WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

One acre one vote again.
The bourgeoisie has subjected the country to the rule of the towns. It has created enormous cities, has greatly increased the urban population as compared with the rural, and has thus rescued a considerable part of the population from the idiocy of rural life.

[....]

The bourgeoisie keeps more and more doing away with the scattered state of the population, of the means of production, and of property. It has agglomerated population, centralised the means of production, and has concentrated property in a few hands. The necessary consequence of this was political centralisation. Independent, or but loosely connected provinces, with separate interests, laws, governments, and systems of taxation, became lumped together into one nation, with one government, one code of laws, one national class-interest, one frontier, and one customs-tariff.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

bubblesort

I spent the day making a pandemic playlist, and I came across a lot of songs about corona. One song was titled, "Kung Flu - The Wuhan Virus Rap", and was done by some people who appear to be Chinese, and maybe from Shanghai, judging by the lyrics. It was posted on Jan 31, which was a month and a half ago. It's a fun tune, so I put it on the playlist and forgot about it.

Just now, after I finished the playlist, I went to check twitter, and at the top of my feed, I found out that apparently calling corona or covad the Kung Flu or the Chinese flu is bad now? I mean, yeah, kung flu is bad for a white person to say, but it's not ethically wrong to call it the Wuhan virus or the china flu. Those terms may be incorrect, but ethically wrong? I don't think so. I know the international community haggled for a while over the name before they settled on COVAD-19 and Corona, so the thing had different names before those names went into effect. On Jan 31, when the above-linked video was published, the correct name for it was probably the Wuhan virus or the Wuhan flu. 100 years ago we probably would have officially called it the china flu or something like that, because we've always had a tendency to name epidemics and pandemics for where they seem to originate (see Spanish Flu, and all 6 types of ebola, for example). I wouldn't mind a different naming scheme, if I didn't think it was all about protecting China's image (which does not deserve our protection). Our media seems to want to protect China's image so badly they attack anybody who doesn't use the words Bejing wants us to use.

It just looks like another annoying example of Chinese media control in America.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
100 years ago we probably would have officially called it the china flu or something like that, because we've always had a tendency to name epidemics and pandemics for where they seem to originate (see Spanish Flu, and all 6 types of ebola, for example).
It's funny you mention the Spanish Flu, because the Spanish Flu didn't actually come from Spain - in fact, it wasn't even particularly bad there.

The first recorded case was in the US, and Allied countries were the ones particularly hard-hit by the virus because their cooperating militaries spread it amongst each other in military camps in Europe and of course brought it home from there. The anglosphere media and Allied governments came to an agreement to deliberately under-report the virus's toll and effects in Allied countries to avoid low morale, while they were free to report the full scale of the pandemic in Spain, which was a neutral country at that time. The deliberate media censorship made it seem like the virus was exceptionally bad in Spain, which is how the public came to start calling it "the Spanish flu".

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
So fake Bernie supporters that are really Trump fans I shall now refer to as fauxgressive.
They’ve done far more harm than good, speaking of them in general and not just in this forum.

Progressive causes are like herding cats. If you have destructive people involved who are in it for personal reasons, they can divide volunteer groups and drive people away. These people are usually narcissistic and not always obvious. If you have people who stubbornly refuse to align with progressive goals instead of the default (in an American setting) conservative ones, you can drive away less privileged people and watch your goals get twisted.

There’s no Left activism worth having, in an American setting, without an understanding of kyriarchy. Over and over I see rebellious people who would normally have been Republicans or Libertarians but think they’re so lefty, just because they don’t have total agreement with the Christofascists, usually by not being overtly religious.

Not being religious is not by itself a Left or a progressive position. But privileged conservatives expect to be deferred to, and to keep their kyriarchal privilege, everywhere they go. It’s a lot of work to come up with ways to discourage them from going where they aren’t helping.

We don’t have a general public understanding of any politics except conservatism and the extreme Right, so this keeps happening. It’s going to take time for the culture to change, and that’s not a sure thing in this environment of ignorance. But every movement is against a strong headwind until it does, and sometimes the pressure leaves a movement or organization in tatters or even co-opted.

bubblesort

If you have a better one, I'm sure the World Health Organisation would be delighted to receive your suggestions

Great, more new information, LOL

Before I clicked that link I thought the virus was COVAD-19, and the disease was corona. I didn't like that because I know corona is a class of viruses, but whatever, it seemed to work.

Now I know that the virus is SARS-CoV-2, and the disease is COVAD-19, and corona is just what people unofficially call it.

I think in the end, this is going to be like the word cat. 'Cat' is inaccurate. The official name for a house cat is felus catus, but nobody uses that in day to day conversation. I think the average person will keep calling it corona, or maybe COVAD, but without the 19. Who knows, we live in weird times, so maybe Trump will get his way and we will to back to calling it the wuhan flu or the china flu. Either way, I don't think taxonomic names like SARS-CoV2 is going to stick.

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
100 years ago we probably would have officially called it the china flu or something like that, because we've always had a tendency to name epidemics and pandemics for where they seem to originate (see Spanish Flu, and all 6 types of ebola, for example).
The Spanish Flu originated in the United States. It was called The Spanish Flu, because Spain (neutral in WWI) was the only country talking about the flu at the time. The US and other countries were suppressing the news because they were afraid morale would plummet if people knew other people were getting sick and dying.