How COVID-19 is affecting society

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
If anyone has any references to explain, in a rigorous, non-dismissive way, why some people who should know better are so resistant to the idea of wearing a mask, I'd like to see it. I know some people whose line or work leads me to believe they are capable of understanding the purpose of the thing, but they seem irritated by the very thought of it.

As an example, I know someone of a technical bent, who has in fact invented technical gear and been employed by famous people, who is now a Trumper and refuses to wear a mask. In response to one of his videos I made what I thought was a super brief, non-condescending summary of the reason you wear a mask, and suggested he'd get better cooperation from people he approached if he wore one. He answered only a few of the hundreds of comments to his video, including mine, to say, very tersely, that he wasn't going to do that.
Not wearing a mask TRIGGR TEH LIBRULS and/or FITE LIBRAL NANY STAET OPRESSUN. There's literally no actual logic behind it.

I'd rather wear one, not only for saftey of myself and others, apparently it offends conservatives to no end. That's a definite bonus :D

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
we have sensory issues & having anything on our face / covering our mouth or nose can be triggering. we feel bad for not waring a mask but we just can't cope with it. so we dont go out unless we have to & when we have to we do our best to maintain the 2m distancing stuff. they havent made masks mandatory here yet. so far we see abt half the people outside wearing them, half not.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
If anyone has any references to explain, in a rigorous, non-dismissive way, why some people who should know better are so resistant to the idea of wearing a mask, I'd like to see it. I know some people whose line or work leads me to believe they are capable of understanding the purpose of the thing, but they seem irritated by the very thought of it.

As an example, I know someone of a technical bent, who has in fact invented technical gear and been employed by famous people, who is now a Trumper and refuses to wear a mask. In response to one of his videos I made what I thought was a super brief, non-condescending summary of the reason you wear a mask, and suggested he'd get better cooperation from people he approached if he wore one. He answered only a few of the hundreds of comments to his video, including mine, to say, very tersely, that he wasn't going to do that.
This Daily Beast article explores some of the thinking behind it -- for many people it seems to be a visible and symbolic rejection of what the protestors see as unnecessary and repressive lock-down restrictions.

One of them compares the gesture with 1960s feminists burning their bras as symbols of patriarchal repression.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I got scammed on toilet paper last month. I knew the tracking number was hinky, soI checked the seller page, and lo and behold, reviews saying it was a scam and future with the exact same tracking number as me. It took me a few tries to convince Amazon that there was no point in waiting til the supposed arrival date but eventually they gave me my refund.
At one point the rep said avoid 3rd party seller buy it from Amazon. I said fine, you got any Scott toilet paper for me? (Eventually they did and I caught it at the right time).
Alcohol wipes I was lucky enough to score a couple of boxes early on, thank the universe.
I had a aubscribe-and-save item for tp, set up in December for every two months. As of now, the order which was to ship at the end of April still shows as being out of stock, with no signs of renewal being something they're going to be able to accomplish. It's been showing as such since early March. I would have thought that if you had the subscription you'd get it fulfilled first before allowing it to sell out but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is a major brand, Cottonelle, so they surely must still be fulfilling their product fulfillment with Amazon, I would think, unless they're instead fulfilling it at retail locations first.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
This Daily Beast article explores some of the thinking behind it -- for many people it seems to be a visible and symbolic rejection of what the protestors see as unnecessary and repressive lock-down restrictions.

One of them compares the gesture with 1960s feminists burning their bras as symbols of patriarchal repression.

These people demanding the "right" to infect the population at large, comparing themselves to Rosa Parks, feminists and others all as they wave their holocaust death camp slogan and demanding armed entry into public spaces is just too much for me. They are a goddamn menace and a hazard to all of us.

But, sigh, they've got the money bankrolling their anti-social activities and I expect they will, especially with the monster at the helm in the white house, get their way.

Archer

Who knew?
SL Rez
Joined SLU
In the case of these people who refuse to wear masks "on principle", it is just plain stubbornness, and basically "don't tell me what to do" kind of mentality. The same attitude cropped up when seat belt and mandatory helmet laws were enacted. They scream and holler, but if it becomes law, then they really have no choice but to comply.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Considering that before this I didn't like going out except for Cons with fellow geeks and concerts with fellow music geeks, and even then, being too close caused me issues, even before all this?

Yeah, it will be a while before I can manage.
I have to do a double take when people want to open up now, especially getting completely back to normal. Shy of everyone having a reliable vaccine shot I would estimate mostly normal is a year off. Even after a widely available vaccine the definition of normal has changed. Did we go back to normal security after 9 11? Most of what people call security is just theatre but it remained just the same.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The only time I have ever seen a seller disappear like that was around the middle or end of March, when I ordered surgical shoe covers, because masks suddenly became unobtainium, and the shoe covers were the only source of non-woven polypropelyne I could find for masks. The listing and seller disappeared a couple of days after I placed the order, but the shipment still updated. It took about a month to get here, rather than the 5 days they advertised, because it shipped directly from China. I ended up with at least twice as much as I ordered, so I didn't complain, and surgical shoe coverings make great mask filters (fold them in half and they are the perfect shape, and 4 ply, just safety pin them to the edge of your cotton mask). I ended up giving most of them out to elderly friends and family.

