Police Brutality Protests Thread

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I like how that looks, but I'm also going to wait until tomorrow; because I got up this morning to read reports that some of those city police departments that were in the viral photos yesterday evening taking a knee along with the protesters and hugging old black women, turned right around and started slinging the gas an hour and a half later. So, we will see.
 

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember

ETA: I just want to add, this is the man who police killed with their body cameras turned off. They then left his body out unattended for over 12 hours as a grim warming to other protesters.
 
Last edited:

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Warning, this tweet shows a different angle from yesterday’s event of a truck deliberately driving into protesters. A tweet later in the thread says no one was badly hurt (that seems like a miracle given the video) but it’s graphic and you may find it difficult to watch.

 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,089
SL Rez
2002
Thread from last year, retweeted by a respected legal analyst I follow, with some remarkable evidence-based policy recommendations for reducing police violence.
The average training period of an US police officer is 19 weeks. So they get what they are paying for - shitty cops with sloppy behaviour.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
One of the things on the dc news this morning is someone who opened his home to protesters when they were fleeing the cops. Tear gas chased them in. His father was an immigrant. A lot of good conversations there from the sound of it.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289

It's not particularly likely that will happen, or at least not yet, but it's certainly not impossible (and I can foresee campaigners seeking a judicial review of the legality of such exports under the ECHR).
Unfortunately they can probably do just fine. Police batons were manufactured in the town next to where I grew up and I doubt they were the only place like that.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Unfortunately they can probably do just fine. Police batons were manufactured in the town next to where I grew up and I doubt they were the only place like that.
I think they're talking about baton rounds (a.k.a. "rubber bullets") as opposed to batons.

Baton rounds, as I understand it, were developed by the British military for use against protestors in NI during the 1970s, so I would imagine we're a major manufacturer of the things still.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
It is really messed up here. The orange slug wants to play big tough boy and, well, dc has to follow its orders. Basically, dc is a colony. There is a reason our license plates on cars say 'taxation without representation'. Fortunately the states can tell it to push off if it tries the same there.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I think they're talking about baton rounds (a.k.a. "rubber bullets") as opposed to batons.

Baton rounds, as I understand it, were developed by the British military for use against protestors in NI during the 1970s, so I would imagine we're a major manufacturer of the things still.
Sorry, I meant I would imagine other places make similar things. In fact their parent company is Safariland - Wikipedia and used to be in the uk but now is in florida where that group makes all sorts of police stuff.
 

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,459
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
420
Warning, this tweet shows a different angle from yesterday’s event of a truck deliberately driving into protesters. A tweet later in the thread says no one was badly hurt (that seems like a miracle given the video) but it’s graphic and you may find it difficult to watch.

 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
Warning, this tweet shows a different angle from yesterday’s event of a truck deliberately driving into protesters. A tweet later in the thread says no one was badly hurt (that seems like a miracle given the video) but it’s graphic and you may find it difficult to watch.
Actually it was an accident. He was on the freeway before the ramps were closed off, and the driver is VERY RELIEVED he did not hurt or kill anyone. He had just delivered a load of gas to a station and was (I guess) returning back to work. I'd link to multiple local news media, but it's warm and muggy here. Check out TV stations KSTP, WCCO, KARE-11, local papers Star Tribune, St Paul Pioneer Press, and Minnesota Public Radio (MPR).

Additionally, after getting pulled out and roughed up, other protesters surrounded and protected him. When police and emergency vehicles pulled up the protesters dispersed peacefully.