How COVID-19 is affecting society

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I think science wins in this case - I mean, the virus does not care who you support.

I would be fine with them killing themselves, but they are putting more at risk with their manslaughtering selfishness.

I also firmly believe they ought to all be locked up on attempted man slaughter charges, personally.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I think science wins in this case - I mean, the virus does not care who you support.

I would be fine with them killing themselves, but they are putting more at risk with their manslaughtering selfishness.

I also firmly believe they ought to all be locked up on attempted man slaughter charges, personally.
Who would have thought our dystopian suppressors would indeed have the greater good in mind? What irony...

Sovereignty

SL Rez
I've heard similar sentiments about global warming. The problem is that there is a lag time built into both GW and COVID19. By the time the results of the experiments come in, it's too late.

Of course, GW has a far greater lag and ultimately is much more disruptive. That's a pleasant thought.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I know I’d read about him before. There’s a TV writer I follow who often calls out Twitter for allowing hate posts (especially antisemitism, because he himself is Jewish), and I’m pretty sure it was him who posted about it.
I hadn’t come across Icke’s posts myself, but I realized when I read that article that I’d seen posts from his followers, or at least kindred spirits..
Now YouTube have removed his channel, too.

Shame it took Covid-19 and 5G to make it happen, but better late than never.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Sigh ... someone is doing a bait and switch on amazon for alchohol pads, basically taking advantage of the situation and there is no good way to return something to china without most of your refund going to postage and the rest not worth risking your life for. I submitted a review saying that and amazon rejected it. Maybe they did not like me saying scammers in a crisis should be shot.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Sigh ... someone is doing a bait and switch on amazon for alchohol pads, basically taking advantage of the situation and there is no good way to return something to china without most of your refund going to postage and the rest not worth risking your life for. I submitted a review saying that and amazon rejected it. Maybe they did not like me saying scammers in a crisis should be shot.
I got scammed on toilet paper last month. I knew the tracking number was hinky, soI checked the seller page, and lo and behold, reviews saying it was a scam and future with the exact same tracking number as me. It took me a few tries to convince Amazon that there was no point in waiting til the supposed arrival date but eventually they gave me my refund.
At one point the rep said avoid 3rd party seller buy it from Amazon. I said fine, you got any Scott toilet paper for me? (Eventually they did and I caught it at the right time).
Alcohol wipes I was lucky enough to score a couple of boxes early on, thank the universe.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I got half scammed. Ordered mask filter inserts, and they arrived in a zip-lock bag as if the seller had broken up a box packaged for bulk use instead of individually sealed (or in twos, like the others I ordered have been). Not sure how much I trust PPE that isn't sealed. And they sent a couple of tracking numbers, as if the first was just to buy them time to get more. The listing is no longer on Amazon.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I got half scammed. Ordered mask filter inserts, and they arrived in a zip-lock bag as if the seller had broken up a box packaged for bulk use instead of individually sealed (or in twos, like the others I ordered have been). Not sure how much I trust PPE that isn't sealed. And they sent a couple of tracking numbers, as if the first was just to buy them time to get more. The listing is no longer on Amazon.
I ordered 50 surgical masks from Amazon in Feb., received 11, seller gone.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

Article by Robert Reich.
The economy's not going to come "roaring back" no matter how bad he wants it, and even if he did everything right, which, needless to say, he won't. Any way it happens it'll be slow, gradual at best, and if too many people listen to him and there's another surge in cases, it'll crash again.
The best thing he could do would be to listen to the experts and care about people not just money. But we all know what the chances of that are.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The economy's not going to come "roaring back" no matter how bad he wants it, and even if he did everything right, which, needless to say, he won't. Any way it happens it'll be slow, gradual at best, and if too many people listen to him and there's another surge in cases, it'll crash again.
The best thing he could do would be to listen to the experts and care about people not just money. But we all know what the chances of that are.
Yes, plus no matter what he does and on what schedule normal is years away. We are not going to be able to stop socially distancing soon. Even if companies open does anyone think people with a telecommuting choice will willingly go out more than they have to? Even after a vaccine people will still be gunshy.

bubblesort

The only time I have ever seen a seller disappear like that was around the middle or end of March, when I ordered surgical shoe covers, because masks suddenly became unobtainium, and the shoe covers were the only source of non-woven polypropelyne I could find for masks. The listing and seller disappeared a couple of days after I placed the order, but the shipment still updated. It took about a month to get here, rather than the 5 days they advertised, because it shipped directly from China. I ended up with at least twice as much as I ordered, so I didn't complain, and surgical shoe coverings make great mask filters (fold them in half and they are the perfect shape, and 4 ply, just safety pin them to the edge of your cotton mask). I ended up giving most of them out to elderly friends and family.

So it's possible that the shipments are still coming. Things are weird on Amazon right now.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Considering that before this I didn't like going out except for Cons with fellow geeks and concerts with fellow music geeks, and even then, being too close caused me issues, even before all this?

Yeah, it will be a while before I can manage.
I unintentionally ended up in the tiny LGBT neighborhood in Phoenix. Covid shut down the coffee shops >_<

• 1Hug
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
If anyone has any references to explain, in a rigorous, non-dismissive way, why some people who should know better are so resistant to the idea of wearing a mask, I'd like to see it. I know some people whose line or work leads me to believe they are capable of understanding the purpose of the thing, but they seem irritated by the very thought of it.

As an example, I know someone of a technical bent, who has in fact invented technical gear and been employed by famous people, who is now a Trumper and refuses to wear a mask. In response to one of his videos I made what I thought was a super brief, non-condescending summary of the reason you wear a mask, and suggested he'd get better cooperation from people he approached if he wore one. He answered only a few of the hundreds of comments to his video, including mine, to say, very tersely, that he wasn't going to do that.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi