Police Brutality Protests Thread

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Amsterdam this afternoon:



Way to many people on the Dam square to keep enough distance to each other, but the mayor and the police were smart enough not to try and end the demonstration because of that.
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
Occam's razor suggests -- at least to me -- that it's at least primarily a well-intentioned warning to people who might not want to get caught up in rioting (not a pleasant experience, as I learned when I found myself in the middle of the Trafalgar Square poll tax riot 30 years ago).
Having been caught in the middle of a riot myself (A small boy, I hid in a back-room while the rioters looted my fathers shop) I disagree - perhaps you're not cynical enough ?
 
  • 2Hug
Reactions: Romana and Soen Eber

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Having been caught in the middle of a riot myself (A small boy, I hid in a back-room while the rioters looted my fathers shop) I disagree - perhaps you're not cynical enough ?
I dunno.

I've twice lived very uncomfortably close to riots (Handsworth and later Tottenham, near Broadwater Farm) and I can't imagine the authorities not warning people to stay away from the area while the fighting was going on - it's hardly the sort of thing you'd want to wander into.

Similarly, back when I used to attend the Notting Hill Carnival back in the 80s and 90s, I always considered it prudent to stay away from the sound systems underneath the Westway later in the evening (and, indeed, anywhere away from the main route on the Monday evening), and gave others that advice, since I knew from experience that if there was going to be any rioting, that was where it was likely to start.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I just read that it wasn't forged, whatever test or examination they did was a false positive.
This doesn't surprise me and it's completely believable. The usual "counterfeit test" is a swipe with a marker that basically uses iodine for "ink". The theory is that the iodine will stay yellow when swiped on genuine cotton money and will turn black when it reacts to the starch of the paper that fake money would be printed on. That works well enough for new-ish bills, but over time a real cotton bill can collect enough starch from paper and clothing and wallets to turn the iodine black.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
I am worried the riots will be an excuse for trump to suspend the Constitution and delay the vote in November. What is worse the racists are seeing this and confirming their racists beliefs. This has gone past finger pointing.
Donnie can't suspend the Constitution. It is a pact between states. His position as president is *defined* by the Constitution. So if it were suspended, his job would no longer exist.
 
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: Romana

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Donnie can't suspend the Constitution. It is a pact between states. His position as president is *defined* by the Constitution. So if it were suspended, his job would no longer exist.
This would matter to it how?
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
After Police Shoot Man In West End, Calls For Justice, Body Camera Footage

Man who owned a BBQ stand, and feed police for free, killed early today by police/National Guard (both were present). Body was left in street for 12 hours. This was in Louisville where Breonna Taylor was shot and killed in her own home after plainclothes cops broke into her apartment and got shot by her boyfriend (whereupon they returned fire killing Breonna). They were using a No-Knock warrant which allows cops to break into homes without announcing they were police. And, apparently, without wearing police uniforms or visible identification.

ETA: oh, and I should probably have put this in the other thread, since this was 20 blocks away from the protest.
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
That's the color of shit, which you are, so yes, you are black.
black stools can indicate bleeding or other injuries in your gastrointestinal tract. You may also have dark, discolored bowel movements after eating dark-colored foods. Tell your doctor any time you have bloody or black-colored stool to rule out serious medical conditions.
You might want to see a doctor if you think shit is supposed to be black colored.
 
  • 1Useful
Reactions: Monica Dream

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Thread


and this

 

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
I’ve seen many images over the last few days that made my stomach clench up like I’d been punched, but this one, I think, may have been the most terrifying:


(The man who snapped the photo does note later the man and his daughter were not fired upon, but...that doesn’t do much to lessen the impact for me.)
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
After Police Shoot Man In West End, Calls For Justice, Body Camera Footage

Man who owned a BBQ stand, and feed police for free, killed early today by police/National Guard (both were present). Body was left in street for 12 hours. This was in Louisville where Breonna Taylor was shot and killed in her own home after plainclothes cops broke into her apartment and got shot by her boyfriend (whereupon they returned fire killing Breonna). They were using a No-Knock warrant which allows cops to break into homes without announcing they were police. And, apparently, without wearing police uniforms or visible identification.

ETA: oh, and I should probably have put this in the other thread, since this was 20 blocks away from the protest.
Update: Mayor of Louisville just fired the police chief.
Louisville police chief fired after officer bodycams found to be off during fatal shooting
Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer announced the decision to relieve Conrad during a Monday afternoon press conference, where the deceased was identified as David McAtee. Conrad was set to retire later this month.

“David was a friend to many, a well known barbecue man that nurtured so many people in their bellies and their hearts before," Fischer said of the victim. "And for him to be caught up in this, for him to not be here with us is a tragedy. It’s just hard to put into words.”
The two officers involved, who were either not wearing or did not have their cameras activated, have been placed on administrative leave. It's unclear whether the fatal shot was fired by law enforcement or a separate individual, active Chief Rob Schroeder said Monday.