A bit of a wanker
SL Rez

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

It's not the first time the DoD ridiculously used camouflage uniforms. Recently, the US Navy changed their working uniform to digital green camo, matching the other ground-based forces. They replaced digital blue camo, nicknamed "Blueberries", which had often left the question, against what are sailors camoflauging themselves? The Blueberries replaced a much more sensible and traditional dungaree/utility uniform that used light solid blue shirts and dark blue trousers.

Navy BDU Type III:

Navy Type I aka "Blueberries"

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Wait Navy is back to maritime camo? One would have thought all those widow insurances taught them not to camouflage personell endangerd of going overboard?

danielravennest

SLU Posts
You would think the obvious color for a Space Force uniform is black, to blend in with the darkness of space. In reality, in full sunlight, the temperature you reach in space is slightly above the boiling point of water (117C). That's why astronaut spacesuits and the outside of the Space Station are white. So in this case, Mel Brooks got it right. Further in reality, 99.99% of the Space Force today are on the ground, controlling satellites and analyzing spysat pictures, so they can wear business casual.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Wait Navy is back to maritime camo? One would have thought all those widow insurances taught them not to camouflage personell endangerd of going overboard?
I don't think they're worn at sea. Which makes their choice as official uniforms that much weirder.

• 1Thanks

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
All right, here's my take on the whole uniforms thing.

Firstly, it's obvious the Space Force is just using Air Force uniforms. The picture in the tweet is the current Air Force fatigue blouse, which is called the OCP uniform, except with a "U.S. Space Force" nametape on it. OCP stands for "Operational Camouflage Pattern". It's also the Army's fatigue blouse - although the Army calls it the "ACU" (Army Combat Uniform) instead of the OCP uniform. The Air Force used to have its own fatigue uniform type and pattern, called the Airman Battle Uniform or ABU, but they gave it up a year and a half ago and moved to these uniforms.

So there is no difference between the uniforms as worn by the Army and the Air Force except that the thread color used for ranks and nametapes is black on Army uniforms and a medium-brown for Air Force uniforms. Now Space Force will use the same uniforms, with dark blue thread for the tapes.

So the question people keep asking on Twitter is "why do you need camouflage in space?" The answer is "you don't", and also that it's a silly question because nobody in the U.S. Space Force is ever going to be in space. You do need camouflage in some places on the ground though, which is where the USSF will actually be working. That's because all the USSF is supposed to do is track satellites (and maintain some of them), and man ICBMs. Now you might be thinking "but wait, if that's all there is to it then why do we need a whole new military branch just to do this, wasn't the Air Force perfectly able to do this just fine?" and the answer is "yes they were, but now Space Force exists because Donald Trump".

With the Navy's uniform - I'll add that ever since the weird smurf-camo debacle, the Navy while it now has a "real" camouflage uniform, doesn't ever wear it on board ship anymore. A couple years ago they came out with this new shipboard working uniform that is an all-over dark blue coverall:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
A couple years ago they came out with this new shipboard working uniform that is an all-over dark blue coverall:

These really aren't much different from the blue coveralls the Navy has used at sea for decades. Every so often, the Navy sort of "reinvents" them, though. When I first joined, they were organizational clothing issued by the command, and only sea-going commands issued them. By the time I retired, they were a part of every sailor's seabag (basically meaning every sailor was required to own a couple). Now, as I understand it, they're organizational clothing again (I could be wrong about this), but this time they're fire-retardant.

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The Royal Navy updated their uniform (which I hadn't realised) in 2015 from the one on the left to the one on the right:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
These really aren't much different from the blue coveralls the Navy has used at sea for decades. Every so often, the Navy sort of "reinvents" them, though. When I first joined, they were organizational clothing issued by the command, and only sea-going commands issued them. By the time I retired, they were a part of every sailor's seabag (basically meaning every sailor was required to own a couple). Now, as I understand it, they're organizational clothing again (I could be wrong about this), but this time they're fire-retardant.
Yeah the big problem with the Navy has always been that they used to have way too many uniforms. They had dress blues, AND they had dress whites, AND they had service whites, AND service khakis, AND they had the blue-and-light-blue work uniforms, AND some of them had overalls, AND the land-based units had BDUs....it was all "because tradition" but at the same time really kind of ridiculous and at some point the Navy had the (very good) idea of saying you know what, tradition is forcing a silly situation, we need like just two or three uniforms at most that we're going to make sailors lug everywhere.

