Why Chicken Sandwiches Are Taking Over America

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Last time I was in a KFC $7 was a huge sum to pay for a fast food meal, so it's been a while. I ordered what I thought would be a huge feast and some of it would be coming home with me. A four-piece meal with three sides or something. I got what would charitably called scraps of chicken and my sides were served in condiment cups. I'm assuming it was disgruntled staff. If it had happened in 2019 I would have photographed it.
Maybe a very cheap franchiser.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
For real, I would commit a crime for some of Boston Market's macaroni and cheese, but I've never enjoyed any of their entree meat whenever I've tried it.
I felt that way about their tortellini salad. I used to get a giant order and just have that as my meal. They freaking discontinued it though - the rest of their sides are mediocre. I thankfully found a copycat recipe that is close enough that I can make it myself, but I never eat at Boston Market anymore because they are dead to me.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
The really screwed standard housed chickens have about the living space of a standard sheet of A4 paper! (No longer allowed in the EU)
I never eat at Boston Market either.
Mainly because the nearest one is about 6000 km away from my home. :D
That's true but at that distance you do get your choice of New York City or Kuwait.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Back on topic though; chicken sammiches, my opinions. Hmmm....

I will say as a rule that breast fillets are better than chicken patties, the kind that are shredded and formed. Having said that though, I will confess that BK's original chicken sandwich, which is one of the latter kind, is one of my guilty pleasures, when it's made fresh. I'm not recommending it, it's just a weird thing that I personally like.

For "real" chicken sandwiches though, hmmm. It's kind of hard for me to decide, because It just really seems to me that 90% of all the chicken sandwiches out there are indistinguishable from each other, no matter who makes them: "standard fast food chicken breast sandwich" (SFFCBS). And the ones that do stand out, that I liked, aren't around anymore.

I really really liked BK's "tendercrisp" and "tendergrill" chicken sandwiches, they were truly different from anything else out there. But they got rid of both, replacing them with SFFCBS.

McDonalds always had SFFCBS, they just change the names once a decade or so. The newest one has "buttermilk" in the title, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference. A few years back McD's HAD a "southern-style chicken sandwich" which WAS a little different! Got rid of it, though.

It doesn't help that both BK and McD, and everyone else, are on this kick where they all wanna use brioche buns for their chicken now. I mean brioche is okay as a bread, but it toasts too "hard"; the chicken and garnish just wants to slip right out the other side of the bun when you take a bite. Especially grilled chicken, it's so slippery as it is. I have to like hold the sandwich all weird to trap the chicken inside while eating it. It makes those sandwiches irritating to eat.

I don't eat at Wendy's any more at all, but when I did, it was SFFCBS so meh.

Chick Fil A's sandwiches are actually different, I'll give them that; but aside from the moral thing, I never really was a huge fan because their allegedly fried chicken sandwich isn't crispy at all, wth? Was always weirded out by people gushing over them.

When I was very little, KFC actually had an original recipe chicken sandwich, which I liked back then. They gave it up a long time ago, though; except for those silly little chicken-strip sliders they don't really do sandwiches anymore.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In August, the Restaurant Brands International chain sold out of its new chicken sandwich in a little more than two weeks. The supply was supposed to last until the end of September.

The sandwich was designed to help Popeyes compete with Chick-fil-A, the market leader in fast-food chicken. It will return on a Sunday — the day of the week that all Chick-fil-A locations are famously closed.
Popeyes is planning to hire 400 more employees for the increased demand. So, do chicken sandwiches lead to higher employment?

• 1Like

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I may very well have to try one of the Popeye's sandwiches just to see what all the hype is all about.

• 1Like