Nobody Cares: PRS

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Am I the only person here who wondered what on earth this was all about, and who was somewhat bemused to find it was from an article from 1995 discussing the then new speaker of the house Newt Gingrich?

Not sure I fully understand the point here.
I put it there to bemuse you.

If you are not familiar with George Orwell's 1984 ...

• 1lolwut?
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Am I the only person here who wondered what on earth this was all about, and who was somewhat bemused to find it was from an article from 1995 discussing the then new speaker of the house Newt Gingrich?

Not sure I fully understand the point here.
My understanding is it is one of the turning points that helped create this insanity, when Gingrich started making the right cultish through the use of controlling language and big lies. It started the decoupling of the right from reality. It ties in to the previous post about Norm Orstein tying Gingrich to our current situation. I used to hear Norm on public radio (he was local) and he had a lot of interesting things to say: he was always good about reading between the lines and reading past the dog whistles.

Redefining reality has always been one of the core approaches of the right, which fits considering their history of salesmanship (advertising, corporate interests, etc).

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I put it there to bemuse you.

If you are not familiar with George Orwell's 1984 ...
Not sufficiently familiar with it to understand your implied reference, certainly, nor sufficiently curious to be bothered to try to think what it might be, I'm afraid.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Sovereignty

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Not sufficiently familiar with it to understand your implied reference, certainly, nor sufficiently curious to be bothered to try to think what it might be, I'm afraid.
You really should read up on it. A lot of what we've been seeing for the past 20 years began with Gingrich's memo. It's significant enough you should at least be aware of it ... it likens unto both New Speak and the Big Lie.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
You really should read up on it. A lot of what we've been seeing for the past 20 years began with Gingrich's memo. It's significant enough you should at least be aware of it ... it likens unto both New Speak and the Big Lie.
Thanks. Now I get the reference, yes, I see what you mean.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Bee Nguyen, Georgia’s first Vietnamese American state representative, donned an áo dài to her swearing-in ceremony on Tuesday.

[...]

Nguyen, 39, decided to wear the garment in response to the Capitol siege on Jan. 6, in which rioters carried the South Vietnamese flag.

“When I saw the South Vietnamese flag flown during last week’s attempted coup, I felt deep anger and shame. I decided to wear my Viet áo dài to take the oath of office — because they don’t get to speak for me,” Nguyen tweeted.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
The word “Orwellian” has lost all meaning

They say the Republicans are to blame, but I think it was a soft target. Who knew the following?

That’s why in 1984, one of Big Brother’s chief directives is to keep simplifying the English language into Newspeak, in which anything really positive is doubleplusgood and anything really bad is doubleplusungood. All of the nuances and richness of English are stripped away; the bare and skeletal language that remains renders complex thought impossible. And so the citizens of the dystopian society of Oceana are left blankly following after Big Brother, believing in the lies that he tells them because they no longer have the language to recognize the truth.
And in that vein of stripping away nuances and richness, in early 1995 Newt Gingrich had the GOPAC distribute instructions to all incoming Republican congressmen to use words that exaggerated the differences between themselves and Democrats--though I find one reference to a similar document from Gingrich in 1990.

Living through that time, I had the distinct impression that all Republicans had gone nuts.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Also from Vox: What the history of the Ku Klux Klan can teach us about the Capitol riot

The headline over-promises. No surprise. The article is an interesting interview with Linda Gordon who wrote The Second Coming of the KKK: The Ku Klux Klan of the 1920s and the American Political Tradition. They mostly go over the differences among the three (!) main incarnations of the KKK and its current state. Currently the KKK is not particularly important, surpassed by Proud Boys, boogaloos, and the like.

It's interesting that the 1920's KKK was primarily active in northern states and focused on Catholics and immigrants. It seems to have morphed into Nazi sympathizers in the 1930's.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ted Cruz’s Former Staffers Are ‘Disgusted’ by His New Low for Trump
Ted Cruz has long had a public reputation as an unctuous asshole. Even so, his staffers have tended to hold him in high regard as a kind and geeky man who treated his underlings well even while his fellow senators loathed him. Now, though, “most of Cruzworld is pretty disgusted” with the senator for choosing to back Donald Trump’s absurd claims of widespread election fraud, in the words of one former aide. As another former aide put it, “Everyone is upset with the direction things have gone, and the longer they’ve been with the senator, the more distaste they are expressing.”
Cruzworld?

• 1Like
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield