Nobody Cares about TV and Film

danielravennest

SLU Posts
So Atlanta has become a sort of "Hollywood East" due to state tax breaks on entertainment projects. Recently five TV shows that were being made here, but have been cancelled, decided to liquidate their production stuff. I spent Wed-Friday at the Liquidation Sale. It was fun, but exhausting.

They rented an exhibition hall of a closed hotel and turned it into what was essentially a yard sale, but a thousand times larger. By yard sale, I mean stuff laid out haphazardly, with little price stickers. 100,000 square feet of stuff, which is why it took me three days to go through it all. They had everything you needed to produce a show including props, costumes, and production equipment. I took home a bunch of tools, office supplies, a nice pair of rubber boots, and the makings of future Halloween costumes. This sort of liquidation doesn't happen in Hollywood, because they have prop warehouses. Productions rent stuff for the duration they need it, then it goes back to the warehouse.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Apparently I am getting old.or something because I caught a bit of the new Charmed and everyone seems uper young compared to the original Charmed Ones but two of the three actresses are older than the original Charmed actresses were at the time.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
According to ComicBook.com, during a recent Aquaman panel at Celebrity Fan Fest in San Antonio, Texas, someone in the crowd proposed the idea to Momoa. "F---in' tell me where to sign!" Momoa told the audience. "Absolutely. That'd be amazing. I love that movie."

[...]

Momoa went on to say that Dinklage is also "amazing," while the panel's moderator suggested that Twitter start a campaign to make it happen. Hey, stranger things have happened on Twitter.
I could imagine worse team-ups.

• 1Like
Reactions: Veritable Quandry

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So there's this anime show called Evangelion that's hugely popular among anime fans, they've wanted it on Netflix for like ever. Well it's finally on Netflix, which should make fans happy right?

Well, no. Apparently(?) in Japan, the show's opening theme was the old Sinatra song "Fly Me To the Moon". Netflix couldn't secure the rights to the song so they had to use a different theme - kinda like how when they put House MD up, they couldn't get the rights to the song "Teardrop" which was the original theme to that show. It seems this substitution is driving anime fans absolutely out of their minds at Netflix.

• 1Facepalm
Reactions: Govi

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
So there's this anime show called Evangelion that's hugely popular among anime fans, they've wanted it on Netflix for like ever. Well it's finally on Netflix, which should make fans happy right?

Well, no. Apparently(?) in Japan, the show's opening theme was the old Sinatra song "Fly Me To the Moon". Netflix couldn't secure the rights to the song so they had to use a different theme - kinda like how when they put House MD up, they couldn't get the rights to the song "Teardrop" which was the original theme to that show. It seems this substitution is driving anime fans absolutely out of their minds at Netflix.
There's that, but it's also the redubbing incorporating a whole new cast (vs the original English language dub), and a new script for it, as well, which will lead to...differences. I'll be watching it, but I hope my memories of the show vs this new stuff doesn't cause a bout of watchus interruptus.

Why Fans Are Annoyed by NEON GENESIS EVANGELION on Netflix

Last edited:

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I watched the old dub of Eva a lot back when it was new and I have watched like ten epsiodes of the new one and I don't have a problem with the new dub. I thought it would bug me but it's fine.

So far the only thing that feels weird is the way they are referred to as 1st Children and 2nd Children. I wanna say this came up on the old one as "1st Child/2nd Child/etc" being innacurate but it sounds better than Children since they are singular people.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this series honestly. I have really been enjoying it. Also Misato is a bad ass.

On the Fly Me to the Moon problem. It's not just the rights to the song. Every single episode, all 26(?) Had a different version sung by a different person with a different type of music. I have an album of it on MP3 somewhere. So it's not just rights for one song but 26 songs. Who watches the credits on Netflix anyway?

Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Every single episode, all 26(?) Had a different version sung by a different person with a different type of music.
Huh. Kinda like Weeds.

Who watches the credits on Netflix anyway?
One of the awesomest features they added was the skip-intro button tbh.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
One of the awesomest features they added was the skip-intro button tbh.
Yeah, the credits on Eva both opening and closing are ridiculously long too. I like the opening, I like Cruel Angel's Thesis, I don't need to watch it over and over for 2 minutes every episode.

Now that I think about it though, I wanna say my old tapes had these "coming up next" moments after the credits that were sometimes silly. I wonder if they have those on Netflix. Guess I need to check the end of an episode. I checked, they are still there.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
There's that, but it's also the redubbing incorporating a whole new cast (vs the original English language dub), and a new script for it, as well, which will lead to...differences. I'll be watching it, but I hope my memories of the show vs this new stuff doesn't cause a bout of watchus interruptus.

Why Fans Are Annoyed by NEON GENESIS EVANGELION on Netflix
This set of posts seems to imply that article is wrong when it says that Netflix commissioned the redub and the new translation script. According to this, the original Japanese makers of this particular show now micromanage international releases and commission all localization rewrites internally:

Evidently it seems the IP owners would never have licensed Netflix to stream the original English dubs. On this issue Netflix is blameless.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Japanese company selling a cheap knockoff of it's own stuff. Rich irony there.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
FWIW, I've seen it also said that this same company (the one that made the show) does not support a romantic interpretation of those characters' relationship, and that probably also motivated some of the changes.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have not followed them super close, but over years of caring about Evangelion, I have cleaned that Gainax, who created the show, is one of those extremely OCD Control Freak companies. They also do some weird shit with the license.

Stories I have heard about the dubs, for example, in the original, they used the phrase "1st Child, 2nd Child", etc. In the new one they say "1st Children, 2nd Children", etc, which is grammatically awkward, but apparently more closely matches the original Japanese. Apparently the first dub creater had to fight for using "child" over "children" with Gainax.

I have not gotten to the end yet, but apparently a later scene in the new dub also changed love to like, which ultimately kind of lessens the impact of a lot of what follows. But it's proba my another one of those "more close to the Japanese" things.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
As a self proclaimed Ginger Supremacist, I am a little irritated over this change, but not for the reason a lot of people probably are.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I'd have thought say, Zendaya would be a better fit for the role. Halle strikes me as a bit too mature to be playing the ingenue.

Edit: So apparently I'm one of the idiots who've been reading Halle Bailey as Halle Berry. You may now all commence to point and laugh.

Last edited:
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Erich Templar

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Interactive TV from the BBC.

From the intro, I thought it was going to be a drama show in which you make your own choices at key moments in the plot, like an interactive game (that would have been fun with GoT! "You hear the bells ringing and see the gates opening. Do you a) Land your dragon on a roof and breath a sigh of relief that wholesale slaughter has been averted; or b) Go ahead and torch King's Landing anyway. The choice is yours!") but it's basically choose your own (related) news stories and background pieces from a technology show.

Interesting implications, though: