Why Chicken Sandwiches Are Taking Over America

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I've never been in a Chick Fil A or tasted their chicken partly because of their yucky politics.
Even before I knew about their Evangelical ties, I avoided them because I associate them with terrible mall food (which is how they started).

Panda express is in the same category as far as quality. Why get GREASY mall food Chinese when I can order *way* better stuff for delivery.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Boo!

Oh, yeah OK but I love their sides!
That's the way to deal with Boston Market - just get a bunch of sides. They somehow manage to cook any flavor out of their meat.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Mommy Milky💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Honestly I prefer most chicken boneless unless it's bbq most of the time and like fried chicken cold more than hot.

Hot chicken greasy globs put me off sometimes and can be a texture nightmare.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Talking about chickens... there's a dark secret in the mass production of them: millions of young poults are getting killed year by year because they are male. Only few select do survive to have sex with the hens, the rest is just considered as unnecessary cost because they don't lay any eggs and therefore as trash. So their live is utterly worthless for the industry.

Around 7 billion chickens get culled per year because of that world wide.

Jamie Oliver of British cooking fame once made this a topic. He invited some of his friends for chicken dinner... (don't open if faint of the heart).

and killed a young poult using carbon dioxide in a transparent glass box, so it was not able to breath any longer. This poult though was fortunate, because most other poults are just getting killed without any anaesthetics one day one of their existance by getting rolled through a meat grinder.

Needless to say his friends were shocked and lost their appetite, and were even more shocked when they heared about the grinder.

Chickens are just collected like this for the grinder:

The US farming industry by the way hopes to be able to determine the sex of an egg somewhere in 2020, so they can just pull out male eggs on time. Of course this process in the end needs to be as cheap as a meat grinder, otherwise only law enforcement will make it wide spread.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Mostly in lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
As if the female chickens have a better life in the mass production industry.
12 Chickens living per square meter in a barn are already considered to live a better life than the standard housed ones. Go figure.
So my home office 4 mtrs long and 2 mtrs wide is considered a suitable living space accommodate 96 (!) chickens.

The really screwed standard housed chickens have about the living space of a standard sheet of A4 paper! (No longer allowed in the EU)

Maybe those male youngsters are the ones that are better of, being killed within hours after birth.

• 1Thanks

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Fuck you, spoilsports and have a BBQ chicken sandwich.

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Sid

Mostly in lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The Fried Chicken day is July 6.
But soon coming up Chicken Soup For The Soul Day on November 12.

International Respect For The Chicken Day is Ma..... Is this a nobody cares thread?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Best chicken sandwich is Jack in the Box Sourdough Grilled Chicken Club but the Burger King grilled chicken sandwich is decent.

Note that neither of these are fried.

PS: Yesterday was national fried food day. I had fruit and granola in yogurt for lunch in honor of it. Plus I got a bonus 750 points.

Sid

Mostly in lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I just had chicken in a sweet-sour sauce with veggies, pineapple and rice.
To make it somewhat on topic: I forgot to use some sandwich bread.

• 1Like

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Maybe the problem with Popeyes is regional? Here they're really freaking good, but we're also only about three hours from Louisiana [well, NOLA, the border is closer], so maybe that's it?

And I miss old KFC before they got bought out by Pepsico..... when there was actual original recipe.

• 1Thanks

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I read a book once where they analyzed stuff like that, published back in the '80s, and the special bag of "11 different herbs and spices" at that time was basically salt, pepper, and MSG.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Must be another KFC-thing where the quality depends heavily on the franchise or regional manager.
Last time I was in a KFC $7 was a huge sum to pay for a fast food meal, so it's been a while. I ordered what I thought would be a huge feast and some of it would be coming home with me. A four-piece meal with three sides or something. I got what would charitably called scraps of chicken and my sides were served in condiment cups. I'm assuming it was disgruntled staff. If it had happened in 2019 I would have photographed it.

Sid

Mostly in lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
If the food was even half of what they show in their ads, I would most likely eat every day in one of the fast food joints.
But at home I have a far better chef:
Me.

• 1Agree

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Not sure why, but chicken sandwiches have never really been my thing, at least on buns. I very much prefer chicken in its million other forms whether it be something like Hawaiian chicken mentioned above, fajitas, roasted, etc... My favorite would be spatchcocked chicken.

I agree that, if you're short on time, picking up one of those roasted ones and shredding it for other purposes can be convenient.

• 1Like

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I've never been to Chick-Fil-A. I know some people who swear by they're sammiches, but they can't be good enough to get me to see past their biased.
Never been to Popeyes either do I can't comment on them.
I've been to Boston Market, and I think the quality mustnvary by branch.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
The local Chik-Fil-A drive through doesn’t seem very good to me, the food is boring. I do like Popeye’s and haven’t found a bad one. KFC is sometimes too greasy, but I like their chicken pie. I really like the Jack in the Box chicken sandwiches. I don’t eat out often so I’m not getting too much. I’m more likely to eat a bean burrito in a drive through these days.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That's the way to deal with Boston Market - just get a bunch of sides. They somehow manage to cook any flavor out of their meat.
For real, I would commit a crime for some of Boston Market's macaroni and cheese, but I've never enjoyed any of their entree meat whenever I've tried it.