How COVID-19 is affecting society

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
I predicted (to my husband) that the Trump Crime Family would try to make money off the disaster, since that’s how they conceive of governing.

Now that we find the senators have done so, I have no doubt at all Trump did as well. Mark my words. There is no bottom.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I predicted (to my husband) that the Trump Crime Family would try to make money off the disaster, since that’s how they conceive of governing.

Now that we find the senators have done so, I have no doubt at all Trump did as well. Mark my words. There is no bottom.
Hotel bailouts in 3-2-

:)
 

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
I had to venture out to do laundry today. I wore an N95 mask and gloves, and took hand sanitizer with me.

When I got there, a dude was standing in the doorway watching his laundry dry, and he was wearing a mask over his mouth but not his nose. He had no gloves. He was scratching his nose.

Me: Dude, the mask isn't doing you any good if it doesn't cover your nose too.
Him: I can't breathe with it over my nose.

While I sympathize (I'm an asthmatic), it's apparently a whole lot harder to breathe if you have the virus. Don't be dumb.
Also, other people in the laundromat weren't keeping their distance. I had to wait in my car for people to get done socializing and shaking out every piece of clothing they owned, scrutinizing it in microscopic detail, and placing it carefully and slowly into the dryer.

Meanwhile here's me:

Goes in. Shoves the lot into a washer. Throws in coins as fast as I can. Start the machine. Go to car, sanitize hands. Sit in car doing PVP battles in Pokemon Go. Go back in, dump laundry as fast as I can into the basket, get the fuck out.

For the entire hour my right eye was itching. I have discovered exactly how long I can hold out before I scratch an itch on my face. It's an hour and a half. I had laundry folded and put away, and a shower before that eyeball got relief.

I really don't enjoy this stay at home thing.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Staying at home sucks. Normally not, but now it does.
Put om the radio or tv news: Corona. Talk shows: Corona. Papers: Corona. The Internet: Corona.
This forums: god damn Corona as well.

By now I know that washing extra my hands is important. That keeping distance is important. That toilet paper seems most important of all.

Time for a blanket far over my head and stay 24/7 in bed.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Staying at home sucks. Normally not, but now it does.
Put om the radio or tv news: Corona. Talk shows: Corona. Papers: Corona. The Internet: Corona.
This forums: god damn Corona as well.

By now I know that washing extra my hands is important. That keeping distance is important. That toilet paper seems most important of all.

Time for a blanket far over my head and stay 24/7 in bed.
Aww... I know what you mean. Normally I can always find something to do and don’t get bored, I’m fine with staring off into space and dreaming , but knowing I “have to” stay in gets me antsy.

Just now the clouds parted and the sun is peaking through so I will go for a walk or ride. I’m goal oriented so dislike walking aimlessly, and now, I can’t even aim for a store for some random item. I guess I’ll have to think of something...
 

Caliandris

New member
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
245
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2006?


Priorities.
I sympathize with the no touching the cat thing. If I take my dog out for a walk, people make a beeline for her and before I have a chance to say anything they have patted her on the head or flung their arms around her neck. I've often fantasised about having dog trained to bark and attack on command, but sadly although I have managed to impart sit, lie down and up, I have not managed to do that, and so she remains perfectly friendly in the face of these unwarranted incursions into her personal space. She's jolly clean though.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Staying at home sucks. Normally not, but now it does.
Put om the radio or tv news: Corona. Talk shows: Corona. Papers: Corona. The Internet: Corona.
This forums: god damn Corona as well.

By now I know that washing extra my hands is important. That keeping distance is important. That toilet paper seems most important of all.

Time for a blanket far over my head and stay 24/7 in bed.
Steam, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. If/when the news gets to be too heavy, they can be distractions even if for a little while.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I've got the reverse problem with dogs/owners. Narrow sidewalks and people with long leashes and friendly dogs. "No thank you, it's Spring, my allergies are already miserable and I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH your very cute and excited fur-child or get it's dander on my clothing. Even if there wasn't a quarantine!!"

But anyway. Part of my Quar-routine is letting my vampire-gene / natural night-owl nature run rampant. All the 24/7 stuff in my area shut down years ago, there's no urge to go out late at night, like there is in the daytime. Makes curling up with a warm computer for hours much more tolerable/normal. :)