How COVID-19 is affecting society

danielravennest

SLU Posts

The "cure" is as recommended by the President, it seems.
In the spirit of Gilbert & Sullivan, they should make the punishment fit the crime, and have the sellers take their own "medicine", then distribute the video to their customers.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Once again Donnie tries to fool us. He can't *force* schools to open. It's a state and local decision. Whatever federal education funding there is, was passed by Congress in the budget. He can't just withhold it. And even places that open their schools, the parents will decide if they want to risk their kids going. Lastly, what kind of idiot want's to risk his election on angry parents shouting "you're trying to kill my kids"?
The problem comes in when you have murderous GOP stooges willing to do whatever gropenfurher demands.... which is why Florida schools might not even have the option of online teaching AT ALL. And this could also affect colleges; a friend might be losing his job because of this BS.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
*sigh*

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro says he is confident that he will swiftly recover from the new coronavirus thanks to treatment with hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug that has not been proven effective against COVID-19.

Bolsonaro said he tested positive for the new coronavirus on Tuesday after months of downplaying its severity while deaths mounted rapidly inside the country. The president told reporters he underwent a lung X-ray on Monday after experiencing fever, muscle aches and malaise. As of Tuesday, his fever had subsided, he said, and he attributed the improvement to hydroxychloroquine.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is how civilizations fall. A crisis in one area triggers a cascade of failures that continue to ripple outward.
And another example

Dr Raeford Brown, a former chair of the Food and Drug Administration’s opioid advisory committee, is a longstanding critic of drug industry influence over opioid medical policy and the government’s response to the epidemic. He sees a parallel with coronavirus with US states lifting strong social distancing orders too early under corporate pressure.

“The United States is not good at doing public health,” he said. “It failed the test with opioids and it failed the test with viral pandemics. But coronavirus and pandemics, and the things like the opioid crisis, are much more likely to get us than the Russians or the Chinese are.”

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Animation showing world deaths timeline.

“Just a flu...”

Interesting comparison, but note that for instance, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease accounts for about 1.5 million deaths in that time period but is not displayed on the chart. It also probably maintains a steady rate unlike covid. That is 4x the number of deaths from the virus.

The top 10 causes of death

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts

It is too early to decide on whether or not this will be an economic success story. Employment rates increased over the last month, but with the current increase in cases there are indicators that it might start moving downward again.

There are still a large number of people filing for unemployment benefits:

This latest round of cuts is more worrisome as some are warning that these cuts are not just in response to a slowdown but part of a broader plan by companies to cut back for a longer term:

The stock market, though, is doing much better. Good thing all those companies in the US could receive stimulus benefits without the clumsy burden of helping anybody but stockholders. So nice that we have a President out there working for the little people and cleaning up that whole swampy messy thing.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Maybe stop dropping your hat? It's bad for the brim and crown.

Ohio State is getting rid of as much in person instruction as possible. Studio and lab classes will have staggered meetings. We were offered a choice of in-person, on-line, or hybrid, and only one person in my unit is teaching a hybrid class. Mass lecture classes did not have a choice, there will be no auditorium classes.

But ICE is fucking around with rules for international students. I know some of mine will stay in China for now, but anyone in or coming to campus from abroad has to be careful not to take too many on-line classes or risk their student visa.
The BBC on what it's like for international students in the US right now.

Aeons ago, I was on a J-something visa as part of a postgraduate exchange programme with the University of California for a couple of years, and I'm trying to imagine what it would have been like for me had something like this happened at the time.