Dems Need To Learn From the UK Election to UNITE under one message: GET HIM OUT!

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Civil wars are big equalizers.
Could you provide some examples of where a civil war has worked out this way? It certainly wasn't the case for the U.S. and our last civil war. The wealth of the South wasn't "equalized", it was crushed. Over 150 years later, the American South is still mired in poverty.

Perhaps you mean "revolution" rather than "civil war"? Our first revolution from England worked out pretty well for us.

But in that revolution we went from the tyranny of monarchy to a democracy. A new revolution would overturn that democracy, and given the tenor of our times, we're more likely to end up under the heel of a religious theocracy. Not the "equal" I'm looking for, but your mileage may vary.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Perhaps you mean "revolution" rather than "civil war"? Our first revolution from England worked out pretty well for us.
Technically, that was a rebellion.

The problem in the UK is that Corbyn wasn't actually against Brexit, and TBH ran on a "troll the tories" ticket.

Aeon Jiminy

That's cute. Not my point, but it does the job.

Maybe I am in my own alternative universe, but I don't look at the past UK election and think " Hey I wanna get me some of that!".

If you really want to make this next election about one issue ... Trump, I'm afraid of the answer you are going to get back. I sure hope the Democrats are offering some solutions for the majority better than "oh, you're stupid", now go to the polls and admit you were wrong the last time around.

I think that people want more than just making the Democrats feel better about themselves. They need something to vote "for".

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
That's cute. Not my point, but it does the job.

Maybe I am in my own alternative universe, but I don't look at the past UK election and think " Hey I wanna get me some of that!".

If you really want to make this next election about one issue ... Trump, I'm afraid of the answer you are going to get back. I sure hope the Democrats are offering some solutions for the majority better than "oh, you're stupid", now go to the polls and admit you were wrong the last time around.

I think that people want more than just making the Democrats feel better about themselves. They need something to vote "for".
The hardcore Trumpians are not going to vote for Sanders or anyone who is basically anti-racism. They are not going to vote for redistribution to the poor, even if they need it themselves. A “jobs program” is still redistribution if it’s not market relevant. So what do these people want, besides theocracy and a roll back of the Civil Rights era? I’m not seeing it.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
A few people have referenced the idea you must oppose Trump if you "aren't in the top 0.1%..." But I want to point out that quite a few billionaires are actually pretty liberal. It's only very short sighted rich fuckers who only care about dodging taxes. Even if you are rich as hell and only care about your stock portfolios going up, almost any legitimate economist will tell you that the optimal level of welfare in an economy is more than zero. Hordes of desperate, disenfranchised poor people are really, REALLY dangerous for rich people. Basic housing, healthcare, food stamps, internet, education and the like can really cut down on crime and help get people back into the workforce.

It is the warmachine that drains our economy and hurts my returns on stocks, not welfare.

EDIT: While we are on the subject, Trump's success in blowing up the EPA also worries me a lot. That kind of thing really does help the economy look better in the short run, but we will pay dearly for it down the road... The fact that it helps the economy look good in the short term helps sell it to the public and I find that disturbing.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
EDIT: While we are on the subject, Trump's success in blowing up the EPA also worries me a lot. That kind of thing really does help the economy look better in the short run, but we will pay dearly for it down the road... The fact that it helps the economy look good in the short term helps sell it to the public and I find that disturbing.
I was thinking of throwing this in the Generational thread I've been enjoying pissing people off with but it could probably be a better fit here:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I do wish people would get more involved locally. That’s what builds up the machine to elect Mayors and Governors. It’s the difference between a place like Vermont and places where religions run things, because they’re most of what is organized on the ground.

Very definitely we should try to get DC and PR become states, if they want it. This would help fix the way the Senate is not representative. Otherwise perpetual minority government is going to run us into the ground.
The Rs always trot out the wording of the constitution, even though it technically is not with them. The federal district is stated as "no more than 10 miles". There is absolutely no reason why the majority of DC can not just become a state as most of it is just the typical stuff you would expect in any city: houses, business, local utilities, and so on. In fact, a lot of it was given back to VA years ago, which is why it has a strange shape that looks like a tilted square with a bite taken out of it .

The real reason, which they will never say, is both have high minority populations. DC already has a voting record as heavily D.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Zaida Gearbox

Of the few political ads I've seen Bloomberg is the only one really pushing the get Trump out at all costs message. All the other Dems are too busy fighting amongst themselves.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
That's pretty ridiculous. They have all said ad nauseam to get rid of trump. I personally feel everybody talks too much about him and not what america needs going forward after his divisions.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
That's pretty ridiculous. They have all said ad nauseam to get rid of trump. I personally feel everybody talks too much about him and not what america needs going forward after his divisions.
Bloomberg isn't very high on my list of preferred candidates, but the commercials I've seen from him pretty much hits those marks pretty well, without any of the mud-slinging so common in political advertising.

• 1Thanks

Zaida Gearbox

According to NPR, the debating candidates unanimously asked the DNC to allow more people on stage.
Including Marianne Williamson? I don't know why but Hubman loves her. He thinks she's funny. Of course, he might now think that if he thought she might get the nomination.

Zaida Gearbox

I did say I've only seen a few political ads.... probably because the only time I watch tv is when I'm at the gym, and Bloomburg ads are on every morning. The only other person I see as much of is Tulsi Gabbard ads keep coming on before YouTube will let me watch my video, and she's too busy cozying up to the right and libertarians to come out and say GET HIM OUT. I'm starting to think she really is trying to set the stage for a 3rd party run, but the way she is running her campaign it'll pull votes from Trump not the Democrats.

• 1Agree