Shows That You Love But Hate A Main Character

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Sabrina from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is the Carrie Bradshaw of that show. She's completely self-involved, constantly causes chaos and is oblivious to her role in it.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Zaida Gearbox

I'm adding the entire cast of friends, but right now most especially Phoebe. Suicide jokes are just not funny.

Myficals

Pop!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Sabrina from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is the Carrie Bradshaw of that show. She's completely self-involved, constantly causes chaos and is oblivious to her role in it.
This doesn't bother me overly, mostly because I think Sabrina's self-involvement is a deliberate aspect of the writing. That is to say, I think you're supposed to be infuriated by her behaviour at times. She is after all, still a teenager.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Tigger

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
HERESY!!!!!

Samantha from Sex In The City. I think they need to go ahead with the 3rd movie, and just kill her off instead of Mr. Big.
Buffy was really annoying sometimes. But I didn't hate her. I did hate Angel though.

Does an entire species count? In most of the more recent star treks I really hated klingons, specially anything that decided to get into 'klingon culture'
They just aren't that interesting I tended to skip those episodes.

Drifting back in time some.... Babylon 5 had 2 characters I hated, the "annoying star fury pilot guy" who died and Marcus. God I hated Marcus. In a show of patchy quality he always felt like he was trying too hard and made everything worse around him.

Drifting further back in time... Blakes 7. Blake, frankly Blake was a git. It should have been Avons 6.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Okay, late to this thread but what the hey. I've been watching The Orville lately, and while I cannot claim to love the show, I can definitively say my enjoyment of it would be markedly improved if Ed and Gordon were blown out of an airlock.
I just read an article about how badass Dr. Finn is and has been one of the best characters on the show, and it occurred to me that that it isn't just because Penny Jerald is a strong actor (she is) but a large part of why she stands out is that her primary interactions are not with Captain Mercer. We get story lines with the main crew members and her family where she has been a well developed character. After her, the strongest stories often involve Bortus and Klyden, both actors who have been able to develop compelling characters despite the heavy prosthetic and the guttural vocal delivery the series uses for Moclans that limits the usual vocal cues and makes the actors work hard to put emotional depth into their delivery. But they manage to make them believable and relatable.

So with that, I find myself comparing Adrianne Palicki in Orville with her role in Agents of SHIELD. In both she plays a strong career professional teamed up with her ex husband. But I bought her and Nick Blood as both antagonists and deeply in love, and I also found her more believable as a badass secret agent. Not just because of her stunt work and fight scenes, but because the pair had not just good scripts but they were both good actors. In her scenes on Orville, she never comes across as anything special, and that is entirely the fault of the overeager fratboy and pulp culture encyclopedia she shares the bulk of her scenes with. I can't buy her and Mercer as a couple, because there is nothing between the two characters. And I have trouble taking her seriously as a first officer because her and Mercer are usually riffing on pop culture and smugness. I know the actress can do better, but there is a Seth McFarland-shaped void at the heart of Orville that she can't escape.

• 1Like
Reactions: Myficals

Zaida Gearbox

I just binge watched 4 seasons of Poldark, and I really want to slap the shit out of Ross Poldark, and I was GLAD when Elizabeth died. Half the trouble on that show is because of her.

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Drifting further back in time... Blakes 7. Blake, frankly Blake was a git. It should have been Avons 6.
Interesting, agree about flaky Blake, but Avon had to be a secondary character for his and Servalan’s affair to seem plausible. Plausible, Ha, what are you saying Khamon? “That I always called it the Jacqueline Pierce show” he said.

ranner

I loved The Wire, but didn't like how Omar was presented. It seemed very hard to believe that he lived till the 5th season, even after jumping off a window and escaping Barskdale/Stringer's crew. Just too much unnecessary aura around the man. I didn't like Brother Mouzone or Carcetti much, either.

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
Likewise for Daredevil. I stopped watching after I noticed that whenever there was a fistfight someone would be getting slammed in the face not once or twice but twenty times. I counted punches in one scene and stopped counting after 20. This seemed to occur at least once every episode towards the end of the first season.
The way that Daredevil kept agonizing over whether he was doing the right thing (by being Daredevil) got to be so tiresome. I loved the show, but that element ended it for me.