Nobody Cares: PRS

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
A lunatic with a knife has stabbed and murdered several people at a mall in Sydney, Australia, before he was killed by a police woman.

Before he got shot, the attacker had been stopped by a "good guy with a bollard".

List of effective weapons used to end amok runs in countries that don't have the 2nd Amendment:
  • milk crates
  • fire extinguishers
  • wicker chairs
  • narwhal tusks
  • bollards

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Did he drop his mic at that point?
There's no legal bar in the UK on first cousins marrying, though it's not particularly common outside particular ethno-religious groups . Nor, apparently, is the practice either illegal or unlawful in most of Europe, or Russia, North Africa and the Middle East, the Americas outside the US, or Canada and New Zealand.

I've always distrusted the public health argument, because it's based on eugenics. I certainly wouldn't prevent people from marrying because they were carriers of particular hereditary genetic disorders, even though their children might well be at a far greater risk than the children of a marriage between first cousins, so it seems illogical and unfair to ban marriage between first cousins on those grounds.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Last edited:

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
Before he got shot, the attacker had been stopped by a "good guy with a bollard".

List of effective weapons used to end amok runs in countries that don't have the 2nd Amendment:
  • milk crates
  • fire extinguishers
  • wicker chairs
  • narwhal tusks
  • bollards
One of the good samaritans who backed up the policewoman had one of those metal bistro chairs. The prevailing comment from the armchair audience seems to be "Why didn't someone grab a baseball/cricket bat from Rebel Sport?" (probably not possible in reality to be that resourceful. Considering the door scanners, and maybe luring a hapless security guard towards danger whilst they chase you for theft. The attacker was on a different floor with the commotion out of earshot from there).

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
It is mysterious. Sometimes it works and others it does not seemingly randomly.
Yeah, I've experienced that as well. AP links especially are hit-or-miss. I think I've had it happen to me with Reuters links too.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
For good or ill, he's still a former president and still deserving of protection as he represented the United States, preferably within the walls of a federal penitentiary. This could start yet another tit-for-tat politicized trend, this time concerning the safety of elected officials, ending with with protection being withdrawn for partisan reasons - which brings authoritarian government and plausibly deniable "lone wolf" assaults on political opponents within easier reach.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
For good or ill, he's still a former president and still deserving of protection as he represented the United States, preferably within the walls of a federal penitentiary. This could start yet another tit-for-tat politicized trend, this time concerning the safety of elected officials, ending with with protection being withdrawn for partisan reasons - which brings authoritarian government and plausibly deniable "lone wolf" assaults on political opponents within easier reach.
I think the "danger" is overblown, myself. Prisons have long experience incarcerating big-name felons. He would be kept apart from GenPop (note my use of a term I learned from network crime shows). They managed Al Capone and Ted Bundy, they can handle an overweight, elderly orange slug.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I think the "danger" is overblown, myself. Prisons have long experience incarcerating big-name felons. He would be kept apart from GenPop (note my use of a term I learned from network crime shows). They managed Al Capone and Ted Bundy, they can handle an overweight, elderly orange slug.
There's a misunderstanding here. I do not wish protection withdrawn while they are outside the prison after serving their sentence. I'm sure within prison Trump will be protected, but after serving his sentence I don't want a former president, however vile, to fear for his life by living without secret service protection.

He represents the United States: it would be rather tawdry if he got mugged & robbed at gunpoint. The image of the USA has already taken several hits because of him, we should not compound it by telling world we are not safe even for the (formerly) most powerful political office holders. Playing with the safety of elected officials inevitably leads down a slippery path I've seen far too often historically and in the current world; this is not Rome under Sulla.