Police Brutality Protests Thread

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
And that is strike 3 for the state patrol.

1) woman blinded in left eye by rubber bullet fired by state patrol - they are TAUGHT to aim low. An eye is not low.
2) "light em up" when they fired on people watching from a porch.
3) not ensuring the safety of protestors by having patrol cars with flashing lights behind the protest.
Oh yeah, forgot about arresting those journalists and LYING about it.
Baton rounds (rubber bullets) are intended to be fired at the ground in front of the protestors, so they bounce up and strike them on the leg or thigh.

That's how the British Army are trained to use them, and under no circumstances should the cops be firing them directly at people.

The damn things are dangerous enough anyway when they bounce off the ground, for heaven's sake.
 
  • 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Pamela and Sid

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
I just had to unfollow a friend on Facebook. I could understand her posting in support of the police because her husband's a cop and several relatives. That part's OK, they're not all evil (though the evil ate seen to outnumber the good these days). But when she started in with stuff like this:
So if you have a problem with the fact that I am no longer going to stay quiet because I might offend the BLM group, then let me know now. I will be happy to put you in the people-who-hate-our-police list that I created just for my liberal media-brainwashed friends who, through no fault of their own seem to have been taken in with this madness like cult members. If you are one of them, let me know and I will happily move you over to that other list at once. Or perhaps find the snooze for 30 days button or save us both the trouble of doing it again for the next national riot day and just defriend me now. I'm good with that too..
I knew interaction with her, for a while, anyway, would not end well.
I didn't unfriend her because we both work our local sci-fi cons and know each other in real life. I knew her family "bled blue", but politics never came up (it doesn't usually at sci-fi events outside of random context). So I unfollowed her, quietly.
Perhaps I should have just unfriended her, but I funny want to be the cause of the awkwardness when I run into her again. Let her be the one to do it if she doesn't like my posts.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Thread filled with each Republican Senator’s responses to yesterday.

 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Archer

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Messages
87
Location
USA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2008
Going to protest tonight. Wish me luck. We are a small town, still I fear the cops could make it ugly.
I am not a young one any more with health issues.
Pax
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
Baton rounds (rubber bullets) are intended to be fired at the ground in front of the protestors, so they bounce up and strike them on the leg or thigh.

That's how the British Army are trained to use them, and under no circumstances should the cops be firing them directly at people.

The damn things are dangerous enough anyway when they bounce off the ground, for heaven's sake.
Are those rounds designed to deform and tumble once they hit pavement? It seems like quite a risk if they maintain their energy once they ricochet.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I just had to unfollow a friend on Facebook. I could understand her posting in support of the police because her husband's a cop and several relatives. That part's OK, they're not all evil (though the evil ate seen to outnumber the good these days). But when she started in with stuff like this:

I knew interaction with her, for a while, anyway, would not end well.
I didn't unfriend her because we both work our local sci-fi cons and know each other in real life. I knew her family "bled blue", but politics never came up (it doesn't usually at sci-fi events outside of random context). So I unfollowed her, quietly.
Perhaps I should have just unfriended her, but I funny want to be the cause of the awkwardness when I run into her again. Let her be the one to do it if she doesn't like my posts.
Join the crowd. I am arguing with my beloved sister. She once came from nothing and faced police brutality in her small town based upon nothing but her last name.

She's now comfortably ensconced in well-to-do suburbia, with her Mexican husband, mind you.

We are at an impasse. I told her I will always love you no matter what, but you need to take yourself out of your current circumstances and see it as it is.

We, somehow, have to keep those lines of communication open, based upon our binds.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I’m not sure how to process this thread. It‘s an interpretation of Trump’s intentions behind the bizarre Bible stunt and who it was aimed at:
So, basically, he's their anti-Christ..... and they are all antichristian. For they do not follow the words of their Christ, but go against them.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Salome

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
This is a good thread about the kind of problems local politicians face when they try to push for police reform and why there’s some hope that the current demand by the public for change might finally help shift that balance of power:
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Shit. Try to get a police response over here on the north side. I remind you of the thousands of 9/11 calls that went unanswered among the entire city, including bodily damage calls like rape/homicide.

I'll believe it when I see it. I cannot remember the last time I've seen even a cruiser patrolling. They made us pay for the murder of Philando Castille and all of their other transgressions in a big way. They are invisible. We have seen police depts threaten that in the past, and let me tell you, that is what they do here.

The best we get is after someone is shot at. Even then, they put in minimal effort. They roll up, clean up bodies, if required and then are never seen again.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Salome

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
Thread

Dictators and authoritarian populists the world over are having fun trolling the US

I'm surprised Iran felt they had to lie. The truth is awful enough. And what are they smoking in Italy? "Claw back consensus"?? If he manages to claw anything, it won't be consensus. Consensus is agreement. Rather than agreement, this is, is anything, abdication: Thread by @kasie: Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., on the president’s photo op at St. John’s last night: “Didn’t really see it.” Sen. Kelly Loeffler, R-Ga., does not…
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Salome

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I'm surprised Iran felt they had to lie. The truth is awful enough. And what are they smoking in Italy? "Claw back consensus"?? If he manages to claw anything, it won't be consensus. Consensus is agreement.
I suspect it probably makes more sense in the original Italian and in context.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Salome

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Baton rounds (rubber bullets) are intended to be fired at the ground in front of the protestors, so they bounce up and strike them on the leg or thigh.

That's how the British Army are trained to use them, and under no circumstances should the cops be firing them directly at people.

The damn things are dangerous enough anyway when they bounce off the ground, for heaven's sake.
Cops get training in other countries?