How COVID-19 is affecting society

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
1,616
Location
North of Surf City
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
27.05.2009
SLU Posts
5294
In not completely unexpected news, the whole alt-right carnival seems to have rolled into town on this bandwagon

Just to get it out of my soul, I wrote down some very nasty thoughts about these demonstrators. The thoughts are gone once written and deleted, but just the same... No wonder they voted for Trump; they are cut from the same cheap cloth.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
If this is true, it's bloody strange that the Czech republic had its first confirmed case a couple of days after the UK and yet we have more than 14K dead now and the Czech republic? They have 177. As far as I can see the only difference between the Czech republic and the UK is that everyone wears a mask. Not hospital-grade clinical masks, but home made cloth masks.

If there are things I don't know about the low level of deaths in the Czech republic, please enlighten me, but as far as I am aware, the UK is doing all the same things except for the wearing of masks. Why in hell WHO hasn't advised the wearing of masks, I can't imagine.
Czechia has done 25 tests per confirmed case. UK has done 4. So they are more able to trace contacts of people and make sure they stay isolated/get checked regularly/etc. Their population is 10.65 million vs 67.9 million for the UK, so totals need to be adjusted for population size. UK density is 271/km^2 vs 134 for Czechia. Their largest city, Prague is 2.3 million metro vs 9.79 million for Greater London. London has a density of 5,631/km^2, while Prague has about 4,600, so not much different. Not sure what would account for the difference in deaths.
 
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Archer and Beebo Brink

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
This is horrifying. Totally ok if 2-3% of school kids die in Dr. Oz's estimation (that's over 1.5 million children)


Most beautiful sacrifice of a blue check I've ever seen...
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I remember when all of this started they said we would still be allowed to go out doors, go for walks, go hiking, etc, and now it's like - you're walking your dog with your husband? How dare you?
The problem is everyone is doing it ... in the same places ... all at once .... and some people make no attempt at social distancing.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
I remember when all of this started they said we would still be allowed to go out doors, go for walks, go hiking, etc, and now it's like - you're walking your dog with your husband? How dare you?
Yeah, they are changing things too fast. I mean, you guys know I'm a big mask advocate, but requiring masks, when a week or two before they were actively discouraging their use is insane. If the government wants to require masks, they should issue us some masks.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to my next trip to the pharmacy. Back when everybody was saying masks do nothing, I went there to pick up some medication for my elderly mother. The pharmacist gave me shit about wearing a mask and gloves. I told him it reduces viral load. He said I might as well take vitamin C and garlic, which is a scientifically literate way to tell me to fuck off. I wasn't going to go back to that pharmacy, but now that that pharmacist has to wear a mask, I'm looking forward to seeing him. I want to ask him how well his vitamin C and garlic is working, LOL
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410

Funny you should share this. Earlier I shared the news about someone instigating social unrest and pointed out just how much it reminded me of the Brown Shirts - but there is a difference. When the problem is economic, then sure, let's start some rallies and throw over the apple cart. When the problem is a freaking pandemic? You're more likely to -lose- your brown shirts.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,706
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
My biggest fear is that this will follow a similar trajectory as the 1918 flu epidemic whereby they were hit in the spring, it eased up in the summer, then hit hard and very hard in the fall/winter. They falsely felt that the worst was behind them.

I'm going to minimize public places as much as possible for some time to come.
I'm desperately hoping there's an effective vaccine readily available before that second wave hits.
 

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
Joined
Sep 22, 2018
Messages
892
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
2999
Lots of streamers and youtubers starting up out of idle time. Also, teachers going online. And, of course, work-from-home Zoom meetings. Not too long ago I bought a capture card and webcam. I haven't done anything with them. I paid $50 for a Logitech C920S. They are selling for $150 on ebay atm. An Elgato HD60 Pro hasn't appreciated nearly as much. Still available on Amazon.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Lots of streamers and youtubers starting up out of idle time. Also, teachers going online. And, of course, work-from-home Zoom meetings. Not too long ago I bought a capture card and webcam. I haven't done anything with them. I paid $50 for a Logitech C920S. They are selling for $150 on ebay atm. An Elgato HD60 Pro hasn't appreciated nearly as much. Still available on Amazon.
Jeepers. Here's the Amazon historical price graph for the c920s. Click the checkbox for 3rd party used.

Logitech C920S HD Pro Webcam with Privacy Shutter - Widescreen Video Calling and Recording, 1080p Streaming Camera, Desktop or Laptop Webcam (B07K95WFWM)
 
  • 1OMG!
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
Maybe that explains why the late night talk show hosts are on crappy consumer grade web cams and cell phones.

I think Colbert and John Oliver are the main exceptions. They have decent home studio setups. Oliver even has a green screen. Other than them... when I flip around the late night Jimmies, their home web cams are horrible. I always assumed that anybody who is successful in show business would have a decent camera. They get paid how much money to perform for cameras and they aren't shutter bugs at all? The camera is like their instrument. Them not owning a good camera is like Hendrix not owning any guitars or something. These late night hosts don't have one decent DSLR or even mirrorless camera that can shoot above 480? I think Fallon is shooting with his iPhone. For the money he spent on the iPhone, he could have gotten a good camera, a decent audio interface, an SM59 mic, and had money left over for accessories.

Also, somebody really needs to explain sample rate to these Hollywood 'elites'. Hugh Jackman was on Fallon earlier tonight, and he tried singing. I know the guy can sing well without autotune, but with crap audio sample rates, it sounded terrible. Also, Fallon tried tap dancing, and at the frame rates he's working with, on top of the audio sample rate issues, it was a total disaster. The equipment they are using is good for conversations, but that's it. They should know better than to try fancy performances like that on them.

Yeah, I know, they are doing the best they can with what they have. I'm just always surprised when top media professionals don't know how 'new media' works.
 
  • 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Essence Lumin and Tracer