How COVID-19 is affecting society

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Wisconsin governor orders delay of primary election until June

"Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers on Monday ordered a suspension of his state's primary election just one day before it was scheduled to take place, in a last-minute move that Republican state legislative leaders say they will ask the state Supreme Court to block. "

And why would R's commit themselves to such a politically risky path for what is essentially a Democratic party election?

ETA: So I really should read the whole article.

"Evers and Republican leaders of the state legislature had long resisted calls to move the state's election, which also features a battle for a state Supreme Court seat that could determine the outcome of a voting rights case in which more than 240,000 voters could be removed from the state's rolls ahead of November's general election."

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Ohio's Governor could not move the primary, so he had the top medical officer in the state close the polls for public safety. Technically our primary never moved but they vastly extended the deadline for absentee ballots.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Ohio's Governor could not move the primary, so he had the top medical officer in the state close the polls for public safety. Technically our primary never moved but they vastly extended the deadline for absentee ballots.
From the article:

"In an urgent letter over the weekend, the mayors of 10 of Wisconsin's biggest cities, including Milwaukee and Madison, wrote a letter to Andrea Palm, the state's top health official, urging her to "step up" and do what Ohio had done "

Nothing's happened yet. They've also issued an order extending the period for absentee ballots but the R's are appealing to the US Supreme Court. Kavanaugh gets to hear the request at least initially because of the short fuse.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Kroger's my "primary" grocery store. They weren't doing this when I went there on Saturday; but apparently in some stores they're testing making the store one-way inside; that is, customers will have to walk a fixed path through the store while shopping. The idea is that this will help with social distancing because since everyone is walking the same direction in every aisle, there will be no problems with people going opposite ways having to squeeze past each other, especially in aisles which would bring them within only a foot of each other. It's an interesting concept, but it might be a bit of a challenge for someone like me - I have this weird way of shopping; I have like a budget, and I do go through the whole store in a fixed way to pick up all the necessities on my list, but then I tend to go back through the store randomly to grab "extras" like snacks or lunch-making items or treats to use up the rest of the trip budget. If the whole store is one-way I'll have to pick those things up along the way and hope my budget holds out to the end of the line. Anxiety-inducing!

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Coronavirus: Paris bans outdoor exercise between 10am and 7pm
Paris has banned all outdoor exercise between 10am and 7pm in a tightening of containment measures aimed at preventing the spread of coronavirus.

French authorities issued a statement warning anyone caught jogging or exercising in public from Wednesday during those hours will face fines of between €135 (£120) and €375 (£330).

“It is through responsibility, self-regulation and collective discipline that Parisians will best help health workers in their fight against the epidemic,” the joint statement from the city’s mayor department and police prefecture said.

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Some moderately good news for Allstate and American Family auto insurance members:

Allstate, American Family to refund portion of auto insurance premiums
Two major U.S. auto insurance providers say they will refund premiums to customers who are driving far less frequently due to coronavirus restrictions.

Chicago-based Allstate said its "Shelter-in-Place Payback" will include more than $600 million to be distributed over the next two months. ... Allstate said most customers will be refunded 15 percent of their monthly premium in April and May.

American Family said it will return $200 million in the form of a one-time full payment of $50 per covered vehicle, per policy.