The (virtual) life and death of Joshua Nightshade

mixvio

Sullen Homosexual
Admin
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
65
Location
Melbourne/Naarm, Australia
SL Rez
2002
Joined SLU
2006
SLU Posts
10000000
Thank you for joining me on episode two of "What the fuck, he's back?"


Yes, no one is more surprised than me but I suppose Cris' community-building skills were so extensive that even in death he could bring us all back together. Mild sarcasm, I make joke see?

If you don't have some idea of what's going on already, I made another thread yesterday, but separately I wanted to explain... something, I guess. I was waiting until I had my thoughts more in order to figure out what, but I remain as unsure of what I want to say now as any other day over the last couple of weeks. Strap in for an unabridged history of the last ~25 years of life as told from my point of view. None of this is really a secret to anyone who's known me long enough, but this is probably the first time I've put it all into one place.

I got into Second Life in the earliest non-Linden Lab alpha/betas (I genuinely don't remember which at this point, I've given Second Life very little thought for a very long time and these details have escaped my brain) because a dude I'd had a sort of relationship with was working there at the time and got me an account when they started doing the earliest external tests. He wasn't out to anybody and there was a significant age gap between us and I may have technically also been under 18 at the time (I could look up the specific timeline, I suppose, but I know I was right on the cusp) so he wanted me to be discreet about everything. He's long since left Linden Lab and I don't even think there's anyone left at the company who was also around at that time either.

I poked around a little bit but I had inconsistent broadband access at the time and those days most of the US was still on dial-up, so my interest was not captured initially. I did meet some of the very old oldbies, including Cristiano, and some time later when I took more of an active interest in SL and the SL forums we reconnected and he remembered me and the little robots I used to make. We became friends even though there was also a significant age gap between us at the time as well; through Second Citizen was when we became close friends, and obviously SC exploding and everyone moving over to SLU brought us even closer. I think everyone knows enough of the history of all of that and I probably don't really need to get into specifics there.

I've not really made much of a secret that my childhood growing up was really abusive. I referenced it a fair bit, but because in my head at the time it was all ancient history as far as I was concerned, I think I probably only referred to things as snippets. I promise there's a point to bringing it up now.

I grew up in New Orleans to deeply religious Southern Baptist hypocrites who were also drug addicts and alcoholics. I knew I was gay pretty young and when I was 12 my parents found out too — a guy I'd been "dating" at school (to the extent that two gay teenagers could "date" in the late 90s in Louisiana) committed suicide when his parents found out, and as he was very well liked by the students everyone took it really hard. I was depressed and not myself and my parents assumed the only explanation was that I'd gotten into drugs or something; my dad put a keylogger on the family computer and got access to my email and saw all of the messages between me and my classmates talking about the suicide and he put two and two together.

Both of my parents were tremendously violent and abusive people. Mom wasn't physically abusive as much as my dad was (she had her moments though!) but she was definitely psychologically violent. And that was when they weren't on something — some of my earliest memories are of cleaning up the house because they were both passed out. I developed self-sufficiency at a very young age, and more or less raised my younger siblings until I finally decided to leave home myself.

I moved out of home twice when I was a teenager — first was when I was 16 and I moved in with friends of the family in another city about an hour away from New Orleans. After a year with them I briefly moved back in with my family to finish high school. We lasted a few months before I left home completely. My 17th birthday present to myself was getting legally emancipated and I moved into an apartment with a friend of mine from high school who was a couple years older than me. Just before I turned 18, I moved up to New York City.

I promise, I promise, I have a point.

I thought that the horrifying childhood I'd escaped was in the past for a good chunk of my life. While I knew what I went through was awful and unusual and at a young age I learned to keep my mouth shut about the constant violence, drugs, physical and mental abuse — because I recognised other families didn't go through that stuff — I thought once I left home (and certainly once I left the South) that I'd escaped and it was done and dusted. I certainly never would have thought I had any lasting trauma from it or that I'd still be carrying that abuse with me into adulthood.

One of the more pertinent ways this impacted me was interpreting a lot of interpersonal interactions in the lens of someone trying to control or bully me in ways I needed to protect myself from. I can look back on it now that I've tried my best to understand my own brain a lot more than I ever realised I needed to and I understand the protective defence mechanisms I operated with for so long without even knowing it — my parents were the first bullies I ever encountered. Weeks before I moved out of home for good, my dad and I had gotten into an argument because I needed to be driven to rehearsals for the school play that I was in, and as my parents had refused to allow me to learn how to drive it meant I was beholden to them for transport. At the same time, this sort of thing was a grave inconvenience for two people who never really left the house. We got into a fight about it and because my dad's solution to most problems was to punch them in the face, he did so and afterward I swore to myself that if he ever hit me again I was going to leave. The next time he did, I simply turned around and went to my room to grab a backpack I'd gotten ready for exactly that situation and left. I hadn't realised how deeply I had internalised "I will never be treated this way again" to the point that anything that mildly triggered those feelings put me in a headspace where it was imperative that it was not enough to just defend myself — I had to absolutely and utterly destroy the threat as a warning to any others.

