Police Brutality Protests Thread

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Don’t know. They kept saying that they were “accredited” but not who by or what that even means. I wonder if they just weren’t out LERPing. *

* Law Enforcement Role Players.
Thanks. That suggests they're accredited by the Security Industry Authority, which is a legal requirement here for private security guards and door staff (bouncers). So what you'd call "mall cops" maybe?

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
Thanks. That suggests they're accredited by the Security Industry Authority, which is a legal requirement here for private security guards and door staff (bouncers). So what you'd call "mall cops" maybe?
Maybe something like. But they were out on the public streets and mall cops only have “authority” inside private property.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Maybe something like. But they were out on the public streets and mall cops only have “authority” inside private property.
The law is a bit different here, and, anyway, it's not clear to me that they aren't on private property. I can't comment one way or the other, since I'm not familiar with the town, but it looks not unlike private shopping precincts I've used in the past.

And, of course, regular police officers generally make it very clear what their authority is when it's challenged.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
We have some fucking racist cops and a piss poor record of dealing with them. The only reason cops get fired here is for padding their timecards.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Myradyl Muse and Archer

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

I wanted to leave a response to these posts but we are only allowed one emoji and my feelings about this run the gamut from rage to abject sorrow. I don't have words. :anger::shakefist:🤬😥😢😭

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A police officer in Columbus, Ohio, was temporarily removed from duty pending the outcome of criminal and internal investigations following the fatal shooting of an apparently unarmed Black man early Tuesday.

Mayor Andrew Ginther demanded that the unidentified officer who fired the shot be removed following news that the officer's body camera was switched off in the moments leading up to the shooting.

"While it is very early in the investigation, there is one fact that disturbs me greatly," Ginther said in a news conference Tuesday, according to member station WOSU. "The officer involved did not turn on their body-worn camera until after the shooting."

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Information is trickling in slowly regarding the police shooting someone yesterday. It happened a block away from Matt's Bar, near a Holiday gas station.

Apparently the gas station was very busy. All pumps had vehicles, many folks on foot as well. They shot into that. They are saying it was a felony stop, meaning, I guess, that they had reason to believe the suspect was armed? Lots of witnesses might be good no matter how it comes down.

Also, not confirmed as of yet, but one of the officers is said to have been part of the Jamar Clark murder in 2015. In many ways that is one of many murders that set Mpls off. it continued after that, with Philando Castille and Justine Damond that helped lead to the incredible anger that evolved after they murdered George Floyd.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The city has released bodycam footage of the shooting. That appears to validate their story that the suspect fired first.

The video: Graphic so NSFW. It does not show his death or anything, but it would likely still be considered graphic

The slowed down video, which shows more clearly that the first shot came from inside the vehicle as the glass explodes outward. The sound also appears to be of a different caliber than the officer's guns.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Newark police: No officer fired a single shot in 2020, thanks to de-escalation program
Newark police and city officials say a de-escalation training program is working, especially in a year faced with challenges.

Public Safety Director Anthony Ambrose says 2020 was the roughest year in his 34-year career in law enforcement.

Six of their 1,100 officers lost their lives to COVID-19 with dozens more officers sick after being exposed on the job.

They also faced major challenges during the summer's anti-police brutality protests.

Through it all, Ambrose says not one officer in the city fired his or her weapon while on duty in 2020.