americans have had decades of anti-commie dialog/media to seep into their brains, Red Dawn! Chuck Norris! Rambo! The Myth and Legend of Reagan. How did Bernie think the general public would react, not even taking into account the "Exiles" in Florida.




How the fuck old are you? Were you a child in 2001? After 9/11 any Democrat who opposed intervention was branded a lover of muslim-terror who hated America and our Military. It would have been a tough vote for ANY Democrat who expected ANY competition for their seat. Bernie of course, didn't have to deal with any fallout, unlike a lot of other Democrats. Can you imagine the political ads that could have been used against Biden if he had voted against it?


Oh you know how certain people on VVO are, Bernie is a Saint who can do no wrong, and every Democrat is a Satan barely better than Trump.
Firstly, please don’t roll your eyes at me/my post. I don’t deserve that. Save it for the (few) people who snark and snap. Did you listen to the part where he said -in the present - that he had no empathy for the youth of today? And in which he was pointing out the role he and his generation played in the civil rights movement. If he can speak of his past actions that he is proud of, I don’t think it is wrong to point other actions during that same period. To lack empathy (his words) today for those trying to make things better and point to his own past when he was also trying to make things better is, I think, something interesting to post. You may not, and that’s fine. Those two things went together in my post.

Also, posting “certain people on VV1” followed by a dismissive generalization in a thread without naming them always makes a thread worst. Names please, or else some of us will think you are talking about them. Especially when you quote them among other quotes. People have their favourites, they’re allowed to post about how much they wish that they win, and who they dislike. Ishina is Ishina. She’s obsessive about Sanders, yes, but is the only one I’ve noticed being dismissive to anyone who doesn’t agree with her (see how I did that). Others are simply rooting for the one they want as their next president. You don’t have to agree, you could always post about all the things that are amazing about the one you prefer.

I think that many aren’t completely happy with the choices that are left so they are simply not gushing about the other candidates as much as Sanders supporters are. That’s it. If there was a “moderate” candidate that gave people hope à la Obama, or even Clinton, there would be just as many touting how wonderful they were.

Is it really so wrong to criticize candidates and their past and present actions/words in a thread about candidates in the primaries? If so, why?
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Well darn I guess $3.00 is good for a double hamburger at McDonald's on a hungry day.