The weird blue-camo uniform was part of that. It was a good intention - it was supposed to be the one work uniform that sailors could wear, land or sea. They decided it had to be some kind of camo probably MOSTLY because the work uniforms of all the other services are camo - but that made for a problem because normal land-camo would just look weird on a ship. Plus it's the Navy and they can't go dressing like landlubbers. So they invented a "Navy-specific" camo pattern. On a ship it was supposed to be great for working, because on a greasy ship uniforms tend to get stained a lot and so that would look less noticeable on clothing that's all splotchy by design which makes a certain amount of sense. But they screwed it up because the designers forgot to make the uniforms fire-retardant, meaning the blue-camo couldn't be worn on ships at all, it was actually banned from use on ships. Why couldn't they have just....made a fire-retardant version of it? I don't know, but Because Reasons they never did. Meanwhile on land, the blue-camo was just pointless because just like you said, what on Earth is it supposed to blend in with? Unless you're hiding at the bottom of one of those micro-tiled swimming pools maybe I guess. But anyways, they tried to make a uniform that could be used on both aboard AND ashore, and they ended up creating a uniform that was impractical to use in EITHER place, lol. So yeah eventually they realized that at least in the matter of working uniforms, the shipboard one had to be different from the land one, there was just no getting around that.

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Yeah the big problem with the Navy has always been that they used to have way too many uniforms. They had dress blues, AND they had dress whites, AND they had service whites, AND service khakis, AND they had the blue-and-light-blue work uniforms, AND some of them had overalls, AND the land-based units had BDUs....it was all "because tradition" but at the same time really kind of ridiculous and at some point the Navy had the (very good) idea of saying you know what, tradition is forcing a silly situation, we need like just two or three uniforms at most that we're going to make sailors lug everywhere.

The weird blue-camo uniform was part of that. It was a good intention - it was supposed to be the one work uniform that sailors could wear, land or sea. They decided it had to be some kind of camo probably MOSTLY because the work uniforms of all the other services are camo - but that made for a problem because normal land-camo would just look weird on a ship. Plus it's the Navy and they can't go dressing like landlubbers. So they invented a "Navy-specific" camo pattern. On a ship it was supposed to be great for working, because on a greasy ship uniforms tend to get stained a lot and so that would look less noticeable on clothing that's all splotchy by design which makes a certain amount of sense. But they screwed it up because the designers forgot to make the uniforms fire-retardant, meaning the blue-camo couldn't be worn on ships at all, it was actually banned from use on ships. Why couldn't they have just....made a fire-retardant version of it? I don't know, but Because Reasons they never did. Meanwhile on land, the blue-camo was just pointless because just like you said, what on Earth is it supposed to blend in with? Unless you're hiding at the bottom of one of those micro-tiled swimming pools maybe I guess. But anyways, they tried to make a uniform that could be used on both aboard AND ashore, and they ended up creating a uniform that was impractical to use in EITHER place, lol. So yeah eventually they realized that at least in the matter of working uniforms, the shipboard one had to be different from the land one, there was just no getting around that.
I've sort of followed the uniform changes the Navy has gone through since I retired in 2007. I'm so glad I didn't have to go through all of that.

• 1Like

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So yeah eventually they realized that at least in the matter of working uniforms, the shipboard one had to be different from the land one, there was just no getting around that.
They had a working uniform that could be worn both ashore and afloat. It was the dungaree uniform, changed in 1998 to the utilities, which looked very similar to the dungarees, except the pants were no longer denim, and the shirt material was slightly different. Why they went away from those, I will never understand.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Despite the fact it was in The Mail, I found the prison diary here -- a TV producer doing 5 years for tax fraud (automatic release on licence/parole half-way through) in Wandsworth, one of London's main prisons, and a notoriously unpleasant place even by the standards of HM Prison Service --- really interesting and insightful.

Conditions in many of the older prisons, or particular wings of them, are pretty bad, but Wandsworth has long had the reputation for being both a physical and administrative shambles.

Worth a read, but avoid the comments, as always.

ETA:

Maybe worth comparing with the article linked to here

Last edited: