How COVID-19 is affecting society

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,256
SL Rez
2006
The main problem for me was I did not see how the joke was really that funny. That made the hoorah around it quite obscure. Your condescending remarks have not helped either.
If you read my comments as condescending, that was not my intent. I was trying to bring clarity to the discussion. By the same token, I've tried not to react to your tone even though it comes across as arrogant, brusque and dismissive; I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that this too, was unintentional on your part.

I do have a flat affect. In contrast to your appraisal, I'd suggest it means: though I generally understand your nuances perfectly well, my responses may not show it in ways you understand.
If you understand the nuances, then apparently your responses to them are deliberately judgmental and priggish. Thank you for providing the appropriate context with which to understand your contributions to our discussions. I'll keep that in mind moving forward.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

The devastating effects of Covid-19 and its economic consequences on some of Britain's poorer areas. I assume there's a similar situation, if not worse, in many parts of the US and elsewhere.
Indigenous satirist has a take on how it's going:

 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133

"I don't know what keeps me going, I don't know how I haven't broken down," he said. "My nurses have broken down. My nurses cry in the middle of the day because they get so sad, sometimes for situations like this. Just seeing a patient that's crying because he wants to see his family."
Varon said he was frustrated by people not doing the right thing as coronavirus patients continue to fill his hospital beds.
"I do this day in and day out and people are out there doing the wrong thing. People are out there in bars, restaurants, malls -- it is crazy -- it's like we work, work, work, work, work and people don't listen and then they end up in my ICU," he said.

"What people need to know is that -- I don't want to have to be hugging them. They need to do the basic things: keep your social distance; wear your mask; wash your hands and avoid going to places where there are a lot of people. Very simple. If people can do that health care workers like me will be able to -- hopefully rest."
 
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Hardly surprising, but a striking illustration of the different impacts of Covid-19 on neighbouring districts, based on ethnicity and economic deprivation

 

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
If you read my comments as condescending, that was not my intent.
Your comments were very condescending. It should be obvious.

By the same token, I've tried not to react to your tone even though it comes across as arrogant, brusque and dismissive; I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that this too, was unintentional on your part.
Maybe we are two peas in a pod.

If you understand the nuances, then apparently your responses to them are deliberately judgmental and priggish.
I tried to hold off on being overtly judgmental, but the condescension of your previous post provoked me. Of course, that post was not as judgmental/condescending as your next.

Thank you for providing the appropriate context with which to understand your contributions to our discussions. I'll keep that in mind moving forward.
But you don't understand the context because you don't realize how condescending you were. This particular remark is also condescending.

Sigh.

ETA: flat affect
 
Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Title of the entry says it all:
Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. more vaccine doses.

Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. government additional doses of its Covid-19 vaccine, according to people familiar with the matter. Now Pfizer may not be able to provide more of its vaccine to the United States until next June because of its commitments to other countries, they said.

As the administration scrambles to try to purchase more doses of the vaccine, President Trump plans on Tuesday to sign an executive order “to ensure that United States government prioritizes getting the vaccine to American citizens before sending it to other nations,” according to a draft statement and a White House official, though it was not immediately clear what force the president’s executive order would carry.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Eight months ago, Deborah Birx of the White House Coronavirus Task Force praised Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard as an example of “the kind of knowledge and power we need to put into the hands of the American people.” That dashboard was built by Rebekah Jones.

But in May, Jones was fired by the Florida Department of Health for reportedly refusing to manipulate that data to justify reopening the state — and now, Florida state police have raided her home and taken the equipment she was using to maintain a new, independent COVID-19 tracker of her own.
Where are all the freedom loving Repubs on this?
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
A former Alabama state senator died of Covid-19 last week at age 78, officials said.

The former senator, Larry Dixon, a Republican who was also a former executive director of the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners, died Friday, the board said in a statement.

Dr. David Thrasher, a pulmonologist in Montgomery who was a close friend of Dixon's, said Dixon's wife, Gaynell Dixon, told him that her husband's last words to her were a prescient warning to the people of Alabama.

"We messed up. We let our guard down," Dixon said, according to Thrasher. "Please tell everybody to be careful. This is real, and if you get diagnosed, get help immediately."
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi