How COVID-19 is affecting society

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I'll admit, my -only- issue with being home and not going out is really wanting my gallbladder out and psych test results [because that was a long test, and only the half day version]. Otherwise, I am not ordering more wool to stab to life right now, in case somehow my spouse's work does shut down in this mess and we need the money, and I'm just playing games. I'm having to be careful with social media because, I'm stupid tense, which hurts.
 

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
I ran to Targay this morning and bought enough dog food to get us through a month. While there I observed that they were completely sold out of double stuff and mega stuff Oreos. They had plenty of regular Oreos....
 

Brenda Archer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
2,135
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
12005
I ran to Targay this morning and bought enough dog food to get us through a month. While there I observed that they were completely sold out of double stuff and mega stuff Oreos. They had plenty of regular Oreos....
I have seen those mega stuffs, but never gotten them. I might have to try it sometime.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
There's an older homeless woman that hangs around my neighborhood. She sounds much the crone/heckler in The Princess Bride. Instead of "Booo! Booo!" it's "Ewwww! Ewww! DisGUSTing! Ewww!" She'll heckle anyone she sees. "You think you're sooOOoo preeeetty, YOU'RE DISGUSTING!" You can hear her three blocks away sometimes.

Except today, she was quietly and gleefully going "Hip hip Hooray! Haha!" to herself. Pleased as punch. I've never seen her so happy before. So at least there's one person out there enjoying this quarantine! ;)

 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Aww... I know what you mean. Normally I can always find something to do and don’t get bored, I’m fine with staring off into space and dreaming , but knowing I “have to” stay in gets me antsy.

Just now the clouds parted and the sun is peaking through so I will go for a walk or ride. I’m goal oriented so dislike walking aimlessly, and now, I can’t even aim for a store for some random item. I guess I’ll have to think of something...
So I went for that long walk. I didn’t want to anymore (still very fatigued/headache) but since I was all “Sid, take a walk, la la la, you’ll feel better yada yada yada) I forced myself to do it, ha ha. Really glad I did, I’m really tired though now, but a good tired.

Anyway, I stoped at the dollar store for batteries that I really needed. I told myself I’d just go in, grab what I need, buy what I touch, not use a basket, etc just incase I do have the virus, and I ended up buying snacks, a bike seat cover, mascara, yarn, coconut oil, and a kitschy outside thermometer with a flamingo painted on. What is wrong with me?! I promise I didn’t touch anyone or cough, but still, I had one “job”. The world has gone crazy, there’s a pandemic, and I’m buying an “essential” flamingo thermometer. I’m ashamed. I’m never leaving my apartment again till this is over.

Also, I forgot the batteries.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I really don't think most humans have an idea on numbers. I really don't - if, instead of saying 3% mortality rate, we said, 'this has the potential to kill double the numbers of people who died in WWII' at least 97% would take it seriously. >.<
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Fake animal news abounds on social media as coronavirus upends life

SCATTERED AMID A relentless barrage of news about COVID-19 case surges, quarantine orders, and medical supply shortages on Twitter this week, some happy stories softened the blows: Swans had returned to deserted Venetian canals. Dolphins too. And a group of elephants had sauntered through a village in Yunnan, China, gotten drunk off corn wine, and passed out in a tea garden.

These reports of wildlife triumphs in countries hard-hit by the novel coronavirus got hundreds of thousands of retweets. They went viral on Instagram and Tik Tok. They made news headlines. If there’s a silver lining of the pandemic, people said, this was it—animals were bouncing back, running free in a humanless world.

But it wasn’t real.

The swans in the viral posts regularly appear in the canals of Burano, a small island in the greater Venice metropolitan area, where the photos were taken. The “Venetian” dolphins were filmed at a port in Sardinia, in the Mediterranean Sea, hundreds of miles away. No one has figured out where the drunken elephant photos came from, but a Chinese news report debunked the viral posts: While elephants did recently come through a village in Yunnan Province, China, their presence isn’t out of the norm, they aren’t the elephants in the viral photos, and they didn’t get drunk and pass out in a tea field.

The phenomenon highlights how quickly eye-popping, too-good-to-be-true rumors can spread in times of crisis. People are compelled to share posts that make them emotional. When we’re feeling stressed, joyous animal footage can be an irresistible salve. The spread of social phenomena is so powerful, 2016 research shows, that it can follow same models that trace the contagion of epidemics.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
In case someone else hasn't mentioned it, Loeffler's husband is CEO of the New York Stock Exchange. Any bets on if their buddies also got the word to sell early?
That reminds me... here's a fun DIY project to keep you busy during the quarantine!