How COVID-19 is affecting society

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Whoa, shake up in the Amazon shack.

A high-ranking engineer at Amazon has resigned in protest of the company’s treatment of warehouse workers.

Tim Bray, a VP and distinguished engineer at AWS, said in a public blog post titled “Bye, Amazon” that he could no longer stand to work at a “chickens–t” company that fires dissenters in an effort “designed to create a climate of fear.”

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Tried to visit the walmart website and was forwarded to google. Anyone else?
My Thunderbird email client wasn't able to log in to gmail for several hours this morning, and when I checked gmail status there were hundreds of reports. Sounds like something got messed up in a back room somewhere.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Anya Ristow and Govi

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It is certainly not time yet, but if this were to continue for a year, people would have to go out regardless. The economy would fall apart and people have to eat.
I understand this and had people just quietly started pushing to reopen on the premises that they can't live otherwise, I would say nothing.

What really fries me are the MAGAs who are protesting. Those protests are organized specifically by the republican and other right wing parties. They don't give a shit about really returning to work, they just want to make a point and they fully KNOW that it's at the expense of others.

Lots of people here have quietly reopened their business or even have been carrying on their businesses but have been wearing masks and have been careful and shown consideration for others.

The rabid badger protesters - they don't want to wear a mask either. What they truly want is for all the "old, weak, sick, (any color other than white) and poor people" to die. They have wanted it for a long time. Despite how hard they have tried through deprivation of medicine, food and shelter, it's just not killing them off fast enough. I'm not sure why they think this is an advantage to them? Maybe they are just cruel at the very core of their being. It sure seems so.

All I can hope for is that some of them die right along with the others that they kill through their casual cruelty. I also hope to see them and their kids out in the fields picking fruit and vegetables and working in meat packing plants because of the "unintended consequences" they have created with their rabid hatred and racism.

I just have no tolerance for people who do things like block hospital ambulance and deliberately endanger lives to make their stupid point. None.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
My Thunderbird email client wasn't able to log in to gmail for several hours this morning, and when I checked gmail status there were hundreds of reports. Sounds like something got messed up in a back room somewhere.
I had that. Switching the password from plain text to Oauth2 in Thunderbird got around it.

Last edited:

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
If anyone has any references to explain, in a rigorous, non-dismissive way, why some people who should know better are so resistant to the idea of wearing a mask, I'd like to see it. I know some people whose line or work leads me to believe they are capable of understanding the purpose of the thing, but they seem irritated by the very thought of it.
They either don't work or are uncomfortable - it's sadly as simply as that. As I said earlier humas are gamblers by nature. There is an achievable immediate gain in comfort from refusing the masks weighed off by a possibility of potential loss in the future. Most cases are benign and silent so they place their bets on that outcome. Basically they are playing the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment with a raised ante.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
They either don't work or are uncomfortable - it's sadly as simply as that. As I said earlier humas are gamblers by nature. There is an achievable immediate gain in comfort from refusing the masks weighed off by a possibility of potential loss in the future. Most cases are benign and silent so they place their bets on that outcome. Basically they are playing the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment with a raised ante.
The kind of mask people wear to the store doesn't help them. They help other people.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Not wearing a mask TRIGGR TEH LIBRULS and/or FITE LIBRAL NANY STAET OPRESSUN. There's literally no actual logic behind it.

I'd rather wear one, not only for saftey of myself and others, apparently it offends conservatives to no end. That's a definite bonus :D
I am arguing with some people who do not want to wear masks right now. Demographically they are not conservatives but do seem entitled types.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Once the meat packers die or refuse to risk their mostly minority lives, meat plants will either close or scale back production so workers can have safe work conditions, which means high prices, probably permanently. Fine, we eat too much meat anyway. I was vegetarian for years, I know how to do that.

What I don’t buy is the “new normal” that involves upsurges in deaths. The GOAL is to save lives!

Wtf is wrong with people.