Tilia, a prelude to decline?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Pretty sure I kept using an old v1 viewer mostly until Firestorm rolled out, because I personally knew someone on the team and trusted them.

• 1Like
Reactions: Kalel

Sid

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Pretty sure I kept using an old v1 viewer mostly until Firestorm rolled out, because I personally knew someone on the team and trusted them.
I never ever logged in once so far, because I basically trust no one.

• 1Beer
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
So basically Heineken clones?
Most "American" beer is now made either by a Belgian company (InBev, which covers all the Anheuser-Busch brands) or a Japanese one (Asahi, which includes Coors, Miller and, yes, dear Canadian friends, Molson.) At least Heineken is still authentically Dutch, so far as I know!

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Most "American" beer is now made either by a Belgian company (InBev, which covers all the Anheuser-Busch brands) or a Japanese one (Asahi, which includes Coors, Miller and, yes, dear Canadian friends, Molson.) At least Heineken is still authentically Dutch, so far as I know!
AB ImBev is a merger of Belgian, Brazilian, and American companies. A few years ago, they bought up SABMiller (a UK-American merger) and sold part of the brand portfolio to Asahi. The resulting company is officially Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV. They may be Belgian for tax purposes, but it is a true multinational.

Heineken became the second largest brewer in the world by default, since everyone larger than them was involved in the mergers. They also only brew a small percentage of their beer in the Netherlands.

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Heineken has bought a lot of companies over the years too. It is active in more then 190 countries, has about 300 beer brands. Altough Heineken is a holding with stocks on the stock markets, the family still holds little over 50 percent of the shares.
Besides the second large beer brewer Heineken is the biggest cider producer in the world.
And for the Dutch market they produce Pepsi and Sisi.

Wikipedia knows a lot. :)

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Speaking of multinationals:

To be honest, I see absolutely nothing good in the very existence of multinational companies (and banks). In my opinion, each single one of them should be broken down to its current daughter companies. And especially when their daughter companies are in different countries.

If I had a say, all multinational companies without exception would be forced to sell any and all daughter companies that are based in different countries, or to just give them up, with each of these formerly acquired companies operating, and producing, only in the country where they originally were founded in. That means for example that the PSA Group would have to give up or sell Opel, and Opel would be then only operate and produce in Germany, because it's the country where Opel was founded in. In the same way,the Volkswagen AG would also have to give up or sell Skoda, SEAT, Bugatti, Ducati and so on (simply because these companies are based in foreign countries) - and would have to produce their VW cars in Germany only.

I also think that no company or bank, no matter where they're based at, should be ever allowed again to buy into companies based in a foreign country, or even to buy them entirely. And I think that any and all companies currently owned by foreign banks and companies should be either deprivatized, or bought by the state they're based in (I'd prefer the former!).

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
What is American beer?
Sorry for asking, but I live in Europe. :)
When it comes to the big-brand, mass-produced stuff, it's a euphemism for stale horse piss.

But when you get down to the smaller craft beers and microbrews, there's actually some pretty darned good stuff out there.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Aki

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The same over here. The mainstream big brands are all clones of each other. The smaller regional and local ones have all at least one ingredient that the big names miss: Dedication.