So it's possible that the shipments are still coming. Things are weird on Amazon right now.
It is not whether the shipment comes but that it was a bait and switch. Other people are reporting the same problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Not wearing a mask TRIGGR TEH LIBRULS and/or FITE LIBRAL NANY STAET OPRESSUN. There's literally no actual logic behind it.

I'd rather wear one, not only for saftey of myself and others, apparently it offends conservatives to no end. That's a definite bonus :D
Plus bonus bonus. You basically get to wear a slogan tee or dress up as Bane.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Plus bonus bonus. You basically get to wear a slogan tee or dress up as Bane.
I'm wearing my "Wastelands" painter's mask. I got funny looks from the cop at the grocery store.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
These people demanding the "right" to infect the population at large, comparing themselves to Rosa Parks, feminists and others all as they wave their holocaust death camp slogan and demanding armed entry into public spaces is just too much for me. They are a goddamn menace and a hazard to all of us.

But, sigh, they've got the money bankrolling their anti-social activities and I expect they will, especially with the monster at the helm in the white house, get their way.
His take? "They're very good people, they're just angry.".

Calling Nazis "very good people" again. I hope Biden's ad team intercuts that with footage of the Auschwitz motto sign.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Tried to visit the walmart website and was forwarded to google. Anyone else?

ETA

Firefox and Chrome

Even from google search results, walmart was being forwarded to google. But I visited the grocery subdomain, and got the walmart grocery page. From there I was able to get the walmart home page, and now it works no matter how I get there.

Weird.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid. This is especially true with MAGAts.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Tried to visit the walmart website and was forwarded to google. Anyone else?

ETA

Firefox and Chrome

Even from google search results, walmart was being forwarded to google. But I visited the grocery subdomain, and got the walmart grocery page. From there I was able to get the walmart home page, and now it works no matter how I get there.

Weird.
Sounds like DNS issues, like you were working with a corrupted cache perhaps.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Just ordered masks from two different etsy sellers. Shoulda done that a week ago.

My bandana mask doesn't work at all. I breathe around it rather than through it, and just about had to abandon my groceries and give up, or pass out trying.

I thought by now the oligarchs would have a solution, but none of them have masks of any kind available locally.

I need Excedrin immediately. Going to try a tee shirt around my neck, clothespinned around my face.

Saw a neat improvised mask with men's underwear. Basically, put your face through the leg, wrap the rest of it around the top of your head. Tried it with my underwear. It might work for Andre the giant :ROFLMAO:

ETA if not for pandemic, I wouldn't know my thighs are five inches bigger than my head. Maybe I'll publish all the stupid shit I learn while I'm bored, but maybe not that one.

Last edited:

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I have a lot of hair. Looking for a solution that goes under the hair. I think what I'm going to try is to put it on so the neck is over the nose, and clothespin the excess fabric behind my neck, under the hair, and just leave the rest of it loose around the neck, like I haven't finished pulling it on. Looks kinda like I'm robbing a bank, but heck, lots of people are rockin' that look these days.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Just ordered masks from two different etsy sellers. Shoulda done that a week ago.

My bandana mask doesn't work at all. I breathe around it rather than through it, and just about had to abandon my groceries and give up, or pass out trying.

I thought by now the oligarchs would have a solution, but none of them have masks of any kind available locally.

I need Excedrin immediately. Going to try a tee shirt around my neck, clothespinned around my face.

Saw a neat improvised mask with men's underwear. Basically, put your face through the leg, wrap the rest of it around the top of your head. Tried it with my underwear. It might work for Andre the giant :ROFLMAO:
i have rather a variety now: some cheap surgical masks that my brother sent me: thin elastic ear loops are uncomfortable af and break easily.
A couple of better ones my hairstylist gave me. Better ear loops and a more substantial mask, but harder to breathe: you breathe in, and the inner mask gets sucked in too. This, from what I've been reading, is a common issue.
A fitted cloth one I got from Etsy. Still haven't gotten the hang of positioning the metal strip so it doesn't pop up over my nose. On the other hand, it's easier to breather breathe that way.
A balaclava-type one I got from Amazon. Still working on it, but this one has the best chance of my being able to wear it with my sunglasses (my brother had said to protect my eyes as well). The trick will be too position it so my glasses don't fog up but it doesn't fall off my nose.
That last one might work for you because you can pull it all the way down and then just the face part up.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I have to wear glasses, so no fancy eye protection, the rare times I go out - have to go do bloodwork and see our doctor again soon - not -real- happy with it but it needs doing - at least, since we see the same NP, spouse and I get to go together, but..... ugh.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I have to do a double take when people want to open up now, especially getting completely back to normal. Shy of everyone having a reliable vaccine shot I would estimate mostly normal is a year off. Even after a widely available vaccine the definition of normal has changed. Did we go back to normal security after 9 11? Most of what people call security is just theatre but it remained just the same.
It is certainly not time yet, but if this were to continue for a year, people would have to go out regardless. The economy would fall apart and people have to eat.