Argent Stonecutter
Emergency Mustelid Hologram
- Joined
- Sep 20, 2018
- Messages
- 7,938
- Location
- Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
- SL Rez
- 2005
- Joined SLU
- Sep 2009
- SLU Posts
- 20780
There are two kinds of Christians out there.I'm sorry, but I can't agree. As with any other religion, people who regard themselves as Christians manage to interpret their religion as meaning any number of different things, and particularly when it comes to social rather than theological issues. I'd say that, so long as someone subscribes to some pretty basic tenets -- Jesus was the Son of God, died on the cross, rose on the third day and ascended into heaven -- they're a Christian of one sort or another, no matter how repulsive their views on other subjects may be or may have been.
Indeed not.There are two kinds of Christians out there.
There are the loud gong-banging, cymbal-crashing, holier-than-thou "Christians" who believe it their God-given mission to jam their beliefs down other people's throats. Evangelicals come to mind here, and the Bible has warnings about this sort.
Then there are the ones who just try to be good, kind, and decent people who try to help those around them and live by Jesus's teachings. People like Jimmy Carter come to mind.
It just wouldn't be right to paint us all with the same brush.
Oh and that Red Sea moment swings both ways; sometimes you're the one standing in the middle when the waves are released.
That movie can feel a bit like a retelling of early Christians and their experiences during Roman times. Except the Christians rarely made it back to Coney Island by morning.Christians! Come out and plaayeeeeaaaay
Participating in the dating scene is already hard enough. And still, businesses keep finding ways to make it even worse.
For instance, this restaurant came up with a catfishing scheme to get people to come to eat at their establishments, which many people fell for. Now they are starting to talk about it on the internet. And we all know that when the internet is infuriated, it’s not good news for the target of it.
Wacaco Nanopresso - I got the Dark Souls edition, the default edition is a bit more affordableWhat is that? If it helps with coffee, I NEED it.
As they rolled their eyes at the frustratingly familiar sight of price markups in grocery store aisles, shoppers in 2022 might have wondered whether corporations were doing everything they could to keep prices down as inflation hit generational highs. The answer now appears to be a resounding no.
Even more affordable is my GAT Italian-made stainless steel mokla pot; I own two sizes, baby and granddaddy. I discovered they transfrm reltively cheap local beans into sheer bloody nectar.Wacaco Nanopresso - I got the Dark Souls edition, the default edition is a bit more affordable
Mostly agree with you; always saw organized religion as the bureaucracy of spirituality, where the original concept(s) were hijacked for personal & political power and convenience. When belief isn't even skin deep and has no traces of the original teachings, that's when it gets nasty or comical.The basic tenets of Christianity represent a faith based in a personal relationship with God. Religion is a political structure that many succumb to slavishly following rather than fostering their relationship with God. Those types use broad brushes that hatefully paint over everybody who doesn't support their program. It pains me to say "hatefully" but decades of exposure dictate my opinion. Oh and that Red Sea moment swings both ways; sometimes you're the one standing in the middle when the waves are released.
I shouldn't be saying this because I likely don't know enough about theology to be able to freebase Christianity, but I suspect the religion, aside from the red letter teachings of Christ and his immediate followers is more a product of the Greeks & later the Romans and midievalists interpreting his sayings through the lense of the only system of higher thought they had at the time, creating a conscrecrated reality through pre-Socratic concepts of cosmology and Plato's and Aristotles writings - or in another sense creating what they expected to see from static and noise. A bunch of balderdash from overthinking something rooted in faith & emotions and social justice and family structures which just fails when you apply the rough, crude, harsh rules of logic to them. It's like how the mind is measured first by clockwork, then by valves & steam boilers, and next by 1's and 0's and logic gates and accumulators, we believe the tools and the data and not our perceptions and reactions.I'm sorry, but I can't agree. As with any other religion, people who regard themselves as Christians manage to interpret their religion as meaning any number of different things, and particularly when it comes to social rather than theological issues. I'd say that, so long as someone subscribes to some pretty basic tenets -- Jesus was the Son of God, died on the cross, rose on the third day and ascended into heaven -- they're a Christian of one sort or another, no matter how repulsive their views on other subjects may be or may have been.
I also started with a moka pot, but moved on since then.Even more affordable is my GAT Italian-made stainless steel mokla pot; I own two sizes, baby and granddaddy. I discovered they transfrm reltively cheap local beans into sheer bloody nectar.
You can pry them from my cold dead hands.
Everytime Insee it, my brain says "Mick Cause's". Even though Inknow it's just "Cosmic's"CosMc's is too difficult to pronounce.
Exactly.Speaking as someone who left all religions behind years ago, I see the problem as going beyond just pride and smugness - we have people in my city, in my neighborhood who aren't satisfied with just getting their way politically. They also insist that *I* should be subjected to their beliefs and strictures, no matter how ignorant.
And yes, it's merely a coincidence that my next door neighbor is actually named "Karen".
Let me tell you a simple story: when following discussions over the different religions here on my side of the pond, one argument on which most people did agree immediately is how peaceful buddhism is, and that buddhists never on their own started a war. Ever. Many people considered buddhism as the benchmark religion in terms of peace.You know, Christianity isn't such a bad thing once you get all the smug and pride out of it. It"s people falling for all the clanging gongs, clashing cymbals, and hypocrites loudly proclaiming that is at the root of our problems here, a lack of understanding of the message - sometimes willfully so.
I'd say that Christianity doesn't exist apart from the various conflicting practices and beliefs of the different communities at particular times and places who identify as "Christian." If you think about how Christianity started, you had different apostles and missionaries founding Christian communities in particular places, and members of those communities passed on what their founders had told them, or what they understood of it, modified by what they heard from people from different communities who shared with them what their founders and traditions said, and what copies of letters and manuscripts by various Christian teachers had to say. All this was mediated by the teachings and theoretical concepts of the various Jewish, Greek and Persian intellectual traditions their communities were a part of.I shouldn't be saying this because I likely don't know enough about theology to be able to freebase Christianity, but I suspect the religion, aside from the red letter teachings of Christ and his immediate followers is more a product of the Greeks & later the Romans and midievalists interpreting his sayings through the lense of the only system of higher thought they had at the time, creating a conscrecrated reality through pre-Socratic concepts of cosmology and Plato's and Aristotles writings - or in another sense creating what they expected to see from static and noise. A bunch of balderdash from overthinking something rooted in faith & emotions and social justice and family structures which just fails when you apply the rough, crude, harsh rules of logic to them. It's like how the mind is measured first by clockwork, then by valves & steam boilers, and next by 1's and 0's and logic gates and accumulators, we believe the tools and the data and not our perceptions and reactions.
We can only truly react to spirituality through the unmeasurable parts of what makes us human. Our analytical tools are just too crude to get a compass of it.
But I will say it was an absolute act of genius to root this endevour through love and family, and arrogance to try to analyze and categorize that. This, here, is the lt;dnr of what I'm saying.
OK, I confess. The only reason I replied was so I could use the phrase "freebasing Cristianity"![]()