WTF Climate Change News

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Nervously thinking about the fact that I live barely a mile or so from the sea...
Same here - I can walk to the shore of the Bay which is only separated from the Gulf by a thin strip of a sandbar/island - the good news is simply that we're currently high enough that worst case, we're on the one part of Florida that -will- remain above water [unless the worst case projections aren't worst case enough]. The bad news though is that we'll need a boat to get anywhere.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

Even in a generally solid article like this one, I still see reality-avoidance, and from people who should know better.

“What we have now is the absolute environmental demonstration or evidence of just how dramatic the impact of climate change is going to be. This is not going to stop,” Browner told me. “There is going to be something next year, and the year after, if we don’t get on it.
This "if we don't get on it" qualifier implies that if we DO begin acting, that the climate won't get worse. This is absolutely untrue. No matter what we do now, the climate will continue to worsen anyway; that escalating degradation is already baked in from the current level of CO2 and methane, plus the feedback loops from permafrost thawing and polar ice melting. At best, our actions can prevent things getting even worse than they would otherwise at some point in the future, but they are still going to get worse, not better, within our lifetimes (and generations to come).

This timidity about stating the true status is not helping people prepare. Things are going to get bad, then worse. If we act now we may prevent the most catastrophic version of worse, but we're still going to end up hurting a lot more than we are now.

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Nervously thinking about the fact that I live barely a mile or so from the sea...
It's not so much the horizontal distance as the vertical. If you are at least 5 meters (16 feet) above sea-level, you are unlikely to be affected by storm surge or sea-level rise in your lifetime.

Note: I don't know what part of the world you are in.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
General Electric to pursue exit from new build coal power market

BOSTON, Mass.—September 21, 2020— GE (NYSE: GE) announced today that it intends to exit the new build coal power market, subject to applicable consultation requirements. GE’s Steam Power business will work with customers on existing obligations as it pursues this exit, which may include divestitures, site closings, job impacts and appropriate considerations for publicly held subsidiaries.

GE will continue to focus on and invest in its core renewable energy and power generation businesses, working to make electricity more affordable, reliable, accessible, and sustainable. GE Steam Power will continue to deliver turbine islands for the nuclear market and service existing nuclear and coal power plants.
Besides light bulbs and appliances, GE makes wind turbines and power plant turbines that produce electricity. The US hasn't built a new coal plant in five years, and shut down a quarter of the existing ones in that time period. But other parts of the world are still building new ones, so this is a positive step in terms of not making things worse.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
There have been so many hurricanes this year in the Atlantic area, that the meteorologists are running out of names now. Having reached W already, they want to switch over to Greek names now.

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I’m moving to the desert 🌵, so fuck everyone else. And my son tells me that he has no plans to reproduce, so there’s that.

i sure would’ve hoped that civilization would’ve lasted a few years longer than me.

• 2Hug
Reactions: Sid and Archer

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
There have been so many hurricanes this year in the Atlantic area, that the meteorologists are running out of names now. Having reached W already, they want to switch over to Greek names now.

Yeah, they've done this before, and this year, Beta has just dissapated a couple of states over. Its very odd that when I last looked at the NOAA HC page, there was -nothing except those remnants, though being in the Gulf, I'm kind of glad for the reprieve

ETA Actually, the remnants are apparently around Huntsville Alabama now....

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
And I certainly didn't ask for links to said novel...

• 1Hug
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Tigar and Fionalein

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I’m moving to the desert 🌵, so fuck everyone else. And my son tells me that he has no plans to reproduce, so there’s that.

i sure would’ve hoped that civilization would’ve lasted a few years longer than me.
Are you planning on taking water with you? Because the desert is running out.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's not so much the horizontal distance as the vertical. If you are at least 5 meters (16 feet) above sea-level, you are unlikely to be affected by storm surge or sea-level rise in your lifetime.
Presuming of course, your home is still habitable without the utilities and access that were less elevated.

My home would be fine, I'm at ~280ft above sea level. My power, comms, water would probably be gone, as would the rails/roads that bring food/services to my future isolated island.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Ashiri