Which is how most of you will have remembered me from my active time in Second Life, Second Citizen, and SLU.

I'll be delicate on my wording here because I don't want to point fingers or blame anybody or make anybody feel defensive, but in retrospect I can't really begin to articulate the really deeply inappropriate way I was regularly being treated by people who were often significantly older than me when I was barely old enough to drink. I'm not trying to make myself seem blameless because I certainly know I could be equally as vicious and I gave it as good as I got it, but it wasn't until I had time and distance that I realised how Not Right a lot of that stuff was. It was a constant, perpetual level of attack that I didn't realise was actually affecting me because it was "just internet shit" that I didn't think bled into my real life. On top of just the constant barrage of really vicious arguing, there was stuff some people knew about and other stuff I wasn't as open with — there was constant real life stalking, legitimate, actionable threats that involved police investigations, someone worked out that I was employed at Yahoo and spent a weekend tying up the company fax line sending threats against me to my place of employment. I believed myself to be resilient and unaffected by all of this but it was always a constant need to protect myself, because if I couldn't do that I was back to being a little kid getting the shit beaten out of him by a much older adult. This was a sustained degree of harassment across several years that I didn't realise the completely inappropriate and weird degree of until I got enough distance from it to go "holy shit."

And, again, I'm not trying to make myself seem like a victim, or like I didn't do anything wrong. I'm not quite going to offer an apology, and I'm not trying to justify myself either — with time and distance I've realised the headspace I was operating in and made a conscious decision that it wasn't the sort of person I wanted to be.

In early 2013, my parents visited me in Australia for the first time since I'd moved there. My relationship with them since leaving home had its ups and downs, and that particular time there was enough of an up that me and Adam (my partner at the time) got them tickets and a hotel as a Christmas present. It was their first time seeing my life in Sydney — which I was finally able to start putting roots in as my permanent residency got approved after considerable delays. Their visit was incredibly not good, and the aftermath was a relationship breakdown catastrophic enough that I didn't speak to them at all until I moved to Melbourne several years later. But it was in that visit that I realised the extent to which the childhood abuse still affected me, I realised I was not handling things as well as I thought I was, and I decided to start getting help.
 

mixvio

Sullen Homosexual
Admin
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
65
Location
Melbourne/Naarm, Australia
SL Rez
2002
Joined SLU
2006
SLU Posts
10000000
[In a surprise to no one, my post hit the character limit, so here's part two.]

I was already pulling back from SLU on the tail end of that anyway, subconsciously realising that the level of engagement I was participating in was not good for me. The constant need to defend myself against people who I didn't believe were acting in good faith meant I was arguing constantly, and I realised that I was not doing a good job of firewalling the forum from the rest of my life. After the experience with my parents, I asked Cris to lock me out of my account and that was that. I got him and friends to make a couple of posts on my behalf for a little bit after that, but for the most part I just walked away from it and I think the choice was a healthy one. I don't know what it would have taken for me to start putting work into myself otherwise. And ironically in discussing stuff in therapy, I've learned more about my own neurodiversity and where the ever-present urge to "correct the record" might have been coming from as much as a childhood of abuse where I promised myself I was never going to let anyone make me feel powerless ever again.

It had its mixed outcomes too — Adam and I decided to go our separate ways in 2016, being two people close in age who'd been together for nearly a decade at that point. He and I had "grown up" together through so much and by the end of the relationship I was already starting to realise the fundamental ways that we'd grown apart, as well. I still think of him fondly, he's still incredibly clever and kind, and I'll forever love him even if it's only as a friend and the reason I'm still in the land of kangaroo internet and people who walk around on the fucking sidewalk barefoot.

I moved to Melbourne in 2016, the day after I became an Australian citizen (ironically enough, the tenth anniversary of both happen in just a couple of days). I'd always been writing, and that's continued — I've worked on games you've certainly heard of and played, written for television shows and films you've certainly heard of and watched, though the exploitive nature of the creative industry means as a contractor it's been an uphill battle getting properly credited on things I've done. I released my first game last year, a whopping 250k-word choose your own adventure style interactive book that I'm immensely proud of (Cristiano also helped with some programming on the earliest prototype of it as well). I'm in the process of trying to get funding for a followup and I am very optimistic about what comes next. I've had the privilege of running a community in Sydney for queer kids and creating the sort of safe space I wish I'd had when I was their age. I almost single-handedly ran two national conventions for queer gamers in Australia that got national and worldwide recognition and even financial support from companies like Nintendo. I live with both of my partners just outside of the CBD and I'm grateful every day that I get to wake up between them and have the opportunity to do things that make my soul happy instead of having to be someone's personal assistant again. I look at the state of the world and want things to be better.

