Yay! Nobody Cares about Tickle Me Elmo Musk

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Post lifted from a lolyer elsewhere:

Nah, Elon is lying. There is no regulatory basis for using a decedent model as submission-enabling pre-clinical research - it is essentially basic research that is exceptionally useful in xenotransplantation, where substantial differences in human vs. non-human primate immune response may make a non-human primate model less useful in early discovery. At present, that kind of data cannot be used to enable systematic human clinical investigations. Non-human primate work is still required.

For an investigational device like Neuralink, you need high quality animal model data (most likely non-human primate at some point) to obtain an investigational device exemption and advance to human clinical trials. Using moribund animals is a serious experimental confound. There is no such thing as compassionate use or phase 1b study - where you would study the device in persons with a particular disease state alongside the standard of care - for animals. I would also be very surprised if any IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee that has oversight of animal studies) would sign off on such research. Research animals with terminal illnesses are euthanized. Maintaining research animals that are "terminal" is likely unethical.

So, if this were true (it is not), it would likely either (1) tank the utility, such as it was, of the referenced non-human primate pre-clinical work using the "terminal" animals or (2) get the responsible IACUC and investigators inspected and audited by USDA, because it reads like a violation of the Animal Welfare Act.

This is just another thing he made up.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Terminal moneys?

Also, in my one college psychology class elective, the professor drilled in that "Chimps are not monkeys", because chimps are more closely related to humans than monkeys. Seems like chimpanzees would be a better choice for testing this thing than monkeys.
Humans are one of the great apes. So are chimps. Monkeys are not great apes.

You are correct. However, it's still animal torture, only worse.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, about Musk and others who interfere in international relations on the level of Musk [or Reagan before he became President]; its a federal crime. And of course, aiding and abetting our enemies in a time of war [well, an ally is at war, with someone who is definitely an enemy]..... well, so is that.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
"Then proceeds to compare Taiwan to Hawaii" . . . what? Does Musk not know Hawai'i is one of the 50 USA states? Is Hawai'i a separate country that the USA claims? I'm confused.
The PRC would say that, just as Hawaii is as much part of the USA as are all states in the contiguous USA, so is Taiwan as much part of the PRC as were the Confederate States during the Civil War, even though Taiwan disagrees.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
The PRC would say that, just as Hawaii is as much part of the USA as are all states in the contiguous USA, so is Taiwan as much part of the PRC as were the Confederate States during the Civil War, even though Taiwan disagrees.
Yeah, but it's so random. Picking Hawaii. It'd probably have still been a weak comparison, but picking a non-US State like Puerto Rico, Guam, or the US Virgin Islands might have been better. Or a non-USA State, no-longer-territory, like the Republic of the Marshall Islands (which was a territory, but now is an independent country).

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yeah, but it's so random. Picking Hawaii. It'd probably have still been a weak comparison, but picking a non-US State like Puerto Rico, Guam, or the US Virgin Islands might have been better. Or a non-USA State, no-longer-territory, like the Republic of the Marshall Islands (which was a territory, but now is an independent country).
As far as the PRC is concerned, though, Taiwan has always been part of China. They lost it to Japan in the late C19th, and getting it back was one of the Kuomintang's war aims in WW2.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
As far as the PRC is concerned, though, Taiwan has always been part of China. They lost it to Japan in the late C19th, and getting it back was one of the Kuomintang's war aims in WW2.
hehe, I don't think I'm conveying my thoughts correctly. Yeah, I know about China's view about Taiwan, which is why I'm confused by Musk's randomly picking Hawaii. Hawaii is by no means something seen as always part of USA.

Closest connection between the two would probably involve the native populations of the islands being displaced by foriegn invaders. With Taiwan being taken over by Han Chinese populations around the 1600s (population-wise; government-wise around 1683). Native population has fallen to 2.3%.

Hawaiians make up a larger percentage of today's Hawaii (10.3%). Native Hawaiians were in control more recently (1887 (reduced to figurehead) or 1893).

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Way back in 2015, Tesla CEO Elon Musk would frequently give his engineers an earful after his car company's infamous Autopilot driver assistance tech nearly got him killed during test drives on multiple occasions — though there's a chance its dangerous behavior may have been due to Musk's stubbornness on how the technology should be built.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
"We're trying to have those conversations with Elon to establish what the sensors would need to do," Baglino added. "And they were really difficult conversations, because he kept coming back to the fact that people have just two eyes and they can drive the car."
That is the stupidest logic....

Hell the extra computer power alone to do everything optical only is probably way more than whatever cost adding real LIDAR would add

• 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi