How COVID-19 is affecting society

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Ten bucks left, no place to go: How the pandemic and a broken unemployment system are upending people’s lives - Washington Post

In the meantime, the end of July meant the end of the initial round of federal emergency pandemic assistance. Republicans and Democrats in Congress are deadlocked over the scope of a second wave of federal help. No matter what that future assistance looks like, for people like Vought, still waiting for benefits from the spring and living without a financial cushion, the damage has been done.

...
It can take years for people to crawl back out of poverty. It isn’t only deaths and lingering health issues people will be facing in the future (are facing now) after all this, whether or not Trump loses the election.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Ten bucks left, no place to go: How the pandemic and a broken unemployment system are upending people’s lives - Washington Post



It can take years for people to crawl back out of poverty. It isn’t only deaths and lingering health issues people will be facing in the future (are facing now) after all this, whether or not Trump loses the election.
Yes, if we manage to remove Trump, it's going from being in a pan with boiling oil to one slightly more comfortable but still with the fire lit and oil burning at a lower level.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
It’s so sad and shocking because some of it, a lot of it, could have been avoided. Certainly by a country as rich as the US.

Jesus, I even have difficulty using the word “sad” now. He’s even corrupted that word. I truly hope his death is a long and painful one.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
It’s so sad and shocking because some of it, a lot of it, could have been avoided. Certainly by a country as rich as the US.

Jesus, I even have difficulty using the word “sad” now. He’s even corrupted that word. I truly hope his death is a long and painful one.
Covid-19 seems appropriate. No messy business of assassination and yet he would suffer the fate that he inflicted deliberately upon at least a portion of the population.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
House speaker Nancy Pelosi escalated an attack on Dr Deborah Birx, a senior scientist on Donald Trump’s coronavirus taskforce, in television comments on Sunday as Birx defended the administration’s handling of the pandemic.

Pelosi, the top Democrat in Congress, was asked on ABC’s This Week whether she has confidence in Birx, a renowned public health expert who has frequently appeared alongside Trump in briefings on the virus.

“I think the president has been spreading disinformation about the virus and she is his appointee so, I don’t have confidence there, no,” Pelosi told ABC. However Pelosi praised another scientist on Trump’s task force, Dr Anthony Fauci.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,706
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
  • 1Agree
  • 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Pamela

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
415
Location
Airport
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
-1000
This is not quite the right place for this, but I am not sure what would be better.... This is story is a bit like alts in SL back in the good old days. BethAnn McLaughlin became famous in the STEM community when she helped found the MeTooSTEM organization. The group imploded after allegations that input from women of color was being sidelined. (more here.) She is back in the news because the person behind a twitter account by @Sciencing_Bi was reported to have passed away due to COVID-19. The person behind this account claimed to be part First Nations and worked at ASU. After closer inspection, nobody at her claimed home institution of ASU knows about any faculty members who have died recently. Now there are claims that BethAnn McLaughlin set this up as a shadow account a very long time ago and is trying to take advantage of the pandemic to let the account go.

More details here:

and here:


As for the odd remark about worms, @mbeisen, made a crude remark about the flatworm Caenorhabditis elegans on twitter. It ended up erupting in a big brouhaha about how STEM can be an unwelcome place, and that goes in another thread about how the unexpected keeps on rolling through 2020...
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
Looks like there is a rapidly growing number of very angry survivors, hopefully enough to dump Abbott in 2022.

 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
As for the odd remark about worms, @mbeisen, made a crude remark about the flatworm Caenorhabditis elegans on twitter. It ended up erupting in a big brouhaha about how STEM can be an unwelcome place, and that goes in another thread about how the unexpected keeps on rolling through 2020...

(Also posted here)
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
Covid-19 seems appropriate. No messy business of assassination and yet he would suffer the fate that he inflicted deliberately upon at least a portion of the population.
Yep, I think that a month on a respirator before he bites the dust would be very appropriate. Also, they should keep him awake for it. He's responsible for so many deaths and I can't fathom that there are still some people who can't see that.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
What an eye opener.
The US is in a far worse state than I imagined.
Boris Johnson and his ministers have made a bad enough mess of things in the UK because they introduced lockdown belatedly and, since then, have frequently shown themselves to be incompetent.

The US response, however, has been in a completely different league.
 

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
Because Freedom.


And fucking idiots.
This may surprise a few people but I used to own a Heritage Softtail and I was treasurer for the local HOG (Harley Owners Group) where we lived. (I've been riding bikes of one kind or another since I was a kid, the Softtail was my first Harley.) So one year we [several people from HOG] went to Sturgis together. My ex and I went on our bikes, from SoCal to Sturgis, through weather cold enough that I had to sit in a bathtub for two hours to warm up at the end of the day, my hands were literally blue even though I was wearing gloves. Sleet, rain and burning sun, we did the whole trip on our bikes along with five other people on bikes and a truck that one of the guy's wife drove in case one of the bikes broke down.

Sturgis was a let down for me. I thought I'd see several large groups riding east but what I saw was a bunch of elite (doctors, dentists, bankers, etc.) trailering their expensive bikes to show off at Sturgis. It was packed when we got there. We'd made our hotel reservations a year ahead. It was a once in a lifetime experience but honestly, the trip on our bikes was much more memorable than being at Sturgis actually was.

I suspect some people will wear masks and try to social distance. Everyday bikers probably will - I met a lot of awesome people who were bikers and not all of them were right wing nuts. With the exception of the "wanna be/elites" most were pretty damn nice, even the 1%er's. Some make the trip to Sturgis every year on their bikes, it's like a religion. I have some respect for that even though I wouldn't do it during a major virus outbreak.