How COVID-19 is affecting society

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
Trump is lower than a snake full of buck shot. He just aired a campaign video during the latest briefing.

Still not one word of sympathy to the sick, dying, or families of the dead. Fucker.
:qft: Even an amoeba would have more empathy than Trump does.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
I just saw another article complaining about the teenagers on spring break. That's just dumb. Those teenagers were doing the responsible thing.

If you are in a low risk population, like the average teenager is, your goal should be to get corona as fast as possible, so you can develop antibodies, because as you get older, your risk goes up. Doing it on spring break is a great idea, because that limits your exposure to your parents and older relatives, who are probably much higher risk than you. When you return to your home town, you have antibodies, so you can take an essential job and maybe even support your family if they are a rough time financially. Also, super high risk grannies wouldn't have to be working cash registers so much.

In fact, I think that if we wanted to build herd immunity fast, the best place to start would be for the government to sponsor a 3 week long spring break, and lower the drinking and marijuana age to 16 for those 3 weeks. Let them go nuts, tell them to all get infected and recover before sending them home to work essential jobs, with extra disaster pay. Beef up hospitals in the area for the few who might have complications, of course, but generally, let them have a blast.

They would probably wear masks and wash their hands constantly just to be rebellious, but it's worth a try.
When I was a kid, they used to say the same thing about chickenpox - namely, that we needed to get it as early as possible in order to get it over with and develop that lifetime immunity. Of course, now they're realizing that people who had chickenpox in their younger years are at risk of developing shingles in their later years.

We don't know what the long-term consequences are of COVID-19 infection. This seems, in that light, a very foolish and irresponsible proposal.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I have to acknowledge my own ambivalence about this trade-off, despite the personal cost of any other "solution". Perhaps there is no good answer, no Door #3 that somehow gets us out of this without body blows to society.

In a brutal way, past pandemics were more straightforward -- everyone died at home. There wasn't a medical infrastructure to protect, so the survivors buried their dead and moved on. There wasn't any expectation that your old frail grandparents or your cripplied sister would survive; compromised people died young.
This article analyses the issue in some detail, suggesting it's not simply left-right or lives vs economy issue, and certainly shouldn't be reduced to "restart the economy asap" vs "as long as it takes."


As so often, I think it's helpful to break down the issue into specific problems faced by particular groups of people as a result of the emergency, and to try think of ways of remedying those specific issues for people in that particular position, rather than to look for grand, simple solutions.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I'm getting a lot fewer robocalls nowadays. Anyone else? You'd think the pandemic wouldn't affect robocalling since the actual humans taking any calls could probably work from home. 🤔
India's busted a number of scam call centers lately.
 

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
3,347
Location
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
10461
I'm getting a lot fewer robocalls nowadays. Anyone else? You'd think the pandemic wouldn't affect robocalling since the actual humans taking any calls could probably work from home. 🤔
I noticed it too.

I figured that Sternly Worded Report the FCC issued to no fanfare whatsoever back in February did the trick. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened, I'm glad they've slacked off.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
As I understand Christian doctrine, the first two panels are consistent with Christianity.


The third panel smells of straw. Death is a blessing in Evangelical settings for “The Lord is calling me home.”

The final panel is Islamic:


A more pithy version:
I believe it is also Judaic, and more traditional Christian [and Catholic]. Hence the joke about praying to God to win the lottery [repeatedly], then complaining and having God say 'You need to buy the lottery ticket'...

Basically, don't be lazy and expect God to work extra hours because you can't be arsed to do what you can for yourself.
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
Yeah, they had us all sign a wah agreement. Which was silly because we did not have a choice. Anyway a lot of thought went into security. I obviously can not prevent it if my spouse uses my computer when I am not home though (it also produces awkwardness if her laptop breaks). Most things require 2 factor authentication though so there is less of a problem.
There is so much security on my work laptop that there have been days, and this isn't a joke, that I couldn't log-in with the correct security stuff in place. It was never a full day, more like 10 to 50 minutes. Layers upon layers. Like certain shared drives only allow access to certain people (since day 1, there have been drives I should have access to but do not - I haven't fought hard to regain access as I do not really need access except for 5 to 10% of a work week), and the software we use requires its own security login stuff.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
My little local bank attempts good security but fails. They won't allow cut and paste into the password field on their app so I have to resort to using an easy to type password rather than something randomly generated by lastpass.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Trump is lower than a snake full of buck shot. He just aired a campaign video during the latest briefing.

Still not one word of sympathy to the sick, dying, or families of the dead. Fucker.
If it is any consolation he admitted to a room full of reporters the wh produced that video. Anyone would describe it as a campaign video. Basically, he is on record as breaking the law.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I'm getting a lot fewer robocalls nowadays. Anyone else? You'd think the pandemic wouldn't affect robocalling since the actual humans taking any calls could probably work from home. 🤔
I am getting a lot more actually. The strange thing is they are almost always coming on my work line ... where I never got them before.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565