2020 Disasters just keep on coming

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,424
SLU Posts
18459
I don't think anybody expects things to be better on January 1, 2021. I think there is just a hopeful expectation that "things" will be better on December 31, 2021 than they were on December 31, 2020; and I don't think that hope is so unreasonable.
I'm unwilling to make predictions about the future right now, since there are so many unknowables.

I know the next few months are going to be very difficult for everyone because of Covid-19, particularly these new superspreader strains, and the US and the UK both have their own additional problems, in the form of Donald Trump and Brexit.

On the other hand, vaccines and new treatments should soon be making some kind of impact, so I'm looking no further than the late spring or early summer. Assuming I'm still around then, I'll see how things look at the time.

I'm hoping by then I'll have been vaccinated and that I can feel safe enough to visit a coffee shop or a pub for the first time since January or February this year. That'll be enough for me, but I'm very conscious of how privileged I am having a nice flat that I own outright, a job I do from home anyway that's not really affected by Covid, and I live alone and have no close family to worry about. How things are looking to people less fortunate than am I, I just don't know, but I can't imagine they're looking that good.

Things will look different this time next year, certainly, and it's certainly not unreasonable to hope that the virus will be better under control this time next year, but beyond that, I don't like to speculate.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,483
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
I have a concert ticket for a show that was supposed to be in July but is rescheduled for June 2021. I hope to be able to see a live show by then.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,930
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
I'm hoping 2020 will be over by the end of 2021, but then I remember September 1993.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,975
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I think Trump will turn up like a bad penny in 2024; but even if he goes away completely (like to jail), he's going to leave a festering legacy in the US of voter factions that are personality-centered rather than party- or ideology-focused, and that wound will take a long time to go away....if it ever does.
 
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,686
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Let's have kind disasters in 2021?

Well, it's certainly a nice hope. And unusual.
 
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Lexxi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
No more new 2020 disasters in Europe, now the UK finally has 2021 too. New Year has arrived.



Happy New Year everyone.
Well, other than Brexit finally happening...
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,366
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly