How COVID-19 is affecting society

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Looks like a governor defied His Majesty, the Total Authority Who Accepts No Responsibility.

“Lock her up.”
Grr!
I was telling my spouse about something when I was working it in a hospital years ago. Everyone above me was going to a conference and I had no problem accepting responsibility for the dept while they were out. Then someone asked if she got into an argument with a coworker [she would] I would I have the authority over it. I blanched and told my boss I did not want blanket authority. Of course I would need some to be responsible of course but bickering that could wait for Monday could wait for Monday.

My point is be VERY afraid of anyone who lusts after authority but runs away from responsibility. If they got the authority through being responsible for something that is completely different.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I am still trying to figure out what people want governors and mayors, who issued the orders, to actually do. If a business decides it is just happy staying closed what are they supposed to do, hold guns to the heads of their ceos or something?
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

It's perhaps not too great a surprise to learn this is in Florida.

“We’ve seen many lawyers in casual shirts and blouses, with no concern for ill-grooming, in bedrooms with the master bed in the background etc.”


In some cases, lawyers have given a new meaning to the term “legal briefs” by showing up without clothes or even in their swimsuits. “One male lawyer appeared shirtless and one female attorney appeared still in bed, still under the covers,” revealed the judge, who wears his formal black robes for video conferencing.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289

It's perhaps not too great a surprise to learn this is in Florida.
As Trevor Noah pointed out yesterday, it is silly to pretend things are normal right now. Those of us working from home have our entire families there, nonoptimal working conditions [some of my jr colleagues do not even have a desk], a long cleaning process whenever we get lunch delivery, and general concern about the state of the world. In these conditions you can maintain things for a few days but eventually you need an escape valve.

I am more worried about the people who went directly from all office to all home work without missing a beat.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
As Trevor Noah pointed out yesterday, it is silly to pretend things are normal right now. Those of us working from home have our entire families there, nonoptimal working conditions [some of my jr colleagues do not even have a desk], a long cleaning process whenever we get lunch delivery, and general concern about the state of the world. In these conditions you can maintain things for a few days but eventually you need an escape valve.

I am more worried about the people who went directly from all office to all home work without missing a beat.
Yes, but are you, Trevor Noah, or any of your junior colleagues involved in formal court hearings, at which your clients will likely be present, to discuss matters which may have life-changing consequences for the clients?
 
Last edited:

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
I'm surprised lawyers are even still working. I've been involved in a thing and haven't heard diddly squat since before the lockdown started.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I'm surprised lawyers are even still working. I've been involved in a thing and haven't heard diddly squat since before the lockdown started.
You can't close down the whole court system -- people are still being charged with crimes, applying for bail, waiting for divorces to be made absolute and for the outcome of custody hearings and so on.

The UK courts service is publishing daily updates on what's happening over here -- there are no jury trials happening, but there's a lot of work still being done remotely, and some in court buildings that remain open to the public.

 

Archer

Not a Robot
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
710
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2007
What Will Post-Lockdown Look Like?

I have followed Julliette for awhile now, and find her views pretty straightforward. This is an interesting look into how she thinks society will adapt over the next months and years.

The simplistic idea of “opening up” fails to acknowledge that individual Americans’ risk-and-reward calculus may have shifted dramatically in the past few weeks. Yes, I’d like to go meet some girlfriends for drinks. But I am also a mother with responsibilities to three kids, so is a Moscow mule worth it? The answer will depend on so many factors between my home and sitting at the bar, and none of them will be weighed casually.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
What Will Post-Lockdown Look Like?

I have followed Julliette for awhile now, and find her views pretty straightforward. This is an interesting look into how she thinks society will adapt over the next months and years.
I saw a poll that 81% of us would like to just keep closed for now, thanks.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Yes, but are you, Trevor Noah, or any of your junior colleagues involved in formal court hearings, at which your clients will likely be present, to discuss matters which may have life-changing consequences for the clients?
It depends who you talk to. My boss and VP know it is not life or death stuff. You would not get that impression from the various people we work with though.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I'm surprised lawyers are even still working. I've been involved in a thing and haven't heard diddly squat since before the lockdown started.
Yeah, I was supposed to be on grand jury duty that ended march 13 but my doctor decided it would be a bad idea. I feel really bad for the people who need to head down there during all this.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I saw a poll that 81% of us would like to just keep closed for now, thanks.
When you get donnie and other politicos talking about opening I just boggle. I can not picture any scenario where we even partially open before July. Then we will be nowhere close to normal until there is a vaccine and even then it will not be exactly the same as before.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
What Will Post-Lockdown Look Like?

I have followed Julliette for awhile now, and find her views pretty straightforward. This is an interesting look into how she thinks society will adapt over the next months and years.
I find the level of misunderstanding (on the reasons for social distancing) is still high, even after all these weeks of available information.

Our attitudes and outlooks may change in disappointing ways. We will be home a lot more. We’ll also use shaming, against friends and others whom we judge to be taking needless risks, to cultivate better voluntary behavior.
In the comments under the tweet/photo of MAGA people protesting, as an example, most were expressing how they would get what they deserve (Darwin award, etc.) In any case, yes, the shaming can get out of hand, and it can comme from those still not fully informed.

I understand it comes from fear, and also from lack of leadership depending where you’re from, but I hope it will eventually level.

When we do start to “de-isolate”, it will have to be slowly and with lots of explanation because when humans are in fear mode, have been told for so long to be fearful (with good reason of course) it isn’t easy to switch back your brain into believing it isn’t as dangerous anymore.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
It depends who you talk to. My boss and VP know it is not life or death stuff. You would not get that impression from the various people we work with though.
And in this instance, HHJ Bailey was talking to lawyers appearing in his virtual court for remote hearings which, while perhaps not life and death stuff, do frequently concern matters that the various parties concerned in the disputes consider pretty important -- their liberty, their family, their property and so on.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

I would question of the wisdom of the sub editor who let "The House of Commons Commission said ministers will be quizzed via Zoom for the first time in the House's 700-year history" through, since it's hardly surprising that debates on the Reform Bill, the Corn Laws, Votes for Women or anything else debated before 2011, the year the company was founded, were not conducted via Zoom, but the measures outlined in the article are an encouraging start.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Here in NL most MP's vote along with the party line. They don't have to worry to profile themselves towards their constituency because they don't have one.
Here a picture from our parliament, debating during the corona crisis.
Every party has only their party leader (or their specialized MP on the matter that is debated) in the debate. The rest follows the debates at their office or at home (tv channel).