Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Khamon

Folk Harpist
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
3,170
Location
Alabama
SL Rez
2003
Joined SLU
2007
As a tree sprite, I read title literally, despite the spelling, and view him as a woodland creature living a human life. We do that sometimes. The story makes perfect sense from the perspective of an eternal gump trying to make sense of it all.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,973
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
So guys, Stranger Things season 3.....
 

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,037
So guys, Stranger Things season 3.....
Hmm. I enjoyed it although it was the weakest of the ST seasons so far. I have to say though, I did hate the character that I shall refer to as "the terminator"

Huge spoilers ahead, huge, massive spoilers.
I didn't like that every disagreement seemed to descend into a screaming match. I wasn't keen on Erica I'd hoped for more from her character but she was very hard to like.

Too much of it felt contrived, the detour to Murray seemed out of place it would have worked better if Nancy and Jonathon had gone to him for help with their story. Dustin having to sing for Suzie, that felt like a mad aside given the situation. Hopper became a lot more of a jerk, particularly towards Joyce.

Too many things that should have had consequences were ignored, he slaughter at the hospital with large numbers of randomly dead bystanders should have had a response from the authorities, or when El threw Billy through a wall at the pool, leaving a damn great hole in the wall. Given how much of what has happened in ST has been under the radar of the general townspeople incidents like these felt out of place, they would have attracted attention.

All of the Russian characters were too cartoonish.

For a long time I was convinced this was going to be the Stranger Things Zombie Apocalypse. Right up until all the zombies were sacrificed as material for the flayer's body.

El and Max bonding was close to the high point of the season for me.

It may sound bad but I like that now they are growing up it's creating cracks in their unity, this feels very real.

I liked that El wasn't able to just splatter the enemy this time around

I'm glad that Billy got a moment of redemption and found it in himself to resist the flayer at the end.

Robin was the best new character but I was disappointed that it didnt become a pairing between Robin and Steve. After the journey Steve's character has taken from the massive dick he started as in season 1, through to joining the fight, acting as Dustin's mentor, being dumped by Nancy, taking his stand against the demodogs and the pounding her took from Billy in season 2. I wanted him to find his right romantic partner.

Unanswered questions: what was that green stuff? Who exactly was that coded transmission for?

Missed opportunities: I want to know more about the upside down and its inhabitants, I want to know about the other experimental subjects. We know about El and Kali, what happened to the rest?

Also: Miles of secret underground russian base under hawkins, stealing power from their power grid? Seriously?
 

Myficals

Nein!
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
502
Location
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
4075
So guys, Stranger Things season 3.....
Five episodes in and I'm mostly enjoying it, with one major gripe...

I am not a fan of the giant arsehole Hopper has become this season.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,973
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Hmm. I enjoyed it although it was the weakest of the ST seasons so far. I have to say though, I did hate the character that I shall refer to as "the terminator"

Huge spoilers ahead, huge, massive spoilers.
Too many things that should have had consequences were ignored, he slaughter at the hospital with large numbers of randomly dead bystanders should have had a response from the authorities, or when El threw Billy through a wall at the pool, leaving a damn great hole in the wall. Given how much of what has happened in ST has been under the radar of the general townspeople incidents like these felt out of place, they would have attracted attention.
True, but is this much different from the damage to the school at the end of season 1? We don't ever see that place get cleaned up and repaired but it is of course. I would say there's no reason to think the incidents at the hospital and the pool did not attract a response from the authorities, we just have no reason to directly see it because none of the characters return to those places after leaving them for the rest of the story.
 

Myficals

Nein!
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
502
Location
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
4075
Now that I've finished with Stranger Things 3, some further thoughts...

On Hopper. Given the story arc between him and Joyce and the way he was "killed" off, I'm even more pissed with the writing for his character this season. Since day dot, Hopper's consistently been a bit of a grumpy fuck. For season three however, it really felt like they Flanderised him somewhat and so instead of just an edge of grumpy, it became his overriding character trait. For much of the season, he really was an unlikeable shit and whereas in the past I've wanted him and Joyce to hook up, this time around I was really, really hoping she'd kick his sorry manchild arse to the curb. The ending of the Hawkins part of his story felt half arsed and mawkish in its attempt to make him a bit more reasonable and came off as too little too late.

Tigger had a few issues regarding the suspension of disbelief and the cartoonish nature of the bad guys. The response I'd make to that is that if you look at the media properties that would've inspired those parts of the storyline, Red Dawn, Commando, various and assorted action films, these are big issues there too. Now I'm not going to claim the Duffer brothers are incredible geniuses, deliberately salting their "Red Peril" 1980s action film pastiche with the flaws of the genre. Rather, what I think actually happened is that in their desire to emulate it, they maybe underestimated a modern audience's tolerance for plot holes and characterisations that are these days, somewhat tired and hackneyed. Being true to the intentions of your pastiche is fine, but sometimes you gotta remember that the audience you're speaking to now, isn't the same as the audience back then. See also the minor controversy that's blown up around the depiction of smoking in the show. It's pretty much part of the same issue.

I liked Steve and Robin's arc. It was a nice subversion of the John Waters "geek hooks up with cool kid that s/he's loved from afar" trope. It's also nice to see a boy/girl friendship that doesn't involve shipping potential and it's nice to get some lgbt representation in the Stranger Things universe.

The monster this season was neatly done, pulling in elements from several sources to come up with something pretty creative. Yes, there was a zombie element to parts of it. There was also nods to Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, The Thing and The Stuff in its design. The scene where it called all its minions home to sacrifice themselves was particularly creepy. Stuff like that, where people either willingly or via mind control damage/kill themselves at the behest of a big bad really squicks me out. I also really liked the cgi work on it. It seemed to be rendered at a slightly lower framerate, lending it a little bit of a stop motion feel that had to have been deliberate.

Finally, what the fuck happened to 8 and her crew? Their bit last season really felt like a set up for more interaction down the track. I know they weren't popular with a lot of noisy people on the internet, but I really hope they weren't dropped for the show because nerd rage.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Tigger

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,037
True, but is this much different from the damage to the school at the end of season 1? We don't ever see that place get cleaned up and repaired but it is of course. I would say there's no reason to think the incidents at the hospital and the pool did not attract a response from the authorities, we just have no reason to directly see it because none of the characters return to those places after leaving them for the rest of the story.
True but that was the end of the story. In earlier stories when things happened around the town, for example El smashed the doors of the store where she stole her eggos, other characters at least commented on it to Hopper in his police role.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,669
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Oh boy definitely looks mellowy dramaticky!

 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,669
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Oh, I watched all of Stranger Things season 3 in one go back on Sunday, and all I'll say is...

 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,669
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Furries finally get their movie, kinda...

 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,669
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Amazon's Carnival Row looks like it'll be...um, not sure. Sort of a Victorian Bright.


 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,669
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,454
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
So, dumb theory on "what's going on with CGI".

The closer a CGI character is in shape to a human, the easier and less work it is for MoCap animation.

Like if Genie had a huge mouth and chin and chest like the animated one, that would take more work.

Or if Sonic had freaky long legs and noodle arms, it would take more work.

Basically, cost cutting laziness.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,973
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I don't know why people are criticizing the look of the characters in the CATS preview. That's literally exactly how the characters are supposed to look. Are these people familiar with the old musical at all?

 

Myficals

Nein!
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
502
Location
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
4075
I don't know why people are criticizing the look of the characters in the CATS preview. That's literally exactly how the characters are supposed to look. Are these people familiar with the old musical at all?
Dude, are you blind or just being deliberately contrary?

The criticisms are nothing to do with the intent of the designs and everything to do with the execution. What works as make up and costuming isn't necessarily going to translate when applied as cgi. Especially when that cgi is being employed to ostensibly smooth over the imperfections and make the costuming real. The uncanny valley effect is a thing here.

Also, the reason the characters in the Cats stage show look like they do is because they are fucking people dressed up as cats and not actual fucking cats. The reason this is the case is because getting actual fucking cats to perform a musical on stage might be a tad tricky. Anyway, since it's clear you really have no clue about the original musical, human/cat hybrids isn't what the characters are "supposed to look like." That's the realities of staging a musical production on, well, on a stage being imposed on the vision of Weber and Rice. The characters are really supposed to look like cats because, surprise, surprise, they are cats. Saying the characters in the film should look like the rejects of Dr. Moreau because that's what they're "supposed to look" like is nonsense.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,973
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Anyway, since it's clear you really have no clue about the original musical, human/cat hybrids isn't what the characters are "supposed to look like." That's the realities of staging a musical production on, well, on a stage being imposed on the vision of Weber and Rice.
Well, okay, let me rephrase. Yes I know the characters are "supposed to" BE cats, not human-cat hybrids. But the thing is, and I thought this really went without saying but I guess not, human-cat hybrids is what the characters have to look like, what they must look like - whether the makeup is practical or CG - because cats that are the shape of actual cats can't do the things the characters in the production have to do. And I'm not just talking about the singing and talking. They have to be human-shaped, there's no other way CATS as a production could possibly work.

Weber wrote for the stage specifically, so he had those realities in mind when he created all of their productions. He knew it would be people in cat-costumes when he wrote it.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Erich Templar

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,481
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
But he never cut people's ears off to make them look like cats. The practical costumes concealed the actors' ears with wigs. Seeing a human-shaped head with nothing in the place where ears belong, even (or especially) with cat ears on top violates our expectations in a way that distracts from the desired "cat" effect and jars the viewer into seeing the characters as neither cats nor humans. It is a dramatically different effect than the stage costumes.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,669
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
They are supposed to be cats but some have breasts, yet no nipples. What does that have to do with cats?

They are supposed to be cats but they have hands! What does that have to do with cats?

They are supposed to be cats but some wear clothing, What does that have to do with Cats? I mean, both the animal and the stage show? Here is Bustopher Jones on stage:



And the film:



Why add a top hat?

It's become a weird crossbreed of stage show design, CGI for CGI sake, and cartoony concepts. They would have been better off upgrading the costumes from the stage show and leaving the CGI work to removing zippers and wrinkles in the fabrics.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.