US Election Day 2020

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I'm so proud of Georgia, even if they don't manage to flip - just sad it waited until I moved to do so, even after years of doing my best, and my mom still doing her best.

I'm just so ashamed of Florida right now.... here, we're turning redder every election it seems [even if Escambia has come really close the last few, to being red - doesn't matter because next county over is super rich rural [horse farms]..... and that's who we share a congress district with.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
I'm so proud of Georgia, even if they don't manage to flip - just sad it waited until I moved to do so, even after years of doing my best, and my mom still doing her best.

I'm just so ashamed of Florida right now.... here, we're turning redder every election it seems [even if Escambia has come really close the last few, to being red - doesn't matter because next county over is super rich rural [horse farms]..... and that's who we share a congress district with.
Like attracts like. Florida is full of dicks because the state is shaped like a penis.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
i Think it more likely that there are some people of all colors who vote entirely based on “what’s in it for me”.

Actually, I have a home, plenty of food, health insurance, white skin, and am invested in the stock market. So Trump doesn’t really present much threat to me. But what about the caged children? What about the massacre in El Paso? What about the raging pandemic on the border and everywhere else? Or Climate change?
I could not understand it and was told (if it is not racism) they like what the stock market is doing. Huh? They fell for what donnie was selling. The market only says how stocks are doing. That is it. If you do not outright own stocks (most ppl do not) it only matters IF you have a 401k/403b that invests in stocks. If you own a company and it is not public it does not affect you either. It is not like Apple decides non c suite salaries based on how their stock is doing. Although it does affect my retirement as I invested in them directly when Jobs came back.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
It really gets exciting if Air Force 1 starts its engines tonight.
Especially if it changes call signs in mid flight.
 

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
Joined
Oct 28, 2018
Messages
769
Location
Norway
SL Rez
2013
In case anyone curious,. Trumps lead has fallen to about 45,000 in Georgia, and 230,000 in PA, both still counting ballots. Georgia is GETTING closer....but TBH I really don't buy a flip of either state. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised tonight; but if not, it's Nevada or nothing, and that means waiting until tomorrow. Arrrrgh!
Biden has taken about 65% of the votes counted on Georgia the last 2 1/2 hours. If that trend continues we're talking about a margin of a few thousand or even a few hundred votes in either direction. Be prepared for a recount.

Interestingly, Biden has won almost 150% of the votes counted the last 2 1/2 hours in Pennsylvania. AP estimated that there were 912,000 votes left to count and Trump was ahead by 266,654. Now there are 856,000 left to count and Trump is ahead by 192,385. I suppose the explanation is that AP got the total number of votes wrong at first but it certainly means that the race there is still wide open.

I do believe Nevada is safe for Biden though. It's been a consistent trend in all states that he is winning the absentee votes so although his margin there is fairly narrow now, it's far more likely that he'll gain more ground than loose any.

Edit - Pennsylvania update:
Since I posted this, 0 more votes have been counted in Pennsylvania and Biden has won 1396 of them. That's a rather impressive ∞%. :p
 
Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I saw an unconfirmed story that 300,000 mail ballots were scanned into the postal system, but never scanned out. I find that totally believable given DeJoy's earlier actions to kneecap the system. If proven, he's going to jail.
I was just watch a piece on msnbc about that. Summary: there are lawsuits. Part of it was a judicial order that was not followed. The judge is pretty unhappy and threatening to summon dejoy to find out why his order was not followed.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
The way our system works, unfortunately, is progressives have to work their way up from lower offices, while increasing their base of voters. Prior to this election, there were 95 progressives in the US House of Representatives. That's a non-trivial number. Get it up to 120 and they would be a majority of the Democratic party in that chamber, and be able to set policy. The same logic works in state legislatures.

And we are not stuck with FPTP. Maine, for example, is using ranked voting. They also split their electoral college votes rather than winner take all like other states. So work on getting ranked voting used in more local elections, so people get used to it. Then push for it at the state level.
To add to the annoyance they HAVE to run someone for president to qualify for matching funding. Which saps their funds for local races and people think they are doing it on purpose so do not vote for them locally even if they feel they are the best person.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Maybe but do we know how people in Florida really voted?
Thank you for this - I mean, if you go by the signs around here, where most of the Dem votes prolly came from for my county, then the Presidential is prolly right - some Twitler, more Biden but while Pensacola is a small city/big town, most of our county is poor, semi-rural and paper mills. Biden almost got half our votes, anyway.

But some of the races, I really did expect to go Dem, like our state house person at least. But apparently the people in our area are A-OK with Gaetz and Andrade [our Congresscritter and state congresscritter] trying to sell off our beaches to the highest bidders, instead of letting us all enjoy them - that this failed once doesn't matter now, I guess since they both won somehow again.

So, at least for my area, I'm fairly sure the votes were counted properly...
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,257
SL Rez
2006
I'm just so ashamed of Florida right now....
As Bronxelf pointed out on a recent Facebook post, there is major hinky interference with the Florida vote. Tens of thousands of mail-in votes are unaccounted for, and even if they're found, it's too late; Florida law will not allow them to be counted if they are received after the election. So still reason for shame where Florida is concerned, but not the reason you started with.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,708
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
One of the main reasons I think that people still vote republicans into office is one word "socialism", which I've heard EVERY SINGLE ONE of my right leaning acquaintances vomit out in our conversations on politics. It's like it's ingrained in their genes to hate anything that even resembles it. You can point out all manner of programs, infrastructure, etc that they benefit from that is a form of socialism, but it does no good. They are consumed with fear over becoming a country that they actually have no concept for what that would look like. They no more have a clue than anything, but they know how to spell it and shout it out whenever they think a Democrat is within earshot.
Oh, so much this!

I live in a red county, and in Devin Nunes' district, no less. So I got the whole ear- and eye-full of his ads on radio, TV, and along the side of the highway, and in every single one of his ads, he hammered on the word "socialism", equating every Democrat out there as "far-left socialist radicals". And it worked. His base here thoroughly ate it up, as did quite a number of othewise-moderates who, by virtue of low education and had never really left the area, believed all the crap about socialism as well. I'm just disgusted the bastard got re-elected. Again.
 

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,488
Location
US
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
44403
Ed Glaude (James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professor of African American Studies at Princeton University) is always articulate and on-point I think. This segment on MSNBC I thought was more poignant and thought provoking than usual:


"America is not unique in its sins. I think where we may be singular is our refusal to acknowledge them."
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,708
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
ASSUMING that the AP and Fox News did not jump the gun calling Arizona for Biden. CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and NYT are all still shy about Arizona.
Indeed. CNN still hasn't called Arizona, and their site says Biden only has 253 electoral votes as of 9:18pm PST. It's funny that Fox called it, but CNN hasn't.