How COVID-19 is affecting society

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
430
Location
Edge of the Earth
SL Rez
2009
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
6577
As long as we're doubling down on our collective pedantry, I would have cast the sentence like this:

"Today, both the wife and the eldest daughter of a former local politician..."
Well, fortunately, I get to recast that sentence myself as accuracy in local "reporting" is not exactly FB's forte, and I should have verified it elsewhere first.

"Today, the wife of a former local politician died in hospital. He and his daughter continue to be under care in an ICU."
 

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
Odd. Beebo laughs at some comments [about incest] but finds others gross. I think they are all gross.

ETA: Not trying to single out Beebo, but she helpfully tagged my post. I'm sure lots of people found the study of reported sibling incest among New England students gross.
 
Last edited:

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
Was reading Increasing Vaccination: Putting Psychological Science Into Action and came across this (obvious) comment.
It is important to distinguish between citizen activism and vaccination behavior, a distinction media coverage often misses. Refusing vaccines does not make one an antivaccination activist. Furthermore, the small numbers of activists mean that their own vaccination choices have minimal direct impact on vaccination coverage overall. Rather, they can influence the behavior of poli-cymakers, social networks, and individuals through messages and activism.
What interests me about this statement is that the same could be said of Trump voters and Trump activists and more generally. People often do not make these kinds of distinctions. For instance, "All BLM protestors are Antifa." No, some people are just protesting and fewer people are Antifa activists.

Some media are better than others at making these distinctions at least, but it seems common for news media to simplify their stories and make them more dramatic by not making these distinctions. Also, it seems plausible that activists, across the whole spectrum, would not make the distinction in order to give themselves more credibility. I could also see the media and activists reinforcing this obfuscation among themselves when the media interview activists for their stories, each for their own reasons.

ETA: Just seems naked without an ETA.
 
Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,256
SL Rez
2006
Odd. Beebo laughs at some comments [about incest] but finds others gross. I think they are all gross.

ETA: Not trying to single out Beebo, but she helpfully tagged my post. I'm sure lots of people found the study of reported sibling incest among New England students gross.
Thank you for the clarification, Sov, that really helps me to understand more about your posting. And my apology for getting my feathers all ruffled, when that was not your intent.

There's a nuance between these two incidents that I think confuses you. Based on your postings, my impression is that you are more comfortable with direct, literal interpretations and can be thrown a bit off balance when posts are more dependent on shades of gray and tone.

Your post about stats on incest was very straightforward, so there really wasn't any scope for laughter, by anyone. Kamilah's post, in contrast, was poking fun at a stereotype of Southerners; the focus of the joke was that stereotype, not the incest. As a resident of West Virginia, where this stereotype is rather strongly associated, I laughed out of recognition of the joke.

The reason we all knew the laughter was inappropriate was the death of the wife and daughter. That is certainly no laughing matter, but the stereotype joke overcame our sense of common decency, and some of us laughed anyway. We weren't laughing at the incest either, which -- like the death of the women -- is not a laughing matter.

Make sense now?
 
  • 1* Popcorn *
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
How many of these news stories is this? Like 5 million now?

As California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered restrictions aimed at curbing a surge of Covid-19 cases, Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones declined to enforce them.

Jones resisted enforcing the statewide mask order issued in June. And he pushed back on the governor-ordered curfew aimed at curbing nonessential gatherings last month.
On Wednesday, Jones' office announced that he had tested positive for the virus.
 

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
Thank you for the clarification, Sov, that really helps me to understand more about your posting. And my apology for getting my feathers all ruffled, when that was not your intent.

There's a nuance between these two incidents that I think confuses you. Based on your postings, my impression is that you are more comfortable with direct, literal interpretations and can be thrown a bit off balance when posts are more dependent on shades of gray and tone.

Your post about stats on incest was very straightforward, so there really wasn't any scope for laughter, by anyone. Kamilah's post, in contrast, was poking fun at a stereotype of Southerners; the focus of the joke was that stereotype, not the incest. As a resident of West Virginia, where this stereotype is rather strongly associated, I laughed out of recognition of the joke.

The reason we all knew the laughter was inappropriate was the death of the wife and daughter. That is certainly no laughing matter, but the stereotype joke overcame our sense of common decency, and some of us laughed anyway. We weren't laughing at the incest either, which -- like the death of the women -- is not a laughing matter.

Make sense now?
Joking about stereoptypes like that is commonly considered simple bigotry, but all of you know that. Right?

The irony of the situation is heavy. It's like people on progressive YouTube channels talking with bad Southern accents to mock political figures. What would happen if they tried using a Black accent in a similar way? I imagine all hell would break loose, figuratively speaking, but they know that. I don't think even people on FOX would dare do that.

I put up a post about incest in New England. You gave me a response, an acknowledgment that the topic is gross. I'm happier with that at least.
 
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Joking about stereoptypes like that is commonly considered simple bigotry, but all of you know that. Right?
People from Indiana hate bigotry of all kinds. Unless it deals with Ohio.

I have a very intolerant view of people who view me as a perversion or "against God." As an atheist, I have a certain intolerance for the religious.

"Simple bigotry" is something I don't tend to have problems with. Especially if it's funny.
 

Aeon Jiminy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2018
Messages
489
Joking about stereoptypes like that is commonly considered simple bigotry, but all of you know that. Right?

The irony of the situation is heavy. It's like people on progressive YouTube channels talking with bad Southern accents to mock political figures. What would happen if they tried using a Black accent in a similar way? I imagine all hell would break loose, figuratively speaking, but they know that. I don't think even people on FOX would dare do that.

I put up a post about incest in New England. You gave me a response, an acknowledgment that the topic is gross. I'm happier with that at least.
Although these forums have become pretty homogenized over time, it still might be a good idea for you to indicate the desired response you need when introducing a new topic. No laughter- comply, or Laugh- I need to feel hurt and virtue signal.