disney+ WandaVision

danielravennest

SLU Posts
What is MCU?

(Does that answer your question?)
Marvel Cinematic Universe. The connected series of movies starting with Iron Man in 2008 through Spider-Man Far From Home in 2019. It loosely includes 10 TV series more or less set in the same universe, with Wandavision being the 11th but is explicitly in the main story line.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Thank you, I figured it was something like that. And since I haven't seen any of them except for the first Dr. Strange, I'm missing all the backstories.
Disney+ has a very helpful "In Chronological Order" listing for the movies, starting with Captain America:The First Avenger. I've gone through the entire thing twice now. It doesn't include the Spiderman movies unfortunately, which are worth taking a detour to watch when they become timely.

My favorites are definitely Doctor Strange, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Avengers: Age of Ultron

If you were to skip any, the first hulk movie (banner got recast after it) and maybe Thor: Dark World, which dives into some obscure Norse mythology. They still manage to tie it into the main story line, but it's a stretch.

And the 'end credits' scenes are usually worth jumping through the credits for, they really stitch the movies together.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
You could watch the end credit scenes by themselves but . . . not that informative.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I find it a brilliant piece of work all around. Its a wonderful homage, the storytelling is great, and the episodic format is great for a mystery, imo.

But then, for 35 years, my method for picking stuff is, if critics pan it, I'll most likely enjoy it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Ghost Pepper

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I ended up watching Kick-Ass the other night.
I didn't realize Evan Peters was in it too. Proof that Quicksilver is soooo fast he can transcend time, space and alternate dimensions to be friends with himself? HmmMMmm.

Shame they had to kill off the Aaron Taylor-Johnson version, he's definitely got the superhero bod going for him. :)
eta spoiler tags for anyone not caught up through episode #5?

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Ooh, good one, especially given who Agnes turns out to be.
Yeah big reveal at the end. This episode also has the first post-credits scene.

I don't get how Agatha is the villain since in the comic books she was an ally and teacher to Wanda. Unless this is her somehow helping Wanda. Of course they could just be making her different from the comic books.

Nexus was the commercial and in the comic books it's a cross-dimensional gateway where all of the multiverse intersects.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Yeah big reveal at the end. This episode also has the first post-credits scene.

I don't get how Agatha is the villain since in the comic books she was an ally and teacher to Wanda. Unless this is her somehow helping Wanda. Of course they could just be making her different from the comic books.

Nexus was the commercial and in the comic books it's a cross-dimensional gateway where all of the multiverse intersects.
We were just talking about this after we watched. Who knows - in the comics Ronan was more a good guy than a bad one, as far as I can find out, too....

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In the comics, Agatha had to destroy Wanda's children to protect the world. It's likely Wanda would see her as a villain for that.

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
About those 'commercials' in the show... (spoilers up through episode #7 'breaking the 4th wall')
So, the commercials seem based on The Infinity Stones, no?

Stark's Toast'mate' = the toaster controls look almost like a robotic face... so it's vision and The Mind Stone?

Strucker's Watch = The Time Stone reference clearly.

Hydra Soak = blue box = tesseract = The Space Stone?

Yo-magic Yogurt = Like the kid, Red Skull was trapped alone with the thing he couldn't possess. The Soul Stone?

Lagos paper towels. I thought these were related to The Aether (liquid form of the Reality Stone in thor:darkworld's) but most then there's...

Nexus Anti-depressants, another red product, focused on reality, so The Reality Stone again?

I was expecting a commercial with the purple themed 'Power Stone' this episode. Maybe that's still coming, or maybe the villain reveal was sort of a TV-spot all its own, because Agath's powers are very clearly 'power stone/purple' based.

Anyway, did anyone else pick up on the opening credits music being kind of a MCU version of 'The Office''s intro music? Nice touch. :D

• 1Interesting

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
We were just talking about this after we watched. Who knows - in the comics Ronan was more a good guy than a bad one, as far as I can find out, too....
She could be using Wanda to stop or trap Mesphisto. There is also still the case of the missing person that got Jimmy Woo involved. Agatha could be looking for that person as well. Maybe we'll find out next week.

I think we could be viewing Agatha through Wanda's eyes. As far as we know she hasn't really killed anything except for the dog. Some of things in this show makes us think that something else is happening than what really is.

bubblesort

I haven't really read comics since the 90s, but Agatha Harkness seems to suggest a Fantastic 4 tie in, maybe? I think I remember her more from Fantastic 4 than anywhere else. An MCU Fantastic 4 would be a spectacular disaster, though. I mean, I'll totally watch it, just to see how bad it is, because Fantastic 4 is just cursed. It's the Macbeth of superhero films. Nobody has ever made a good Fantastic 4 film.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Okay, so I'm rewatching the first 7 episodes; its obviously a mystery disguised as a sitcom homage.

I've noticed a few things I didn't notice at first. For example, not only are there hexes on everything in the little pocket of sitcom, but outside as well. The SWORD director is obviously a baddie, and there is a hex on the tactical map in one scene.

Hexes also seem to be associated with Hydra, at least in the commercials.

Shield was infiltrated by Hydra. What if the director is one of the baddies, because he's with Hydra?

And yes, its also possible that Agnes is trying to draw out Mephisto and playing some sort of long con, but its hard to see that after this week's episode.

As for another thing, I noticed that Norm didn't say 'Wanda is in my head' he says 'She's in my head'. Of course, Wanda is a telepath.

In MCU she's a telepath and a telekinetic; no magis at all, so... where is she getting the magic stuff from? Unless I'm misremembering things; she's always been scary powerful, but some of the stuff going on looks like either she's merging with the original magical mutant, now Disney owns Fox and has that part of Marvel back, or something else is going on.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Marvel Cinematic Universe. The connected series of movies starting with Iron Man in 2008 through Spider-Man Far From Home in 2019. It loosely includes 10 TV series more or less set in the same universe, with Wandavision being the 11th but is explicitly in the main story line.
Agents of Shield
Agent Carter
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Iron Fist
Luke Cage
Punisher
Defenders
Inhumans
Cloak and Dagger
Runaways

Wandavision would be number 12.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I also just wanted to comment on the Kick-Ass thing, the connection was almost extra good except Evan Peters didn't reprise his roll in Kick-Ass 2. His character becomes the super hero Ass-Kicker. Opposite the other Quicksilver's Kick-Ass.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I haven't really read comics since the 90s, but Agatha Harkness seems to suggest a Fantastic 4 tie in, maybe? I think I remember her more from Fantastic 4 than anywhere else. An MCU Fantastic 4 would be a spectacular disaster, though. I mean, I'll totally watch it, just to see how bad it is, because Fantastic 4 is just cursed. It's the Macbeth of superhero films. Nobody has ever made a good Fantastic 4 film.
Fantastic Four is already in development for the MCU. I thought the first one with Chris Evans was good but the next one after was bad. As is the one from 2015. I never watched the Roger Corman one.

• 1Interesting

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Two more eps to go!

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Two more eps to go!
I know they did the weekly releases on purpose to keep people watching but I'd prefer them all at once. It is though a good way to keep people invested in the MCU. They put stuff in that makes you think one thing is happening when it's actually something completely different.

I'm thinking that Agatha wanted Wanda to bring Sparky back to life so that she wouldn't have to do anything with the twins. She needed Wanda's Chaos Magic as it's called in the comic books.