WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Nah just the one, I think it was of a jet that puts down its landing gear like RIGHT before it lands, something crazy like that.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez

Are kids today more impressionable than we were as kids? Or just more stupid? I mean, we grew up watching cartoon characters depicted blowing each other up, and we didn't run out and try to mimic what we saw, right?
There was always that kid with a pipe bomb.
There was always that kid finding dad's pistol/hunting rifle.
There was always that kid 'borrowing' the family car.
There was always panicky Satanic Panic parents demanding congressional hearings about rap music or whatever.

There wasn't always dash and doorbell cams or 24 hour news cycles to fill and instant communication with other kids all over the planet.

So, for the love of all things bright and beautiful don't turn into a Satanic Panic congressional hearing rap music mom? :flower:

• 1Agree
Reactions: Lady Darnk Juniorette

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Are kids today more impressionable than we were as kids? Or just more stupid? I mean, we grew up watching cartoon characters depicted blowing each other up, and we didn't run out and try to mimic what we saw, right?
I don't think it's either. Kids have always been just as impressionable and stupid - and I have to kind of have to disagree with Kamilah about news; maybe it wasn't 24 hours back then but it still didn't hesitate to tell you all about how the devil was behind the latest weird teenage fad.

I think it is, largely, internet-driven. Not just that the internet and therefore an audience is there for those with a "need for attention" in the classic sense, but that there's a specific audience that promises to pay you social capital for harming yourself for their entertainment.

Although I can't prove it, I'd lay money on the fact that none of the kids that did this, or the "tide pod challenge", or whatever other self-evidently harmful thing, is actually stupid. In much the same way that 90% of the people out there who make a big deal about having a nearly-psychotic "fear of clowns" aren't really scared of clowns even in the least. It's playacting.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
I've mentioned this here before, but in case that was old school SLU: American news is fuckin' weird. I'm checking into a hotel in Oregon and there's a screen showing CNN. A CGI limo runs over a cross and the headline, IS MORT DOWNEY SATAN? Other place has Fox News going, sometime during one of the Iraq things, second one IIRC. An eagle morphing into a fighter jet and firing missiles. Headline: AMERICA UNDER ATTACK.

International versions of CNN are nothing like that. FOX we don't even allow in the country as a news outlet. Watching evening news from Bellingham, WA in the 80s, was nothing like the weird shit today.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That may be true, but when it comes to stories like the one Katheryne posted about the "latest dangerous kid-thing", it seems to me that outlets like CNN and Fox are never the original sources for those kinds of stories. They add their own level of theatrics yeah, but they always get those stories from local TV news and papers that cover them first.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I've mentioned this here before, but in case that was old school SLU: American news is fuckin' weird. I'm checking into a hotel in Oregon and there's a screen showing CNN. A CGI limo runs over a cross and the headline, IS MORT DOWNEY SATAN? Other place has Fox News going, sometime during one of the Iraq things, second one IIRC. An eagle morphing into a fighter jet and firing missiles. Headline: AMERICA UNDER ATTACK.

International versions of CNN are nothing like that. FOX we don't even allow in the country as a news outlet. Watching evening news from Bellingham, WA in the 80s, was nothing like the weird shit today.
Yeah, US News is mainly geared toward shocking and frightening its viewers.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
That may be true, but when it comes to stories like the one Katheryne posted about the "latest dangerous kid-thing", it seems to me that outlets like CNN and Fox are never the original sources for those kinds of stories. They add their own level of theatrics yeah, but they always get those stories from local TV news and papers that cover them first.
Not a hill I'm gonna fight on. :flower: