WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
It would be a new way to do corrective rape, fer sure.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Not done with this, the topic (and Katheryne who's super awesome and I'd have rollicking arguments over a beer with anytime) deserves more commentary and less flip quips on my part.

What I'm seeing when I see a delight with, or a 'they deserve it', the same root of this toxic abusive culture that is the Anglosphere. (Not exclusive to the Anglosphere. My point is, we can do better.)

What I'd like to see is something more like the Scandinavian model where the focus is to rehabilitate. I'd like to see the focus to be on preventing more harm, and that includes to the offender. The most harm delivered to the offender in my mind is just enough to prevent more harm to others. If that means lock em up for life, so be it.

Schadenfreude is something that happens, I'm super guilty myself. It's something I believe we as a society need to work to rise above. To keep the eye on the ball of prevention, and not get side tracked with vicarious revenge.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Not done with this, the topic (and Katheryne who's super awesome and I'd have rollicking arguments over a beer with anytime) deserves more commentary and less flip quips on my part.

What I'm seeing when I see a delight with, or a 'they deserve it', the same root of this toxic abusive culture that is the Anglosphere. (Not exclusive to the Anglosphere. My point is, we can do better.)

What I'd like to see is something more like the Scandinavian model where the focus is to rehabilitate. I'd like to see the focus to be on preventing more harm, and that includes to the offender. The most harm delivered to the offender in my mind is just enough to prevent more harm to others. If that means lock em up for life, so be it.

Schadenfreude is something that happens, I'm super guilty myself. It's something I believe we as a society need to work to rise above. To keep the eye on the ball of prevention, and not get side tracked with vicarious revenge.
I actually do agree with you. There's entirely too much "eye for an eye" in our society. Worse, our corrections system absolutely sucks at rehabilitation. We do need to do better all around. I posted what I did out of raw emotion. Would I get Schadenfreude from it if that happened? Yeah, probably. But I agree that sexual assault and rape are things no one deserves, even someone who perpetrates it.

That said, I'm not really convinced that sexual predation can be fully rehabilitated, and giving them three hots and a cot in prison for the rest of their lives just isn't adequate punishment in my opinion. Getting what they've given may be the only thing they truly fear, but that doesn't solve the problem for anyone. I don't know what the answer is there.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Congress Is About to Ban the Government From Offering Free Online Tax Filing. Thank TurboTax. — ProPublica

Fuckers. They won't be happy until they've fleeced all of our pockets in every way possible and there is only lint left. WTF are Democrats having anything to do with this, either?
Just in time for Tax Day, the for-profit tax preparation industry is about to realize one of its long-sought goals. Congressional Democrats and Republicans are moving to permanently bar the IRS from creating a free electronic tax filing system.

Last week, the House Ways and Means Committee, led by Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., passed the Taxpayer First Act, a wide-ranging bill making several administrative changes to the IRS that is sponsored by Reps. John Lewis, D-Ga., and Mike Kelly, R-Pa.

In one of its provisions, the bill makes it illegal for the IRS to create its own online system of tax filing. Companies like Intuit, the maker of TurboTax, and H&R Block have lobbied for years to block the IRS from creating such a system. If the tax agency created its own program, which would be similar to programs other developed countries have, it would threaten the industry’s profits.

“This could be a disaster. It could be the final nail in the coffin of the idea of the IRS ever being able to create its own program,” said Mandi Matlock, a tax attorney who does work for the National Consumer Law Center.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Texas lawmakers consider death penalty for women who get abortions

Wow. Yet Roe v. Wade is still the law of the land.

Note that it includes cases of rape, sex-trafficking and incest. A man who rapes you or traffics you doesn't face the death penalty, but you'd be forced to raise either his baby or the johns that they force you to have sex with baby? Motherfuckers, seriously.

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Nobody has a problem when a so-called Christian leader makes a proposal like that. But a Muslim? Oh, he's a terrorist. Well, okay, he is a terrorist, but so is the so-called Christian. But nobody, particularly other Christians, see that!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Wow. Yet Roe v. Wade is still the law of the land.
For the moment. You know this is going to get challenged, all the way up to the Supreme Court, which is now loaded with conservatives who think Roe v. Wade should be overturned. This is going to get worse, fast.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Hammersmith bridge is now closed to traffic and will remain so 'indefinitely' as it's been found to be critically unsafe.
They've been aware for some time that the bridge was simply not strong enough to handle modern traffic but it seems things have now gone too far.

I'm curious to see what they will do, given its 132 years old and a listed building. Listed buildings are considered to be of historical significance and there are strict rules about making changes to them (which can be a bit of a bugger if it's your house and you'd like to not freeze during the winter)

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't know what's more astonishing -- that the artist ever thought this mural was a good idea or that no one at the time objected and no one else seems to have done, either, until now:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Hammersmith bridge is now closed to traffic and will remain so 'indefinitely' as it's been found to be critically unsafe.
They've been aware for some time that the bridge was simply not strong enough to handle modern traffic but it seems things have now gone too far.

I'm curious to see what they will do, given its 132 years old and a listed building. Listed buildings are considered to be of historical significance and there are strict rules about making changes to them (which can be a bit of a bugger if it's your house and you'd like to not freeze during the winter)

Reroute traffic to an alternative bridge and improve pedestrian and bicycle access. Might need a new bridge nearby to take up the vehicle traffic.