Presidential Debate

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Maybe it's because the usual mainstream outlets aren't reporting it, but reputable pollsters have been showing for several weeks now that Biden DOES have a Latino voter problem. And so the "garbage web poll" while not scientific or with any kind of rigorous standard may not be so unreflective as you think.
Google: biden hispanic problem

First organic search result: Analysis: Joe Biden's Hispanic voter problem is real <--- CNN

I also see The Washington Post, The Atlantic, US News and of all thing Slate.com (along with a share of conservative sites, gloating). Oh those awful mainstream outlets...

Also, I see this:

Biden doesn’t have a problem with Hispanics — he has one with Hispanic men (Gotta love the Sacramento Bee!)

Another also, If I change the search to biden latino problem, I get some of the above but I also get The Daily Stormer. But you knew that, didn't you?

Finally, garbage web polls are still garbage. Even when they say what you want them to say.
 

Cristalle

Lady of the House
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
1,376
Location
Flori-duh
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
2903
Google: biden hispanic problem

First organic search result: Analysis: Joe Biden's Hispanic voter problem is real <--- CNN

I also see The Washington Post, The Atlantic, US News and of all thing Slate.com (along with a share of conservative sites, gloating). Oh those awful mainstream outlets...

Also, I see this:

Biden doesn’t have a problem with Hispanics — he has one with Hispanic men (Gotta love the Sacramento Bee!)

Another also, If I change the search to biden latino problem, I get some of the above but I also get The Daily Stormer. But you knew that, didn't you?

Finally, garbage web polls are still garbage. Even when they say what you want them to say.
I have never visited The Daily Stormer. Nice try, though. I didn't need to search for it because the sites I listen to read the polls and their crosstabs and so I hear about it without needing, especially as a black woman, to go to some white supremacist sites.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
I have never visited The Daily Stormer. Nice try, though.
It's a resource just like any other on the web. At least a good a resource as web polls are.
 

Cristalle

Lady of the House
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
1,376
Location
Flori-duh
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
2903
It's a resource just like any other on the web. At least a good a resource as web polls are.
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I wouldn't have bothered to use them as a resource, though.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
Dunno why I bother, but it feels like there are times when his -exact- words need to be scrutinized, because, like non-apologies, he will dance around something with so much word salad, that it -sounds- like he said a thing, but never did.

So here goes. Today on CNN in one of his shouty-by-the-helicopter interviews he said, (and I transcribed directly as best as I could):

"I don't know who the proudboys are, I mean you'll have to give me a definition, 'cause I really don't know who they are..." --- Gee fuckstain, dunno what to tell you... maybe check your daily intelligence briefing -any- day of the week? You're the goddamned president, it's your fucking job to be informed instead of stroking your ego to clueless FOX adulation.

Confronted again, about telling proudboys to 'standby' he responded: 'Just stand by. Look, law enforcement will do their work. They're gonna stand down, they're gonna have to stand down. Everybody! They have to sta... Whatever the group you're talking about, let law enforcement do the work! Now, ANTIFA is a real problem, because the problem is on the left.' blah blah blah. -- wait... who's 'they' here? Because you could have just said that law enforcment is gonna have to stand down.

When asked again about refusing to denounce white supremacy, he -still- refused to name it, pulling another 'both sides' by asserting: "I've always denounced ANY FORM... ANY FORM! Any form of any of 'that', you have to denounce. But I also... Joe Biden has to say something about ANTIFA.' {blah blah, pivot, blah}

Always?
And yet he still can't.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
That's incredibly condescending. There are a lot of people who, even under the ACA, functionally have no insurance because using it would be too expensive. Because simpletons keep soiling their underpants over "socialism" when nobody is asking for real socialism, we can't have smart policies that other advanced nations have.

If things like health care matter, and you're poor, it's not just being "butthurt." But let's cry about other people and their privilege now.
Like I've said before, you can't build a fancy house on a rotten foundation. I'm not against universal healthcare. But this simply isn't the time for it. The country isn't ready for it (and we've got far bigger problems to tend to right now), so running a campaign based on providing it is going to fail, and pretty much take democracy with it when Trump wins again. Anyone who doesn't see that has a very tenuous grasp of reality, or are the kind of people who take their toys and go home when they don't get what they want when they want it.

I've had to put off some needed procedures because I just flat-out can't afford it even with my insurance. But right now, my priority is getting the Orange Shitgibbon out of the White House, and anything that does not work to accomplish that goal is just simply in the way. I'm sorry if you think that's condescending, but right now, that's fucking reality.
 

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,459
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
420
A thing to keep in mind when trying to send kids to military school to learn discipline... look how well it worked on poor out of control Donnyboy...
Bone spurs.
 

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,459
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
420
Quite possibly, but I thought Biden's idea was to leave no one without some form of medical insurance, be it Medicare or their existing insurance, rather than to leave people without cover.

I get really frustrated with people who say that Medicare for All is a desirable goal, since that does absolutely nothing about the way healthcare is delivered in the US, which is the real problem -- the US spends far more on healthcare as a proportion of GDP than do other OECD countries (almost twice as much as does the UK) with far worse outcomes.

That's not because there's anything wrong with US doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff, but because the system that delivers it designed not to provide quality healthcare to all patients who need it but to deliver a good return on investment to shareholders.

Simply having the government take over pumping money into a broken system seems to me a really bad solution (but then I'm a socialist of sorts).
And that’s the problem in a nutshell. It’s all about profit. They don’t give a rats ass about delivering quality healthcare, they only care about profit.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
My husband and I are covered by Medicare, being of that certain age. Recipients all get statements of bills paid when Medicare receives and pays a medical service provider. The raw reality for us, for Medicare, and for the providers is that Medicare does not pay what it is billed. For covered expenses, it pays what might be called the "reasonable and usual" amount for the covered service. In central coastal California, this can range from 80% to (more commonly) 10% of the amount billed. Medicare makes national assessments of provider costs and reasonable profits, makes (probably complex) adjustments, and then settles on the amount it will pay. The point I've been trying to make is that it pays less than the bill and pays differently in each area of the United States. This is how I hear "Medicare for all," and it means that the monopsony of Medicare will be extended to 100%, not merely the present elderly and other eligible citizens.

It is a fundamental change for the American health industry. The gotcha in this (in which Medicare is the issuer of the "gotcha") is that if a provider provides care to a Medicare patient, that provider also agrees to accept Medicare payments as payment in full. There are exceptions and for those on small fixed incomes, those exceptions can be painful to the budget, but the end effect is very much the same as the NHS, as I see it.
In other words, like any other insurance plan.
 
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Govi

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
It's a resource just like any other on the web. At least a good a resource as web polls are.
One used by the american reich. Web polls are pointless most of the time but they are rarely urging violence.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Like I've said before, you can't build a fancy house on a rotten foundation. I'm not against universal healthcare. But this simply isn't the time for it. The country isn't ready for it (and we've got far bigger problems to tend to right now), so running a campaign based on providing it is going to fail, and pretty much take democracy with it when Trump wins again. Anyone who doesn't see that has a very tenuous grasp of reality, or are the kind of people who take their toys and go home when they don't get what they want when they want it.

I've had to put off some needed procedures because I just flat-out can't afford it even with my insurance. But right now, my priority is getting the Orange Shitgibbon out of the White House, and anything that does not work to accomplish that goal is just simply in the way. I'm sorry if you think that's condescending, but right now, that's fucking reality.
I have no time for people who scream socialism and run away from whatever before actually looking at it. With most of my anscestry from nordic countries I am continually perplexed why it is not here.

It seems to be a boomer thing. Every generation after them is less concerned with the things they worry about.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Cristalle

Lady of the House
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
1,376
Location
Flori-duh
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
2903
Like I've said before, you can't build a fancy house on a rotten foundation. I'm not against universal healthcare. But this simply isn't the time for it. The country isn't ready for it (and we've got far bigger problems to tend to right now), so running a campaign based on providing it is going to fail, and pretty much take democracy with it when Trump wins again. Anyone who doesn't see that has a very tenuous grasp of reality, or are the kind of people who take their toys and go home when they don't get what they want when they want it.

I've had to put off some needed procedures because I just flat-out can't afford it even with my insurance. But right now, my priority is getting the Orange Shitgibbon out of the White House, and anything that does not work to accomplish that goal is just simply in the way. I'm sorry if you think that's condescending, but right now, that's fucking reality.
The country is ready for it. And looking down your nose at people who are advocating for it doesn't help. Congress has endless money for the war contractors. The Fed has essentially socialized the stock market. Acting as if that isn't reality is part of the problem. They can do it, people need to stop falling for the stupid talking points.
 
  • 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
The country is ready for it. And looking down your nose at people who are advocating for it doesn't help. Congress has endless money for the war contractors. The Fed has essentially socialized the stock market. Acting as if that isn't reality is part of the problem. They can do it, people need to stop falling for the stupid talking points.
What do you mean by "socialized the stock market"?

I tried Googling the phrase, and I'm pretty sure you don't mean what this guy means,


or what Jacobin mean (which is rather different)


And I really don't see why you think "the country is ready" to transfer taxpayers' money to people who own shares in HMOs but not (I assume) yet ready to have a proper publicly-owned and managed national health system.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
If it wasn't that sad, it would be funny.
And, of course, it gives The Lincoln Project the opportunity to make a quick ad mocking him because Fox think he's not smart enough to debate without their telling him what to do (a bit like running the country, really), and run that in the DC area shortly before the next debate at a time they know he'll be watching, to make sure he's too annoyed to follow the advice.