Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Great, more new information, LOL
Not new.

Now I know that the virus is SARS-CoV-2, and the disease is COVAD-19, and corona is just what people unofficially call it.
COVID-19

"I", not "A", and it's not called "corona" but "Coronavirus" casually. People who just call it "corona" should be spanked.

'Cat' is inaccurate.
Cat is accurate, it is shorthand for "domestic cat". You just have to pay attention to context.

The official name for a house cat is felus catus, but nobody uses that in day to day conversation.
The scientific name you mean, not official. And it's Felis, not Felus, "i", not "u". It should probably be Felis lybica domesticus in the same way dogs are a subspecies of wolf: Canis Lupus Familiaris.

Either way, I don't think taxonomic names like SARS-CoV2 is going to stick.
I wish people would call it SARS-CoV-2 because maybe then they'll realize that it is genetically related (so closely related it is a sister virus) to the "SARS" virus from some years back and that these sorts of diseases will just keep on happening until humanity gets stricter regulations on meat production/food production and stricter environmental regulations in certain areas.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Great, more new information, LOL
Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. The official names are:

Disease
coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)

Virus
severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2)

Before I clicked that link I thought the virus was COVAD-19, and the disease was corona. I didn't like that because I know corona is a class of viruses, but whatever, it seemed to work.

Now I know that the virus is SARS-CoV-2, and the disease is COVAD-19, and corona is just what people unofficially call it.

I think in the end, this is going to be like the word cat. 'Cat' is inaccurate. The official name for a house cat is felus catus, but nobody uses that in day to day conversation. I think the average person will keep calling it corona, or mViruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, such as measles, but not the name of the virus that causes it (rubeola). e COVAD, but without the 19. Who knows, we live in weird times, so maybe Trump will get his way and we will to back to calling it the wuhan flu or the china flu. Either way, I don't think taxonomic names like SARS-CoV2 is going to stick.
Somehow, you have managed to read the article without noticing the virus is called not COVAD-19 but COVID-19.

That can't be a simple typo, since you repeated the misspelling COVAD several times.

Furthermore, I don't think you can have read the whole thing, or if you did read it all, you didn't fully understand it.

Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. The official names are:

Disease
coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)

Virus
severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2)
The article goes on to explain the distinction between naming a virus and naming the disease it causes:
Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, such as measles, but not the name of the virus that causes it (rubeola).
So if you're talking to an audience of virologists, or writing a scientific paper on the virus, you'll call the virus SARS-CoV-2. If you're talking about the disease, or if the WHO is, at least, then

WHO has begun referring to the virus as “the virus responsible for COVID-19” or “the COVID-19 virus” when communicating with the public.
Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it

Certainly in the UK, and in the rest of the world, as far as I know, people call it Covid-19 without any great difficulty.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Premeditated genocide shuffle:

They're doing this now because they know Bolsonaro is openly sympathetic to assimilationist policy and commercializing the Amazon.

The first issue of NTM’s official magazine, Brown Gold, published in May 1943, summarized their mission: “By unflinching determination we [will] hazard our lives and gamble all for Christ until we have reached the last tribe regardless of where that tribe might be.”
Gosh, I hope these people never find out about North Sentinel.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
A Colorado woman, Leticia Stauch, was arrested earlier this month and charged with the murder of her 11-year-old stepson Gannon, whom she had reported missing in Colorado in late January. His remains were found in a remote area in Florida.

Police have been kind of suspicious of Stauch from the very beginning, as she first told police that her stepson never came home after going to a friend's house, but later said that she had been attacked and raped in her home by a man who then abducted Gannon. She told others that the attack happened in their car, and still another person that Gannon was snatched by two people in a car after falling off of his bike.

Police ended up finding the body by tracing the GPS history of her phone. They believe Gannon was murdered by Stauch in his bedroom in an extremely violent manner on the day she reported him missing. Although she had gone to some length to clean up afterwards, CSI found traces of Gannon's blood spattered all over the room, including inside the electrical sockets, as well as a large pool stain inside his mattress and in the carpet pad and concrete underneath his bed.

• 1Sad
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Free and Govi