Nobody Cares: PRS

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
they gotten healther since the last time you went there. Theres small selection of bottled organic juices, mini snacks.

They Make tiny breakfast sandwiches or yogurt or bagel... basically anything that compliments your coffee. Bigger locations sometimes even do lunch or protein bowls. Go to a location near a college or university. It's loaded.

Its just an old fashioned handmade doughnut. nothing like the one above.. which looks closer to the vile krispe creme.
Consider getting one of these (DeLonghi Dedica EC685) instead of throwing your money at Starbucks:

That's a perfectly okay entry level portafilter espresso machine. Much cheaper in the long run and you can make all kinds of coffee with it. Tastes better, too.

(If you feel like spending more money, the Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic would be an upgrade to the machine from the video.)

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Consider getting one of these instead of throwing your money at Starbucks:

That's a perfectly okay entry level portafilter espresso machine. Much cheaper in the long run and you can make all kinds of coffee with it. Tastes better, too.

(If you feel like spending more money, the Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic would be an upgrade to the machine from the video.)
This (which cost £5 at the local supermarket), combined with decent coffee, works for me most of the time:

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I have both, a good French press and a Gaggia Classic (I REALLY like strong, good coffee). Depending on my mood I'll use one or the other. I really do think that they bring very different tastes to the coffee.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I have never managed to make non-gritty coffee in a french press.

This is my coffee-maker of choice:

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I have both, a good French press and a Gaggia Classic (I REALLY like strong, good coffee). Depending on my mood I'll use one or the other. I really do think that they bring very different tastes to the coffee.
I completely agree. It's just that I don't think that I value the taste a Gaggia Classic brings to coffee sufficiently to want to buy one when I'm quite content with what my french press or my aeropress can do.

I have never managed to make non-gritty coffee in a french press.
What sort of grind are you using?

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I can;t give you grain size in mm or anything. I've tried chopper grinders (yes I know but it was what I had), burr grinders, coarse grind in adjustable burr grinders, and preground that claimed to be for french press.

I can't handle anything but cones with actual paper filters (don't get me started on reusable filters).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Jet forced to divert by swarm of grasshoppers

An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737-700, registration ET-ALN performing flight ET-363 from Djibouti (Djibouti) to Dire Dawa (Ethiopia), was on final approach to Dire Dawa's runway 15 when the aircraft flew through a swarm of grasshoppers and received a huge number of insect impacts into engines, windshield and nose of the aircraft. The crew went around, attempted a second approach but again needed to go around and diverted to their ultimate destination Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), where the aircraft landed safely about 90 minutes after departure from Djibouti.

The aircraft remained on the ground for about 11.5 hours for cleaning and a thorough inspection, which found no damage.

On Jan 15th 2020 The Aviation Herald received information based on a screenshot reportedly showing the report of the captain of the flight, that the aircraft was on approach to Dire Dawa's runway 15 when the aircraft entered a swarm of locust, it was like rain. The windscreen wipers were not able to clear the windshield anymore. The crew went around, climbed to 8500 feet, depressurized the aircraft, opened the cockpit side window and cleaned the windscreen by hand. The same happened on second approach to Dire Dawa. The crew again climbed to 8500 feet, cleaned the windscreen by hand again and diverted to Addis Ababa.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I have a Keurig.

*hangs head in shame*

But for what it's worth, my coffee of choice comes in compostable pods. Or I put my own grounds in reusable pods.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Consider getting one of these (DeLonghi Dedica EC685) instead of throwing your money at Starbucks:
I'm somewhat bemused by people spending money on fancy coffee machines. I bought a used Mr Coffee at Goodwill for $6, and buy cheap cans of coffee, but then add hazelnut flavored creamer and powdered cinnamon to it. That suits my needs.

• 1Like

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
ONE DONUT TO SEDUCE THEM ALL
ONE DONUT TO CLEANSE THEM
ONE DONUT TO ALLURE THEM ALL AND IN THE INSANITY CONVERT THEM
IN THE BIBLE BELT WHERE THE LOONIES ROAM
Looks more like Devanagari script.
No it is unmistakenly Tengwar, now hand over your nerd badge young lady, you just lost any rights to wear it ;)

Did some research - the LOTR donut sold as being Islamic is a prank played on Trumpettes at least since 2016. The same source that brought you the donut picture also made this gem I could not withhold from you:

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm somewhat bemused by people spending money on fancy coffee machines. I bought a used Mr Coffee at Goodwill for $6, and buy cheap cans of coffee, but then add hazelnut flavored creamer and powdered cinnamon to it. That suits my needs.
It's what you enjoy the taste of.

When I lived in the US, I had a Mr Coffee and bought cheap cans, too. It was OK, but I can see why hazelnut flavoured creamer and cinnamon would help a lot.

However, soon after returning to the UK and having been introduced to real coffee by someone who knew something about it (this is back in the late 80s) I've come to appreciate the various subtle flavours of different types of bean, without other flavourings, I now find I don't mind paying a bit more for the coffee, and I find the french press method works best for me, though I can understand why Argent prefers the somewhat different flavour of filtered coffee.

Yes, I can see why people pay for expensive coffee machines, because you can make wonderful-tasting coffee with those, but the question is, at least for me, do I find the taste so wonderful as compared with what I can do with my french press or my Aeropress (for a change) for everyday use that it would be worth spending all that money to buy the machine?

For me the answer is no, but some people have different priorities, and probably can't understand why I spend as much on various things as I do. Some people drink cheap beer and some prefer to pay more for more exotic tastes from microbreweries.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Seriously, best coffee I ever had I made with a Melita filter cone and paper filter. It helped me catch my wife.

Incidentally, Death Wish coffee is REALLY mellow despite being high in caffeine.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't know Death Wish coffee. I'm more into trying out different blends of Columbian, or Kenyan, or Peruvian or whatever. Good Peruvian is pretty mellow (it really sounds as if I'm talking about a rather stronger stimulant, doesn't it?).

ETA: Tea, now... that's a very different story. I drink more coffee than I do tea, but I have different blends of tea for different times of day, and depending what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. Again, though, a kettle and a teapot are pretty low-tech.

ETA 2: I found this review of Death Wish -- he comments on how mellow it is, too, though overall he seems to think it's a bit of a gimmick. Deathwish Coffee Review

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks