Shows That You Love But Hate A Main Character

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
If I hate a main character it usually is enough to make me stop watching entirely. Most recent example was The Rookie, where during the racism scene I said, verbatim, "if this guy doesn't die i'm done with this show". He got shot but didn't die and I was done with the show. Sorry Nathan Fillion but your show about the police is bad. But that show had other problems that also annoyed me beyond sergeant shitbag.

The Magicians I stopped watching because of Penny.

Doctor Who is a decent-ish example in that River Song is the worst thing in the universe. Not a main character but close enough and holy crap I got close to just giving up entirely sometimes during that arc.

Westworld i'm going to stop watching because all the main characters are awful. And so is the story. But I guess I did watch all of season 1 and 2 despite the Man in Black being in most of them so it does count for this topic. Nothing about him is interesting or compelling. Dolores also went into this category in season 2.

in Lucifer Lieutenant Pierce was pretty bad most of the time. Then he got a bit better when more was revealed about him. Then he got worse as that got old and he became annoying again. But I got to look at Tom Welling so it all evens out.

Supergirl I stopped watching because it was dumb, but during that time I really really hated Calista Flockheart's character.

South Park I guess also counts because of Cartman but eventually that show just became shit in general so I stopped.

I can't really think of any others. I'm sure there are some. It's pretty easy to annoy me via a performance.

• 1WTF??
Reactions: Pancake

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Supergirl I stopped watching because it was dumb, but during that time I really really hated Calista Flockheart's character.
I only ever watched the first episode of Supergirl, and I hated it very deeply. I don't know if they developed her character further in later episodes, but the impression I got of her in the first episode was that she was mean just for the sake of being mean. ...but the main character appreciated this because mean = strong woman to her?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I am on Daredevil season 3 and I have to reiterate how much I hate Matt Murdoch. Of course, since I already hate him, let's make the focus of several episodes be almost entirely on his angsty recovery and crisis of faith. Thankfully Fisk remains one of the best villains in any series or I would probably stop watching

• 1Like
Reactions: Halo Minoptra

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I am on Daredevil season 3 and I have to reiterate how much I hate Matt Murdoch. Of course, since I already hate him, let's make the focus of several episodes be almost entirely on his angsty recovery and crisis of faith. Thankfully Fisk remains one of the best villains in any series or I would probably stop watching
Matt's an agnsty prat for much of the season. Luckily we get a lot more about Karen's past, Foggy's family, and the relationship between Fisk and Vanessa to make the season worth getting through.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
There is always something in a show. No show is perfect but when there is one thing so outstanding you can not ignore it. For example, I can think of several shows I love including all the main cast, but the show creators should have been given their walking papers long ago.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I only ever watched the first episode of Supergirl, and I hated it very deeply. I don't know if they developed her character further in later episodes, but the impression I got of her in the first episode was that she was mean just for the sake of being mean. ...but the main character appreciated this because mean = strong woman to her?
Actually, without going into exact spoiler's a LOT has changed about the office dynamics since the first episode. In fact, there is a new character this season who is in basically in Kara's role currently (she also happens to be a trans activist in RL too).

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Actually, without going into exact spoiler's a LOT has changed about the office dynamics since the first episode. In fact, there is a new character this season who is in basically in Kara's role currently (she also happens to be a trans activist in RL too).
I heard it got better. I just couldn't find the will to watch it after that first disaster.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I heard it got better. I just couldn't find the will to watch it after that first disaster.
Typically any show needs a few episodes, sometimes an entire season, to knock it out of the park. Supergirl has taken on a lot and the storylines right now are a thinly veiled arc of RL issues, they are not things they could have done in season 1, whether or not reality was different then. For example, I love Doctor Who but know not to judge any Doctor on their first few episodes. One of the complaints about the current Doctor is she is too generic .... but the season (or at least most of it) was written before she was even cast so she is hamstrung by the scripts.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Orange is The New Black.

Piper pulling the "I'm just a nice white lady who likes organic footwear" despite carrying drugs over a foreign border, making a panty selling mafia that beats up people, purposely putting people into the psych ward, and the list goes on and on. Yes, some of that was to survive, but you don't get to hide behind your privilege after doing some of those things. Also, she has zero backbone when Alex does sketchy things to her and I just can't stand characters that have no backbone.
I love the Piper character. I've known some people who were just like her. How she reacted to things every episode was interesting to me. I enjoyed all the characters on that show.

Doctor Who is a decent-ish example in that River Song is the worst thing in the universe. Not a main character but close enough and holy crap I got close to just giving up entirely sometimes during that arc.
Wut!?! River Song is one of my all time favorite fictional characters ever.

• 1Agree

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yay! I'm not alone anymore in my love for River Song! :hearts:
It was her mother, Most Holy Red Herring Creator of All Worlds The Amy Pond, that nearly drove me from the show. Perhaps it was just the icing on the blonde girl's Bad Wolf episode followed by the end of the universe (again) DoctorDonna arc. Thank Heaven for the occasional companion, such as Martha, that offers some genuine skills and support. The current three are nice even if they are all humans from Earth (as far as we know).

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
Oh I'm with Ava on absolutely hating Snow & Charming on Once Upon a Time. And now that annoying charming guy is on another show I'm watching called Manifest. His partner in that show is about as annoying as Snow was too. It's almost over now & when it's done I'm never watching another show with him in it again.

And I'm with Pamela & Jopsy in loathing Negan on The Walking Dead. I could handle all the others but Negan is far too much of a ham for me. He's gonna be the one that makes me stop watching it & I'm on the edge right now.

I loved River Song on Doctor who. Not as much as Donna but I still really liked her. I agree with Khamon that it was Amy Pond that made me sit there & roll my eyes until I just fast forwarded thru each episode until she was gone.

Here's one no one's mentioned. Ya know the show Designated Survivor? I hated Kiefer Sutherland who was the Designated Survivor. I wanted anyone to live except him. Does that man ever talk in a normal tone of voice? He whispers everything! I swear even if he's giving a speech in front of a crowd he's whispering it! I watched him a bit in 24 too & I quit watching that show for the same reason. I'm sure he's a nice guy & that many love him but that whispering got on my nerves. Most of the time I couldn't even understand what he said with all the whispering.

• 2Like
Reactions: Cristiano and Pamela

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Here's one no one's mentioned. Ya know the show Designated Survivor? I hated Kiefer Sutherland who was the Designated Survivor. I wanted anyone to live except him. Does that man ever talk in a normal tone of voice? He whispers everything! I swear even if he's giving a speech in front of a crowd he's whispering it! I watched him a bit in 24 too & I quit watching that show for the same reason. I'm sure he's a nice guy & that many love him but that whispering got on my nerves. Most of the time I couldn't even understand what he said with all the whispering.
I stopped watching 24 when the Keifer character started torturing someone in every episode.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Going back a bit, but I couldn't stand Ted on How I Met Your Mother, nor J.D. on Scrubs.

More recently, Fiona Gallagher on Shameless. Those kids were raised by wolves.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Wut!?! River Song is one of my all time favorite fictional characters ever.
Same here and I especially love the concept. Two time travelers who usually meet in the wrong order (and since she could regenerate it also added a few unforeseen plot twists).

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
River Song is a hypercompetent smug know-it-all who never does anything wrong and always fixes all the problems while being the only person The Doctor is romantically interested in.

She's someone's fan fiction insert.

• 1Wow!

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
River Song is a hypercompetent smug know-it-all who never does anything wrong and always fixes all the problems while being the only person The Doctor is romantically interested in.

She's someone's fan fiction insert.
I may steal this for my signature, profile, resume and heck maybe even my obituary. With my name in place of River’s.