The first time I canceled my NYTimes subscription was in the 1980s. I was a young (naive) adult, living in New York City, and I felt ever so sophisticated reading the Times every morning. One particular series of articles, however, finally crystallized for me the perspective of the paper. During a commuter train strike, they reported breathlessly on the harrowing experience of commuters forced to use public transport and even walk through poor neighborhoods. Hmm, kinda like my daily experience, which I had never considered to be unduly terrifying. I switched over to the Daily News, because I finally realized the Times did not consider me to be part of their readership.
Decades later, long after I'd moved away from the city, I took out an online subscription because there were so many Times articles of depth and interest. I still didn't trust them completely, and inevitably they would publish something that set me screaming and once again I would cancel. A year or two would pass by and I'd renew again, then leave. I think I'm gone for good this time around. I can't even remember the specific article that set me off, but it doesn't really matter. As that tweet makes clear, they are a copaganda outlet for the ruling elite, and I just can't stomach their view of the world.
I'm not sure the Washington Post is that much better, but for some reason I've found it palatable and less snotty.