I know that there's a lot of people who are gonna see my name and feel various feelings and many of them aren't going to be good. I'm not going to make excuses for myself over a decade ago, nor has "but they were mean to me first" ever been an excuse I have let fly whether I'm using it or receiving it. I know the anger and resentment I was carrying around for so long came out in vicious ways against people who didn't deserve it (or, maybe didn't deserve the full wrath of it; though sometimes they did 👀) and I know I hurt people even if my intent wasn't to be hurtful. As for those who were hurtful towards me at the time, from my point of view I genuinely can't muster up the energy to really care about it anymore — a paedophilic sociopathic narcissist has control of the US' nuclear stockpile and is in advanced stages of dementia, I think we should all take the opportunity to try and put more love into the world while there's still a world. I don't need anybody's apologies, I don't need anyone's mea culpa, I'm not really interested in holding a grudge about it. I do understand if that's not reciprocal, and other people are entitled to be mad at the 20-something year old version of me they argued with on the internet over a decade ago. All I can say is that I made a realisation that I was not fuelling the sort of person I wanted to live up to and I have made a conscious decision on who I want to be as a result of that realisation.

I don't really know what level of participation I want to have here, yet — but it's nice to see some familiar names. The Cris situation has left me with some very complicated and confusing feelings and I still don't know the best way to navigate them. Least of which in trying to protect the legacy of someone who never even existed in the first place. I'm glad I was able to help keep the lights on here, and I hope it was the right decision to intervene. Like I said in the other thread, there's gonna need to be some decisions to be made about who takes over. I'm probably willing to help, but I don't want to do it by myself — my experiences with running communities by myself in real life has been more than enough of that, and my advice to anyone who does want to run things is that it's better if you get help as it's harder for people to yell at more than one of you. 🤣

So, yeah. If you've read this far, that's the story. If you have no idea who the fuck I am in the first place (which I suspect is more than a few) then I hope it was at least some interesting history. I don't really know what degree I'll stick around or not, but testament to Cris that this is the first time in over a decade that I've even considered it.
 
Last edited:

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,607
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Christ on a pogo stick, am I expected to read all this? I hope there's no quiz later...
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Are you Prok?
 
  • 1Minion
Reactions: Govi

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,517
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
While I’ve not had the same life experiences as you (obviously), I do understand the feeling of needing to defend yourself against any kind of (perceived?) threat. This “self-protection defence system on automatic” was useful to me during my childhood, but I had to learn to stand down at some point. Not easy to do when it’s become a survival instinct. Anyhow, might not be the same as what you’re describing, but I do think I get what you mean.

I’m glad you are in a good place, living your life with your partners and doing the things that make you happy, as I often wondered “Whatever happened to Joshua?”

Also glad you came by to give a hand with keeping the lights on here.
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,055
I don't remember much, but as someone who was easily bullied, I had a tremendous amount of respect for you.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: mixvio

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,196
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I know I definitely have a history of getting a carried away in an argument and I know we butted heads at least a few times (only one of which I recall vaguely, and I was definitely in the wrong), but I found myself agreeing with you far far more often than the times when we didn't. I hope I wasn't one of the ones contributing to the way you were being treated. I get that sometimes drastic action is necessary to break out of a non-productive rut. And I've mellowed out a lot since then, partly due to fatigue with being outraged all the damned time at that heinous sack of orange shit being worshipped and enabled by lead-paint lobotomized American morons.

And selfishly, I've really missed your participation, intensity and conviction. No matter how much you do or don't participate from here on, I'm glad to know you're still here and doing good in the world. =)
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,690
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
I will have to admit I don't remember much about you, or if we'd ever clashed, or any of that. So, as far as I'm concerned, you have a fresh start here. Thank you for explaining yourself; it was eye-opening. And, even more, thank you for helping keep this place from disappearing.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

mixvio

Sullen Homosexual
Admin
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
65
Location
Melbourne/Naarm, Australia
SL Rez
2002
Joined SLU
2006
SLU Posts
10000000
I am sure it was more for my own benefit than for most people here. I don't know who's still really around from those days to give much of a crap one way or another, but for the benefit of anyone who might have wondered — there you go; have a little essay, as a treat. 🤣
 

Khamon

Folk Harpist
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
3,166
Location
Alabama
SL Rez
2003
Joined SLU
2007
mixvio this is an explanation that I laughed at your second post because you ran into the character limit which is so you. Age is a gift but the past accumulates loads of triggering crap that we have to talk about to avoid pushing guilt or shame or anger off on others. WTF Khamon just say welcome back and wave kthx 🌊