How COVID-19 is affecting society

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Oh! Sorry for posting fake news... 😷

(After posting, I almost deleted it because seeing the image of his face with mouth partly open like that, talking about oral sex, my mind went places. Nightmarish and nausea inducing... I regretted being the one to inflict in on anyone else.)
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
I got bored, so I went to Wolfram Alpha and started calculating whether or not we have enough surface land mass to have everybody in the world to stand 6 square feet apart. Turns out we do, and we have 135,010,000 square feet to spare.

Because, you know... that might be useful to know, someday... but probably not, LOL
 
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Here in the UK, Keir Starmer has been elected (with a thumping majority, including my vote) as leader of the Labour Party to replace Jeremy Corbyn.

He's appointed Anneliese Dodds as shadow chancellor, and here she is being interviewed about the effects of Covid-19 on the economy, in a scene that must be familiar to many parents video-conferencing from home:



 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Dr Drew is copyright striking videos that show a compilation of him strongly insisting that COVID19 is not dangerous.

Here is the video he wants to take down.

Here is his lame apology for it.

Just another reason to never trust a doctor with a TV show. They're all sleazeballs who value ratings over honesty.
A tweet for every occasion (courtesy of the Daily Beast)


 

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,849
SL Rez
2017

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Breathing can spread the virus too.
But we better not stop breathing either.

We have to be careful not to become too paranoid over this covid-19 thingy.
It is as dangerous/harmless as any other delivery, like ordering a pizza and should be treated the same way.
Don't eat the box and wash your hands carefully after unpacking.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Trump economic adviser confirms heated dispute with Fauci over hydroxychloroquine

Pressed on why he is more qualified to weigh in on treating the novel coronavirus than Fauci, Navarro said he was competent to read the literature.
“Doctors disagree about things all the time. My qualifications in terms of looking at the science is that I’m a social scientist. I have a PhD, and I understand how to read statistical studies,” he said. “You could be a plumber and read that and come to the same conclusion.”
Yeah, but I think I'll continue to prefer to take medical advice from medical experts, advice on plumbing from qualified plumbers, and advice on economic forecasting from Trump's economic advisors when I want to know how to make astrologers look good.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
I have a PhD, and I've taken graduate level statistics courses. I'll trust the medical doctor on this one.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
I should say I trust doctors in their field, not in general. A GP is a generalist. I consult specialists when necessary. And the Surgeon General who has been much closer to Trump is an anesthesiologist who has studied chronic conditions like smoking but is not an epidemiologist. And don't get me started on the brain surgeon running HUD right now...

eta: And I did qualify THE medical doctor, speaking about Fauci. There are a lot of Doctors saying absolute rubbish about the current crisis just for the publicity, and most of them are self promoting pond scum who should be locked up for endangering the public health in the best of times.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,890
SL Rez
2007
You must have not studied along medical doctors - I agree on doctors into serious reseach, but sadly by trust into run of the mill medical doctors has been shattered forever.
I'd say that I trust the consensus opinions of the medical establishment. I have also had the experience that individual doctors are often quacks. ...I just.. HOPE that the quackery gets averaged out called out among the top researchers.

I do think many doctors and nurses choose to go into medicine for personal reasons, and some of those people did a good job of memorizing medical literature for Med school tests, then substituting it all for personal beliefs once they graduated.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
If so, it doesn't look like they explained them to the drivers.
While it increases the risk to the drivers, it greatly decreases the risks to the community in general.

It helps parents of families whose finances are so precarious at the best of times that the children qualify for free school meals so they don't have to worry about trying to make up that, too, and also means they don't have to go out to buy that food from the stores.

It also helps the children by ensuring they get the lunch.
 

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,849
SL Rez
2017
I'd say that I trust the consensus opinions of the medical establishment. I have also had the experience that individual doctors are often quacks. ...I just.. HOPE that the quackery gets averaged out called out among the top researchers.

I do think many doctors and nurses choose to go into medicine for personal reasons, and some of those people did a good job of memorizing medical literature for Med school tests, then substituting it all for personal beliefs once they graduated.
I delight in affirming your believes that reseachers in the medical field usually are a totally different breed of animal. I had many oral exams by those people and also had the honor to teach a graduated pharmacist doctor programming in R. Those people really love and embrace science.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,849
SL Rez
2017
I was refering to the picture of the driver wearing a mask - around his neck.
I would not be too surprised if some PR guru asked him to pull it down for a more "friendly and heartwarmig" picture,...
I agree it sends the wrong message though.