Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,938
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Now every time I watch Trek I'm going to be getting OCD vibes about the walls.
 
  • 1Aww
Reactions: Free

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Now every time I watch Trek I'm going to be getting OCD vibes about the walls.
I read somewhere once that the tubes on the walls are marked with DNGN which stood for "Does Nothing Goes Nowhere" and I think about it every time there are tubes and conduits in Star Trek.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
I just watched the first episode of Deadloch, an Australian murder mystery/dark comedy series on Prime. Anyone watching this?

If you haven’t heard of it, I suggest going into it blind. Almost the entire main cast is made up of women ❤. Some of the characters are way over the top at first, but I read that they tone it down after the second episode. I love the protagonist (senior sergeant) who not only has to deal with this murder(s), but also her annoying wife (girlfriend?) who’s the town veterinarian, and a crew of junior officers, and now an obnoxious detective from the city who’s coming in to take over the case (also a woman). The town mayor is, you guessed it, a woman.

What else… It’s set in a small town in Tasmania, there are aboriginal references, a dead body is found on the shore (not a spoiler), there’s a cute dog, and the accent is a bit thick and they’re talking quickly so you may need subtitles at times to catch every down under expression.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565


Edgar Wright is executive producer on it, and it seems to include the entire original cast as voice actors. Interesting.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Veritable Quandry

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
I am in lesbians with it.
 
  • 1Bacon
Reactions: Free

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308


Edgar Wright is executive producer on it, and it seems to include the entire original cast as voice actors. Interesting.
Live-action adaptations of anime seem universally cursed. I suppose someone is banking on doing the opposite will be work out better?

I'm skeptical. But I'll give it a try anyway. :)
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Live-action adaptations of anime seem universally cursed. I suppose someone is banking on doing the opposite will be work out better?

I'm skeptical. But I'll give it a try anyway. :)
There is soooo much in the books not in the movie and this trailer seems to be leaning on that. The style is spot on as well.

This whole franchaise may be my favorite, the movie and books are great. I think I am a bit biased because as far as I can tell they are all "20 something in a story set in the early 2000s.". Which is me. Or, was me. It just, hits all those nostalgic feels.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Slotherhouse: is a horror film about a killer sloth secretly a masterpiece?
On paper, Slotherhouse (that’s right, it’s a pun on the word “slaughterhouse”, but with sloths) has The Asylum written all over it. It has the potential to be a cheaply made, lowest common denominator Sharknadoalike; a great title and an outrageous premise that, in reality, amounts to a stunt-cast non-actor emoting in a single location for an hour to fill the gap between the three VFX shots you already saw in the trailer. Even if you actively enjoy the idea of watching a sloth murder a bunch of people, Slotherhouse still won’t be something worth raising your expectations for.

Reader, raise your expectations. Slotherhouse is a masterpiece. The film is so good, so funny and so completely well-realised that it has received a stateside theatrical release. There’s no word on a UK release date yet, but it deserves to be seen on the biggest screen available.
 

Arilynn

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
344
I finally saw CODA. I really wanted to see it when it first came out, and I can’t remember why I didn’t. Then I read a lot of grumbling about it, and it fell off my radar. After all this time, I was hopeful, but, wow, did I hate most of it. That it has been embraced by people like those in Deaf West, which I don’t understand unless they change so much of it.

It kills me that the films generally seen as the most D/deaf friendly are CODA and Children of a Lesser God Even the Title is Totally Demeaning. What a sad, bullshit-filled picture does that paint?
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Looks like an interesting return to Godzilla's roots as nuclear holocaust metaphor.

 
  • 1Agree
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: Caete and Ryanna Enfield

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,257
SL Rez
2006
I finally saw CODA. I really wanted to see it when it first came out, and I can’t remember why I didn’t. Then I read a lot of grumbling about it, and it fell off my radar. After all this time, I was hopeful, but, wow, did I hate most of it.
Ah yes, that sweet spot for minorities: someone finally makes a film that acknowledges we exist, but the film is awful.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Arilynn

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
CODA acknowledges that Deaf people exist. Instead of focusing on deaf people can do anything - except hear. It focuses on the terrible "burden" placed on their hearing children.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Did you all see that Danny Masterson was sentenced to 30-life?
It got me thinking a bit.

Could say, his fellow 70s show cast members sue someone for damages? Because it feels like his bad rep may affect anybsort of residuals as people avoid the show.

Same for well, lots of other shows. Like say, Roseanne.